If pros can put up 80 then what about you

I've put up rounds of 110+, then a couple weeks later been in the 80's at the same course.

This is what I call a blow up hole. I try and avoid them at all cost. Last Sunday I had a pretty good round going and got to my nemisis hole, #14 at my club. I had 2 penalties and carded a 9 on this par5. Still managed an 87 but I typically shoot low 90's at my club playing the blue tee's and thats with usually 2 blow up holes. They happen all the time and I just push forward. So a bad round for me is anything over 100.

I can throw up a big number every once in a while, I usually hover in the mid to low 70's but threw up a 90 something a couple months ago in Orlando. Big numbers are not fun while their happening but provide comedic value a couple days later lol.
I think we are all guilty of throwing up a 90 or so that day!

In my last 20 scores I have a low round of 79 and a high of 101. I've had some double digit holes in there as well.

I know several guys at my club that frequently pick up when they get to 7 saying "thats the most I can take for handicap". Where I play on and keep my actual score then deduct what's necessary for ESC and record that for handicap. The 101 above I shot was recorded as a 98 for example.

That's pretty much why I don't take more 10s than I already do. If the course is busy I pick up, move on, and put in my ESC score. I'm not gambling on those rounds, l'm not bragging up a score afterwards, I've just passed the point where I'm learning anything but the theoretical maximum of my blood pressure.

My home course....same tees, etc. I could see a 20 stroke difference (76-95). Heck, in last 6 weeks I have shot 79 & 93.

What I find more amazing is hearing about people here who have never shot double figures on a single hole ever, yet, Bubba did it on a par 3 on Sunday in Augusta. You hear about pros shooting double figures quite often, but there are those here who never have?

Heck I suck, I do it at least a couple times a year!

I put up a 9 on a par 4 the other day (had to reload a couple times off the tee). I honestly can't remember my last double-digit score, but it's definitely happened. Lots of people don't get there because the true rules of golf go out the window at some point. Or, because of ESC they choose to not truly finish once they get past that point. Just an observation.

As for the OP, I don't think I shot anything over 89 in the last year, but my choice in courses wasn't extremely difficult much of the time, and I haven't shot over 81 since a tough two day experience at a tournament last summer. But when things go south on a course where OB/lots of lost ball opportunities loom, I'm capable of just about anything. Something in the 90s could certainly happen. I may not have the temperament to finish if I was going to shoot triple digits.

Snap hooked from my Galaxy S3

I can throw up a hundy.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

I can throw up a hundy.

Dude, my Bridgestone J40 that I ordered is a BOMBER! Love that GD ADDi 7 shaft!

I can do it, at an Invitational, take a 10 on the first hole and still have a great time

I haven't been over 100 in a while, but I won't be silly enough to say I can't shoot over that. On a really bad day I could see myself shooting 110.

absolutely i can go double digit on a hole. I dont think i ever had a round where i didnt have at least a couple snowmen or nines. Even my PB of 86 and more rounds close to that consisted of 8's and 9's.

It is feast or famine for me with the inconsistancies.

I am capable to golf tomorow and beat my PB with an 85 and yet can shoot a 105.
One round last year i was +2 after 8 holes :banana:and then trippled the next 3 or 4 in a row:banghead:.
One other time I had 6 pars and 2 birds :banana:and still managed a 103:banghead:in no specific order...lol
Think about that one, thats a minus 2 for 8 of the holes :banana:and a plus 31 for the other 10 holes:banghead:....go figure.:D.lol

Last edited:
I think my highest single hole score ever was a 11 on a par 5.

So, i guess im doing better than a couple of pros in that regard. Kevin Na comes to mind. The poor guy haha.

For round totals, i can give you anything up to 120 i guess, i'd rather not though :p

My worst round that I can remember vividly was a 101. When I start to go high I usually do it by committee; I will post a 5/6/7/8 on every single hole as opposed to have a 12 on the card but it has happened. Hole #17 at Poipu Bay (par 3) I put 4 in a row into the hazard off the tee...thank goodness we were playing match play.

Can't remember the last time I had a DD hole but I did have a 9 on a par 4 last week, and that was from the middle of the fairway.
Duffed my second & third, forth in the bunker, 3 to get out and 2 putts....

I've played with a few THPrs that have seen me shoot great scores and then turn around next time out and shoot high 80s.
When it gets going sideways for me, it can get real ugly. I mean I have no idea if I have a good shot in me on days like that. But you gotta take the good with the bad.

My worst scores have improved to where about 105 is probably the worst I can go. Put that number on the scorecard a little over a month ago, but it was assisted by 9 penalty strokes.

What I find more amazing is hearing about people here who have never shot double figures on a single hole ever, yet, Bubba did it on a par 3 on Sunday in Augusta. You hear about pros shooting double figures quite often, but there are those here who never have?

Heck, I always seem to save double figures for tournaments...makes you want to play in more of them. :banana:

I actually took a 10 on a par 5 in our first tournament this year. Yeah, I was pretty happy. :angry:

Every round of golf I play its a bad day. My scorecard usually includes a snowman and double digit every round. But in the end I am having fun and improving.

The worst round I can remember was earlier this year at metro west in Florida. I shot a 107 and only hit one water hazard. The 107 was all pure suckage.

Two weeks later I shot 90 on one of the toughest courses in RI.

I had a few very bad days at my club last year. It happens.

I would tell you haven't, only because my ESC for my GHIN has maxed me out at a 7 as long as I've been doing it!
Course Handicap Maximum Per Hole Score
9 or less Double Bogey
10 to 19 7
20 to 29 8
30 to 39 9
40 or more 10

I'm sure I've shot plenty of double figure holes when I has in 6th, 7th grade or so. None recently that I remember.

THPing on Tapatalk

I would tell you haven't, only because my ESC for my GHIN has maxed me out at a 7 as long as I've been doing it!

well actually thats just the score you would enter

you can take a 15 on a hole and enter a 7...but you still REALLY shot a 15 on it

I'm bad enough that my "horrible" rounds aren't really that much worse than my average ones. I feel like I strike the ball terribly, dribble the ball 30 yards multiple times, and only shoot 10 strokes worse than average.

Back