Worst wind you've ever playing in?

daveee blair

Reaction score
Handicap
10 GHIN
This past Monday and Tuesday I caddied for a friend in the SCGA Mid AM Championship at Bermuda Dunes in Palm Springs. The wind blew 30-40 all 3 rounds with gusts up to 50mph. I learned alot about ball flight and the affect of how balls roll into and down wind. It was a crazy experience seeing a someone hit their 200 yd club from 140 yds and have it come up 20 ft short of the green!!

What is the worst wind you have played in?

Bandon Dunes. I don't know what the number was but it was strong enough to blow my bag over.

I have played in 30+ MPH winds with gusts over 40MPH several times, in fact I hit a punch 3hybrid from 145 a few weeks ago and was just short of the green.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably 30-35 sustained with 50 gusts. All the downwind holes are cake then you get into the wind and get put through the meat grinder haha.

Bandon Dunes. I don't know what the number was but it was strong enough to blow my bag over.

This! It was blowing our push carts even though we had the brakes on. It was blowing our stand bags over. We couldn't tee the ball up. Craziness.

Second place is up where I went to college in central Washington. It's always windy there. I've had balls reach their peak and come back towards me.

40mph

THPing on Tapatalk

Yesterday the wind was 40mph gusting a little more it was brutal. I hit 5 iron to a green that I hit 8i usually thinking it would reach man was I wrong still left myself 98yds haha that turned out to be a massive 62yrd 5i hit flush!!!

30-40 mph winds at Ponte Vedra Inn & Club Ocean Course. Hit 3 wood into the par 3, 5th hole playing a little over 200 yards and made the front fringe.

Last edited:
This! It was blowing our push carts even though we had the brakes on. It was blowing our stand bags over. We couldn't tee the ball up. Craziness.

You know its bad when the ball wont stay on the tee!!

Yesterday the wind was 40mph gusting a little more it was brutal. I hit 5 iron to a green that I hit 8i usually thinking it would reach man was I wrong still left myself 98yds haha that turned out to be a massive 62yrd 5i hit flush!!!

LOL!! I love the 62yd pure long iron swings!!

Worst wind I've ever played in with about 25-30 sustained and gusting up to 40 mph. It was one of the least enjoyable rounds of golf I have ever played.

Probably 30-35 sustained with 50 gusts. All the downwind holes are cake then you get into the wind and get put through the meat grinder haha.

You definitely feel like the man when your hitting PW 180 yds, then the total opposite when you hit PW 30yds!!

Wow...only took 5 posts for that to be mentioned. Ha! It was brutal.

I figured, at least for some, it would be the worst they have played in. I cannot remember anything quite like it for me

Not a wind fan (pun intended :) ) so try to avoid but at the range on sunday, 3 wood was going about 90yds, I'm sure they were actually coming back to me by the time they landed!

The THP Invitational in Texas. Brutal

It was prrtty brutal. Even playing the course multiple times before and playing in DFW all my life that wind was a beating!!!

30 to 40 with 50 mph gusts. We actually get that a bunch here on the high plains corn country. 3w into it from 155, lol.

30 to 40 with 50 mph gusts. We actually get that a bunch here on the high plains corn country. 3w into it from 155, lol.

Pretty much this for me as well. Spring and fall is the worst usually.

Played the Sunday morning that the remnants of Hurrican Ike blew through Ohio. September 14, 2008. We finished 18 holes around 12:30pm just as it was getting nasty. I got home and neighbors were all hanging out in the street commenting on how hard the winds were blowing. They couldn't believe we were paying golf in it. A smashed aluminum can went flying down the street flipping end over end, so we all decided to get inside. I got comfortable on the couch for some NFL action when my son runs in the room & says, "the tree just fell on your car Dad!!!"

I'm guessing gusts were hitting 50mph when we finished. The National Weather Service officially recorded a gust at 74 mph that afternoon. We lost power for about 24 hours. Most were out several days. We lost some siding off the house and 90 feet of fence, which smashed the grill when it blew over.

Not a wind fan (pun intended :) ) so try to avoid but at the range on sunday, 3 wood was going about 90yds, I'm sure they were actually coming back to me by the time they landed!

One of the guys in our group had to hit a flop shot over a big bunker (only other option was going out sideways) and when hehit it, it landed about 3 yards behind him!! Guess he should have went out sideways.

45-50 mph win gusts up on Maumee Bay. Some things I remembered.

Somehow 1 putting 4 of the first 5 holes.

Running down the #2 fairway after my hat that blew off of my head

"piping" a driver on a 165 yard par 3, only to come up short on the fringe.

Played the Sunday morning that the remnants of Hurrican Ike blew through Ohio. September 14, 2008. We finished 18 holes around 12:30pm just as it was getting nasty. I got home and neighbors were all hanging out in the street commenting on how hard the winds were blowing. They couldn't believe we were paying golf in it. A smashed aluminum can went flying down the street flipping end over end, so we all decided to get inside. I got comfortable on the couch for some NFL action when my son runs in the room & says, "the tree just fell on your car Dad!!!"

I'm guessing gusts were hitting 50mph when we finished. The National Weather Service officially recorded a gust at 74 mph that afternoon. We lost power for about 24 hours. Most were out several days. We lost some siding off the house and 90 feet of fence, which smashed the grill when it blew over.

Thats crazy....glad you guys were okay other then a little damage to the house.

Second place is up where I went to college in central Washington. It's always windy there. I've had balls reach their peak and come back towards me.
I hit something like a 165 clubs into a 125 yard hole and came up 20 yards short :) It made for a good laugh.

Maybe my last practice round a couple weeks ago, I don't know the actual numbers but I would guess 30-40 MPH gusts, it was nuts! But fun for downwind shots!

Back