Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

Boy I'm having a helluva time launching this SL290 properly. When I do get ahold of the ball it flies no higher than maybe 40'? Otherwise i'm firing weed whacker shots that would be good if I was hunting a deer.

I'm playing 18 tomorrow and bagging two drivers so we'll see what happens.

That's a pretty high launching shaft, so it's either a bad fit for you or something else is going on. Did you demo it beforehand?

Boy I'm having a helluva time launching this SL290 properly. When I do get ahold of the ball it flies no higher than maybe 40'? Otherwise i'm firing weed whacker shots that would be good if I was hunting a deer.

Swing issue perhaps? Like Hawk said when I gamed this thing it went high and straight for me

Swing issue perhaps? Like Hawk said when I gamed this thing it went high and straight for me

I definitely think there are swing issues here! It's just too late in the season to take any lessons and have them pay off I'm afraid.
I have the face all taped up to protect it just in case i want to re-sell it... does tape on the face ever create any issues with interaction between the ball and the club?

I'd take it off, RF. You're not going to be able to sell it for much anyway just based on the age and typical resale value.

I'd take it off, RF. You're not going to be able to sell it for much anyway just based on the age and typical resale value.

Hmm yeah, you're probably right. I would just hate to see a sky mark on it haha

Hmm yeah, you're probably right. I would just hate to see a sky mark on it haha
You could always tape the crown and leave the face untaped... shouldn't be any issues then either way.

Agreed I paid full price for this thing last year and it dropped half in less than 8 months. Good thing I love this club or I'd be upset.

That's the nature of the industry unfortunately. Especially now that online resalers own most of the used club market.

I had the same issue when I first got mine, low screamers. I could deal with it.

I found once I got the tempo down better (smoother), the ball flight drastically improved. I hit it higher and longer than I ever hit my Nike, or my Cobra.

Keep at it, hopefully it will work out for you.

Well I hit a couple boomers with it today - it must have been because I was chilling out at that point in the game and just hit the ball real nice and smooth like you said braddman. Otherwise I was hitting off the toe a lot and it didn't go so well.

Have the 10.5 sl270 c kua 39 stiff, great driver. It is just as long as my cleveland classic 290 which has the c kua 43s. Think I like the classic a little better because I can swing pretty much full out with it with good accuracy, but will keep both. I hate the stock grips, changed those out to standard weight grips with some build up.

Cleveland UltraLite Launcher XL270

Cleveland UltraLite Launcher XL270

My dad recently got one from a friend who couldn't hit it slightly used, regular flex, trouble is, it's 9 Degree driver when he plays 10, I play 10.5 but I've dabbled in 9.5 with decent results, so, do you think either of us could hit it?

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

How would any of us have any idea. Go try it.

THPing on Tapatalk

How would any of us have any idea. Go try it.

THPing on Tapatalk

Great response. Thanks for helping him out.

My dad recently got one from a friend who couldn't hit it slightly used, regular flex, trouble is, it's 9 Degree driver when he plays 10, I play 10.5 but I've dabbled in 9.5 with decent results, so, do you think either of us could hit it?

To answer your question, without being a prick...

What kind of ball flight do you currently see with your 10.5* driver?

I have always struggled with lower lofted drivers, so prefer to play a higher lofted driver. It all depends on your ball flight.

With the flex code on that driver you will be able to get the ball up in the air well. However it is a low spin driver, so if you already prefer higher loft, it might flight too low for you.

With the flex code on that driver you will be able to get the ball up in the air well. However it is a low spin driver, so if you already prefer higher loft, it might flight too low for you.

Yeah I hit well and some days high, so maybe I'll be able to hit it well!

To answer your question, without being a prick...

What kind of ball flight do you currently see with your 10.5* driver?

I have always struggled with lower lofted drivers, so prefer to play a higher lofted driver. It all depends on your ball flight.

High and far, sometimes too far haha thanks War Eagle and JB, I knew it was an odd question but I figured to ask

High and far, sometimes too far haha thanks War Eagle and JB, I knew it was an odd question but I figured to ask

If you have a high ball flight, the 9* shouldn't be of worry. I'm assuming it is the stock shaft as well, which like JB said, will help with the launch a bit.

Let us know how it works for ya!

If you have a high ball flight, the 9* shouldn't be of worry. I'm assuming it is the stock shaft as well, which like JB said, will help with the launch a bit.

Let us know how it works for ya!

If my dad likes it he gets it, so I'd keep my Burner 09 which I love!!!!

PM sent TI.

Got a 9.0 T3 SL290 on the Market place w/ a Martix Kujoh shaft in it for only $50 plus shipping.

I had a chance to hit the XL270 and SL290 at a Roger Dunn today. I hit about 20 balls with each club using a FlightScope launch monitor. Here were my initial thoughts/findings:

XL270:
- Hated the grip. The club didn't feel secure in my hands and it did very little in the way of shock absorption.

- My experience with the XL270 was a lot like Vadim's. It really feels like I'm hitting rocks with this driver. I really did not like the feel or performance of this driver.

- Even though I expected the club to be light, it was still surprising to feel how light it really is once you get it in your hands. Cleveland did a great job maintaining a traditional swing weight. As others have pointed out, you really don't notice the weight of the club after a few swings.

SL290:
- Hands down, this is the best driver I have ever hit. EVER. I think I finally found the perfect shaft for my swing. The :miyazaki: C.Kua 43 is !@#$-ing AWESOME.

- I'm a below average hacker at best and I usually spray my drives all over the place. With the SL290, my misses still hit the fairway (at least according to the FlightScope).

- I've demoed a lot of different drivers on the FlightScope and the I've never hit the distances I achieved with the SL290. I hit the SL290 side by side with the Burner SuperFast 2.0 (the Roger Dunn had demos available) and I was getting 20-25 more yards with the SL290.

- In terms of feel, the SL290 is fantastic. Just a really solid feel and sound on impact.

- I think the Lamkin grip in the SL290 is a huge upgrade over the Winn grip on the XL270. A lot more tacky and shock absorbent.

Both the XL270 and the SL290 look beautiful at address and the headcovers are really nice too. For my swing, the SL290 is the total package. Kudos to Cleveland for producing 3 models to better fit different types of players. While the XL270 didn't fit my swing, I'm sure lots of people will love it the way I love the SL290. Can't wait until February 18th!
This is why I love THP......Amazing feedback from members even on an old obsolete driver. I picked one up toda on ebay for $69.00 brand new with the plastic and stickers plus head cover. I remember regretting selling it back in 11' when I was struggling financially going through a rough pperiod. Can't wait to hit it possibly Monday or Tuesday to see if it dethrones the K15. Took me a while to find the thread but here it is.

Back