Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Interesting War, never thought about it replacing my 4i but that sort of makes sense. The numbers are real close to one another, ie. loft (24), lie (60.5 vs 59), length, etc. But the bounce on the X Utility is 11 degrees compared to the 4i of 4. Interesting....

Don't want to get off topic but appreciate the feedback. Maybe doing that would open up the door for a 19 or 22 degree hybrid. Appreciate it!

Interesting War, never thought about it replacing my 4i but that sort of makes sense. The numbers are real close to one another, ie. loft (24), lie (60.5 vs 59), length, etc. But the bounce on the X Utility is 11 degrees compared to the 4i of 4. Interesting....

Don't want to get off topic but appreciate the feedback. Maybe doing that would open up the door for a 19 or 22 degree hybrid. Appreciate it!
No problem buddy.

You know, when I was hitting the X Utility, the last thing I was thinking of was the Xhot Hybrid. Didnt even really compare them while I was on the range.

However, I can throw some thoughts out there...

While the X Utility is a Hybrid type club, it is definitely a long iron, no doubts about that. I would say for those that prefer to game a long iron in place of a hybrid, that the X Utility would be the way to go. If I were to game a 4i, I could see a transition from a 3h, to a 4 X Utility, to a 5iron. And use the X Utility in place of that 4i. IMO, it is easier to hit than a smaller long iron, but still not as forgiving as a true hybrid. Make sense?

Now that I think of it, that could be a sweet setup... 3hybrid, 4 X Utility, 5-PW. Hmm.

But, back to the differences; The XHot hybrid is incredibly easy to hit and get up in the air. Turf interaction is so smooth, and effortless at times. The X Utility is what it is, a long iron on steroids. It's a bit longer than the 4i that was in the bag on Monday, and the PXi shaft in the X Utility really helped me get the ball up in the air.

I dont see it as a replacement for a hybrid, but could see it as a nice compliment to a strong lofted hybrid in the right setup.

This would be my expectation and very well worded, perhaps a nice compliment but not a replacement...

Can any of you compare the hybrid to the X Utility Prototype? War, I know you had a few cracks with the Prototype and didn't know if anyone else in here had done the same. I know it might be hard cause it's not apples to apples due to the different type of club but any thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated. I have my own preconceived ideas on what the differences "might" be but you all would probably know better. Thanks and keep up the feedback on these clubs! We are watching!

Sorry mate, no experience with the X Utility; however, I do (from time to time) pull out my old Mizuno Fli Hi 2-iron, which is a long iron replacement, just for grins and giggles. The hybrid obviously launches higher and carries greater trajectory with more ease but there are certain scenarios when lower and more penetrating flight is a good thing. Particularly in the summertime when fairways are hard and you need to get something screaming & rolling very quickly. I think it mainly depends on your preference, some like to peel 3-irons off the turf and most prefer the help of a true hybrid. Look in the PGA tour guys bags, they're all carrying them except for a choice few. The hybrid is just easier to launch is what it all boils down to...

I'm liking these reports. I'm quite certain an XHot hybrid will be part of my of my bag.

I'm liking these reports. I'm quite certain an XHot hybrid will be part of my of my bag.

Like with anything, put it through its paces but I cant imagine it not working for everyone the way it is intended. Is it the longest hybrid? Probably not. Like anything, there are flaws, but the good FAR outweighs the bad. I am still on the sidelines with my ankle but I will be bringing it with me to the NJ Invitational so at least there are 3-4 other LH THPers' that will give it a try as well.

It will be in mine too... I'm personally hoping for a win at the wheel during demo day weekend :p

Dan

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Write-up coming tomorrow evening!

Edit: this will be in my bag at AC for anyone that wants to hit it!!

Having the #1 in the bag could almost take the place of some 3Ws. It's that long and accurate. I'm digging the distinct mid ball I get with either a soft draw or fade. Callaway had put out clubs that not only fill gaps but also allow you customize the bag. The top end of my bag will have some serious options this coming season

Having the #1 in the bag could almost take the place of some 3Ws. It's that long and accurate. I'm digging the distinct mid ball I get with either a soft draw or fade. Callaway had put out clubs that not only fill gaps but also allow you customize the bag. The top end of my bag will have some serious options this coming season
I should have hit yours last week to see how they compare. Darn.

Waiting before we tee off our next round, but at the range I think I sold this club to 2 people!

I should have hit yours last week to see how they compare. Darn.

It will be in the bag at the outing so you can hit it then and I'm sure we will play a few times before the MC

I'll be busy the rest of today and tomorrow I'm heading back to Pittsburgh, so I'll probably have my thoughts on the last 36 holes posted by Sunday evening!

Just bought one! Walking 18 tomorrow and hope to contribute something here

I can't wait to add another to the bag

What are you going with, Freddy?

I'm loving these reviews guys. I have only hit one shot with this club, but it was a beauty. I am liking Wars idea of 3 xhot, 4 utility, 5 iron.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

What are you going with, Freddy?

18* Xhot pro since I'll have a 4i in the bag. I hit beagles two weeks a go (19* Xhot) and found it to my liking. The 16* I have is a filler, another long option off the deck.

After a week of pretty poor results in practice I decided to put the X-Hot back in the bag over the 4 iron I'd been playing. I did so because I knew it was almost a guaranteed high/straight ball. Proved myself right too. It's going to officially become the bailout club when I am lacking confidence. Stupid easy to hit, very high ball flight, very forgiving.

I played 18 holes the on Friday and only used the club twice. I don't know what's wrong, but I've been very off with my hybrid and fairway lately. I'm going to hit the range today and pray that I get my kinks out. I need to avoid thin shots.

Went to a small demo day with only Cleveland and Callaway wanting to check the fell of the RTX wedges and to try out the 3 hybrids. Thanks to this thread the X Hot was at the top of my list. First, I tried the new Clevland hybrid and it was very nice. Good mid-flight ball flight for me and great turf interaction. Then, I tried the X Hot, and wow, what an easy club to hit! You guys reviewing this have been right on the mark. Even through the X Hot has a degree and a half more loft than the Cleveland, it flew higher (and looked like longer) than the new M3 with a nice little right to left flight. Also, I loved the look at address ( the slight offset didn't bother me) better than the Cleveland and my current RBZ.
Thanks again for your great feedback, and here's a picture.
1de4bd4f-792c-4be3-aa8a-5b93a8e936fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So, the more I game this club, the more I think about it.

It really is interesting for me. It's not a "bomber" of a hybrid like others I have played in the past, but the reliability of the club is what has me loving it. Easy shot off the tee when a fairway shot is a must on shorter par 4s, a layup club for the longer Par 5s, and a perfect club to grab for the longer Par 3s as well.

Ball flight, simply put, is perfect for me. The ball gets up in a hurry and just carries out there where I want it to go. Whether it's off the deck or off the tee, it's a nice higher ball flight that takes little effort to get.

I find myself setting up with this one just as I would a long iron, and just an easy pass at the ball leads to positive results. When I play it out off the front foot, the results are typically a miss right, as I feel I am coming across and hitting off the toe, for sure. Set it up in the middle of my stance and just get after it.

Really love hitting this club.

So, the more I game this club, the more I think about it.

It really is interesting for me. It's not a "bomber" of a hybrid like others I have played in the past, but the reliability of the club is what has me loving it. Easy shot off the tee when a fairway shot is a must on shorter par 4s, a layup club for the longer Par 5s, and a perfect club to grab for the longer Par 3s as well.

Ball flight, simply put, is perfect for me. The ball gets up in a hurry and just carries out there where I want it to go. Whether it's off the deck or off the tee, it's a nice higher ball flight that takes little effort to get.

I find myself setting up with this one just as I would a long iron, and just an easy pass at the ball leads to positive results. When I play it out off the front foot, the results are typically a miss right, as I feel I am coming across and hitting off the toe, for sure. Set it up in the middle of my stance and just get after it.

Really love hitting this club.

Exactly how I feel. For me, the perfect 4hybrid type club. It's a good extension of the iron set.

Exactly how I feel. For me, the perfect 4hybrid type club. It's a good extension of the iron set.
It flows well with my iron setup right now, actually. going from 5i to 3h is interesting for me, but the distances are covered, so I am not worried.

Back