Cleveland 588 TT Irons Preview Thread

Somebody's typing in a hurry!

For you guys that have hit these extensively. What makes them different from the CG16's of a couple years back?

To be honest, they are completely different irons. As soon as you hit them side by side, you feel and hear the differences. Different sound, different feel, even a different ball flight. They are also a slightly different shape. I would venture to say if they both did not say Cleveland, they would not really be compared if you know what I mean.

Playing I'm a charity scramble event today with the 7-PW TT in the bag sure up my MC decision. I was hot today in the course, and with the irons in hand I felt like I could call my number and knock down a shot. Confidence was huge with these again, and playing in a scramble allowed me to swing freely and get some confidence in my game.

No doubt these are in the bag for July.

To be honest, they are completely different irons. As soon as you hit them side by side, you feel and hear the differences. Different sound, different feel, even a different ball flight. They are also a slightly different shape. I would venture to say if they both did not say Cleveland, they would not really be compared if you know what I mean.

Okay. So would you say they have a stronger, more penetrating type flight than the CG16? Do they feel a bit more cushioned than the 16's did? I know those weren't the softest feeling irons.

I hit them once, the TT, and obviously the stock shaft is a nightmare fit for me because I walked away from these with a sour taste in my mouth. I keep on hearing good things though, so I've been pondering. Not really to purchase, but just wonder what it is that they have to offer if I would've hit them with a good shaft pairing. I didn't want to dislike them like I did, so that's why I wonder about them with all of the positive reviews I've been hearing.

Figured I would update this thread with my Morgan Cup Iron order;

Iron Choice: 588 MT 5 & 6 iron. 588 TT 7-PW
Shaft Choice: Stock, Traction 85
Shaft Material & Flex: Steel, Stiff
Length: Standard
Loft: Standard
Lie: Standard
Grip Choice & Special requests (ex. 2 wraps): Golf Pride NDMC Black/White + 1 wrap
Dexterity: Right Hand

Went with a combo set of the long irons of the MT and 7-PW of the TTs. After much back and forth on shaft, I went with what I know, and I know the stock shafts work well for my game.

Figured I would update this thread with my Morgan Cup Iron order;

Iron Choice: 588 MT 5 & 6 iron. 588 TT 7-PW
Shaft Choice: Stock, Traction 85
Shaft Material & Flex: Steel, Stiff
Length: Standard
Loft: Standard
Lie: Standard
Grip Choice & Special requests (ex. 2 wraps): Golf Pride NDMC Black/White + 1 wrap
Dexterity: Right Hand

Went with a combo set of the long irons of the MT and 7-PW of the TTs. After much back and forth on shaft, I went with what I know, and I know the stock shafts work well for my game.

combo=money, you made the right choice!

albatross ftw

Awesome man, pretty cool that we both have had such good success with the stock shaft. While it would have been easy to select something that we have spent more time with if they were available, these shafts just work and were paired for a reason.

combo=money, you made the right choice!

albatross ftw
Thanks dude, I like it!
Awesome man, pretty cool that we both have had such good success with the stock shaft. While it would have been easy to select something that we have spent more time with if they were available, these shafts just work and were paired for a reason.
Well, the Traction 85 stock shaft is quite similar to the Tour 90s I am playing now. A bit different, yes, but lightweight and help get the ball up in the air...which is something I need help with.

Todays round gave me 100% confidence that I made the right decision for my irons in the Morgan Cup.

The TT irons, for me, are just special. My iron play with these is better than it ever has been before, and at times I feel like I can just call my shot, and hit my mark. A distance gain with these is nice, but improved accuracy and a higher ball flight makes them just about perfect for my game.

Today was the 3rd time I have broken 80 with these in the bag in the past month and a half or so, and most of that comes with the fact that I am hitting more greens that I have in the past. Pulling an iron and having it stick the green is huge, but what I find the most intriguing part is that I can pull the 7i TT from 165 out and land the green and back the ball up. My contact with the ball just seems to be spot on, and a well struck shot gives me the results that I need.

Todays round gave me 100% confidence that I made the right decision for my irons in the Morgan Cup.

The TT irons, for me, are just special. My iron play with these is better than it ever has been before, and at times I feel like I can just call my shot, and hit my mark. A distance gain with these is nice, but improved accuracy and a higher ball flight makes them just about perfect for my game.

Today was the 3rd time I have broken 80 with these in the bag in the past month and a half or so, and most of that comes with the fact that I am hitting more greens that I have in the past. Pulling an iron and having it stick the green is huge, but what I find the most intriguing part is that I can pull the 7i TT from 165 out and land the green and back the ball up. My contact with the ball just seems to be spot on, and a well struck shot gives me the results that I need.

Congrats War. It has been been fun to follow your progress since the FG Tour V2 days. Seems like your game has turned the corner. Well done buddy.

Congrats War. It has been been fun to follow your progress since the FG Tour V2 days. Seems like your game has turned the corner. Well done buddy.
Hah! Man, those irons threw me to the wolves! To think about my game from then, to now...wow.

Congrats on the validation captain!

That's awesome that you're backing the ball up a bit. Have you got these things on the LM at all? I'd be curious to know waht kind of spin numbers you're looking at.

That's awesome that you're backing the ball up a bit. Have you got these things on the LM at all? I'd be curious to know waht kind of spin numbers you're looking at.
Not sure how that would go, dude. I am not what one would call a "range pro."

Get me on a LM and I freeze up.

War - I've been following this discussion closely as well as that of the Altitudes. You're fond of the TT's and JB loves his Altitudes. I don't normally post a lot so here goes. Currently I'm gaming the Wilson FG V2's. After following these two threads for a while, after work today I went to EW to hit the Altitude, MT, & TT heads with the stock graphite and steel shafts as they have one of Cleveland's new fitting carts. After trying different combinations of club heads with shafts, I like you felt that the TT's were the best fit for me. The monitor showed that I got the best carry, length, and dispersion from the TT head with a Traction Shaft in S flex. Even the guy at EW commented that he's never seen me hit a club this well before. He said that everyone knows Cleveland's because of their wedges but that these new sets of irons are real dark horses. So what I'm looking at getting is the 4I in Altitude, & 5-PW, DW in TT's 1* weak. I feel that these would fit me the best. Thanks for all the great information. It's been extremely helpful.

Last edited:
bear,
I agree with the sales rep. Not only are they great irons, they may be the best line the company has ever put out. Sounds like the shafts and heads together worked out well for you. Looking forward to hearing more about your journey should you go in this direction.

War - I've been following this discussion closely as well as that of the Altitudes. You're fond of the TT's and JB loves his Altitudes. I don't normally post a lot so here goes. Currently I'm gaming the Wilson FG V2's. After following these two threads for a while, after work today I went to EW to hit the Altitude, MT, & TT heads with the stock graphite and steel shafts as they have one of Cleveland's new fitting carts. After trying different combinations of club heads with shafts, I like you felt that the TT's were the best fit for me. The monitor showed that I got the best carry, length, and dispersion from the TT head with a Traction Shaft in S flex. Even the guy at EW commented that he's never seen me hit a club this well before. He said that everyone knows Cleveland's because of their wedges but that these new sets of irons are real dark horses. So what I'm looking at getting is the 4I in Altitude, & 5-PW, DW in TT's 1* weak. I feel that these would fit me the best. Thanks for all the great information. It's been extremely helpful.
No problem dude, glad you have found my thoughts/review somewhat helpful.

I loved the TTs since the first round I had them in the bag. A solid offering, and an absolute darkhorse in the iron market this year.

I played the FG V2s back in 2011, and my game wasnt quite what it is now, but I believe you will find a comfortable feel with the TTs in making the change, and pick up some added forgiveness.

Hope to hear your thoughts once you get these in hand!

Not sure how that would go, dude. I am not what one would call a "range pro."

Get me on a LM and I freeze up.

haha, there has to be a couple good swings in there somewhere destined for the range!

JB, Thanks! Yeah the more I think about it the more I'm getting ready to order them. Once done I'll you all know. LOL - I'm even looking at their driver now. I have their 3 & 7 Mashies and love them.

I like Atlanta a lot.

But yes, yes I do. Do launch monitors measure spin rates on balls going the other way?
That's why I aim at the Trackman instead of away from it.

Awesome WE, it's always nice to validate the purchase decision and I know cleveland has a winner on their hands with these.

The MT irons just make long iron play easier for me. Had a longer Par 4 today, and not the best ball off the tee, and I was sitting 196 out to the pin on the front of the green.

I pulled 5i, and knew that it had to be perfect to get there. Hit a beauty of a shot, high ball flight too, landed right on the front edge of the green and hopped right on up, leaving me about 15 feet for a birdie try.

Pulling a 5i from 190 out and being confident, not only in my distance but my accuracy is huge for me. Completely changes how I view my long iron game now.

The MT irons just make long iron play easier for me. Had a longer Par 4 today, and not the best ball off the tee, and I was sitting 196 out to the pin on the front of the green.

I pulled 5i, and knew that it had to be perfect to get there. Hit a beauty of a shot, high ball flight too, landed right on the front edge of the green and hopped right on up, leaving me about 15 feet for a birdie try.

Pulling a 5i from 190 out and being confident, not only in my distance but my accuracy is huge for me. Completely changes how I view my long iron game now.

Good to hear they are treating you well. I saw on the last page that you are using the stock shafts. I think I have read somewhere before that you are a lowball hitter? How much higher launching are the stock shafts than what you are used to playing with?

Back