Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

I notice that most that are using the altitude irons are not using the DW or SW. What is your reason for not using the DW and SW which are part of the set?

I think it all comes down to if you like using the wedges from the set or prefer a different wedge setup.

Personally, I prefer to have 3 blade style wedges to compliment my irons, rather than going with wedges that blend with the set.

Personal preference, I do believem

I am supposed to done pondering. Sometimes I hate loving this place. Here we go again.

TapAhoy!

haha The Altitudes are calling ya name buddy :D

I love this set of irons and am glad I am seeing people getting them and also choosing them for their MC bags. Back before I knew who my sponsor for the MC was to be, I looked at all four company's clubs and was really impressed with these and had I been a Cleveland staffer, these were going to be in my bag without a doubt!

I love this set of irons and am glad I am seeing people getting them and also choosing them for their MC bags. Back before I knew who my sponsor for the MC was to be, I looked at all four company's clubs and was really impressed with these and had I been a Cleveland staffer, these were going to be in my bag without a doubt!

BIG difference compared to the DPCs, thats for sure!

I agree with ya Rhino, I too am glad to see a few game these in the MC.

I notice that most that are using the altitude irons are not using the DW or SW. What is your reason for not using the DW and SW which are part of the set?

The set that I got only came through the PW but I did order the DW as part of my set for the Morgan Cup. As far as SW goes, I don't typically use that for full swings and I like something really versatile around the greens so I will be getting the 588 RTX MB for the 54/58 slots.

Another fun round with these in the bag yesterday and a first......finally won a MGA event at my course in a 2 man team 6-6-6 event. These babies shined for me with the highlight being a chopped off PW from 111 to 2 feet for the easy birdie. With previous sets I have had more difficulty taking something off of a shot but I find myself doing it with these all the time. As a matter of fact, it is my preferred shot now. For example, if I hit the 9i perfect I can hit it 140 and the 8i is my 150 club. Well, now at 140 I am just grabbing the 8i and taking that nice tempo'ed shortened swing and seeing much more consistent results. 5i or 8i it doesn't matter - with the exception of ball position my swing or mindset does not change when over the ball.

Yes....I am absolutely in love with these things. Have truly made the game more fun for me as I am just hitting the ball more consistently better.

Im a Cleveland 'homer' through and through and would love to give the 3/4/5 of these a whirl but it seems the frozen north is low on there priority list...I cant find anywhere that carries them nor do they have a demo day scheduled anywhere as of yet in Minnesota(according to their website).

Im a Cleveland 'homer' through and through and would love to give the 3/4/5 of these a whirl but it seems the frozen north is low on there priority list...I cant find anywhere that carries them nor do they have a demo day scheduled anywhere as of yet in Minnesota(according to their website).

Not sure if you are planning on making an Invitational, but the IL one might not be too far away and I will have my set with me of course.

Another round with these and another round in the 70s. Today was at Legacy and it was a 73. The star of the day was my irons. These irons. I realized today what these irons do for my scoring that I am not sure any other iron has ever done for me before. Gives me the ability to play smarter than I have ever done.

Because I hit the long irons so well, and can stick greens with any iron down to the 4 iron with little issue, I find myself playing off to different spots. Two holes today I would normally blast off with a driver, but instead took hybrid on one and 5 iron off the other, because coming into the green I had a 5 iron on one and a 6 on the other and both worked well and both ended in pars.

One more thing to comment on is the amount of spin on the ball I am seeing to hold greens. Backing up 5 and 6 irons 5-10 feet is something I normally did not do in the past, but seems like the norm from here on out.

Altitudes, you are working like nothing I have ever used in the past.

I hope to get a round in during the outing with some of these in the bag. Would love to see the consistency and lower scores that you are seeing. Congrats on another great round JB.

I haven't even hit my MT 3i/4i yet and I want to hit an Altitude 3i/4i.

I wish I'd hit them in Dallas, alas I was oggling over other stuff.

JB is being modest. He put on a clinic today with irons.

One shot that made me puck my jaw up off the floor was on 18. He has a great round going and he is about 170 in to the pin. He hits a towering 6i and gets a hop and stop, and back up. It was a phenomenal shot, but then again, it's what I expect when he has those irons in his hands now.

THank you for the kind words War. These irons just seem to fit me better than most and because of that have made me confident hitting any shot with in my ability on the course.

Another round with these and another round in the 70s. Today was at Legacy and it was a 73. The star of the day was my irons. These irons. I realized today what these irons do for my scoring that I am not sure any other iron has ever done for me before. Gives me the ability to play smarter than I have ever done.

Because I hit the long irons so well, and can stick greens with any iron down to the 4 iron with little issue, I find myself playing off to different spots. Two holes today I would normally blast off with a driver, but instead took hybrid on one and 5 iron off the other, because coming into the green I had a 5 iron on one and a 6 on the other and both worked well and both ended in pars.

One more thing to comment on is the amount of spin on the ball I am seeing to hold greens. Backing up 5 and 6 irons 5-10 feet is something I normally did not do in the past, but seems like the norm from here on out.

Having golfed with you before and with the irons, the transformation in your iron game has been awesome to see. I CANNOT wait for more people to give these a try and see how many eyes they open

Awesome that these are game-changing for you JB! You must be oozing confidence with an iron in your hand right now based on the shots you just described.

JB and I talked about this on the course today, and I find it interesting...

Shorter Par 4, water down the left and sand and OB all down the right. Peninsula green with water all around it. Smart play is something no longer than 215 off the tee, and leave yourself a wedge to the green...

I took hybrid, split the fairway and had a PW in to the green.

JB took 5i off the tee, split the fairway and had a 7i in to the green.

Comparing our shots and discussing what we had left, JB made the comment about it didnt seem to matter whether it was a PW, 7i or a longer iron in, he was fine with the shot. That is quite telling about what this set has done to transform the iron play. Being 100% confident with every iron in your bag, regardless of the distance, is key.

JB and I talked about this on the course today, and I find it interesting...

Shorter Par 4, water down the left and sand and OB all down the right. Peninsula green with water all around it. Smart play is something no longer than 215 off the tee, and leave yourself a wedge to the green...

I took hybrid, split the fairway and had a PW in to the green.

JB took 5i off the tee, split the fairway and had a 7i in to the green.

Comparing our shots and discussing what we had left, JB made the comment about it didnt seem to matter whether it was a PW, 7i or a longer iron in, he was fine with the shot. That is quite telling about what this set has done to transform the iron play. Being 100% confident with every iron in your bag, regardless of the distance, is key.

I can only imagine how good my scores would be if I felt that way about my irons.

SeeMoreGuy -- I see ya lurking in here dude :D. It won't be long now and you will be posting in the WITB thread :golf:.

JB -- Congrats on the awesome iron play. Sounds like you have all the confidence one needs to get er done. Well played :clapp:

SeeMoreGuy -- I see ya lurking in here dude :D. It won't be long now and you will be posting in the WITB thread :golf:.

JB -- Congrats on the awesome iron play. Sounds like you have all the confidence one needs to get er done. Well played :clapp:

OG, you wouldn't be lurking a little yourself now would you?
These have me intrigued a bit to!

Glad to hear you had another solid round with the Altitudes!
How much longer (distance) is the classic 3-hybrid than the Altitude 3-iron for you?

5-10 yards. Completely different club though.

5-10 yards. Completely different club though.

Yea, I figured it was. Do you not like the large sole on the 3 and 4 altitudes?
5-iron has a large sole also looks like.

Does not bother me at all. Just strictly a yardage thing for me. I play the 4 iron.

Does not bother me at all. Just strictly a yardage thing for me.

Will you have your Altitudes at all the THP events for anyone to hit?
I believe you have the Miyazaki shafts in them and that is what I would like to try.
I realize these are your personal clubs and may not want to let others try them (chance for dings and marks all over the clubs)
Didn't realize you played the 4-iron good deal, looks like you wil have to make a decision on what club to take out of the bag with the 4-iron in.

Will you have your Altitudes at all the THP events for anyone to hit?
I believe you have the Miyazaki shafts in them and that is what I would like to try.

Barring something changing, they will be at each event in my bag. Not sure which Invitational you are coming to (or the outing next month), but my bag is usually with me at every one.

OG, you wouldn't be lurking a little yourself now would you?
These have me intrigued a bit to!

lmao! Well, I got to keep up with the latest equipment and see how it's performing right? :confused2:. To be honest I would not hesitate one bit bagging these irons. I saw first hand what they are capable of, when several THP'ers came to my home course recently. The reason I'm teasing SeeMoreGuy, is the look on his face shot after shot with these puppies. He was grinning like a kid, who just won an hour of free shopping at Toys R Us :D. Heck all of us hit the Altitude irons very well that day, except maybe T0AD. He was standing on one left trying to hit em :alien:. Very solid feeling irons for sure!

Back