Cleveland 588 RTX Wedge Preview Thread

I think I am ready to buy (54 & 58) but I am waiting for an outdoor demo day.

I went to an outdoor demo day last weekend and the RTX muscle back wedges were great. I agree with JB's comments just above in this page, I opened up the 60 and hit a little touch lob shot off a tight lie and I've never seen such spin. I was hitting range balls and it was spinning so fast the range stripe flew off and was caught by a bird in midair. (Ok, maybe an exaggeration).

So I purchased the 54 and 58 degree wedges and am looking forward to receiving them next week. I was tempted to get the 60, but figured I could get more use out of the 58.

I went to an outdoor demo day last weekend and the RTX muscle back wedges were great. I agree with JB's comments just above in this page, I opened up the 60 and hit a little touch lob shot off a tight lie and I've never seen such spin. I was hitting range balls and it was spinning so fast the range stripe flew off and was caught by a bird in midair. (Ok, maybe an exaggeration).

So I purchased the 54 and 58 degree wedges and am looking forward to receiving them next week. I was tempted to get the 60, but figured I could get more use out of the 58.

Just wondering what bounce you purchased. Thanks

Im convinced that the weighting, grind and leading edge of these wedges produce better ball first contact for my swing than just about any wedge I have played before. Between the amount of spin and the versatility I am quickly falling in love with them again.

We played a course today with a ton of different lies and craziness around the greens and the wedges flat out performed. Before the round Tadashi was using my 58* on the practice green and was sucking them back like a yo-yo.

Well dang, getting me excited to get the 54/58 in the bag.

Refresh my memory: stock wedge shaft? No spinner, right?

No spinner for me. You have nothing to worry about in creating spin.

No spinner for me. You have nothing to worry about in creating spin.

That's what I thought. Stock shaft, just confirming. Anxious for fresh grooves....that spin like mad.

I'm a Callaway guy but I'll be picking up a pair of these. There are heater wedges. They put a thin layer of glue on the ball when you it. My gawk they spin like the dickens, better then my tried and true J40s. That has yet to be done, now it has.

Took these out today, not much to report as it was 42* and super windy. I did put the 60* up against my 588 58* and my old 588's won round one. Just hit them better and more consistent greenside. Still plenty of more testing to be done.

Pondering the setup of a 50/54/58 in these guys. Thinking the 58 will be more versatile for me over my current 60.

I would like to give the CBs a try they look slick and forgiving.

I hit these again tonight at Dick's and I must say I really really like them.

Just wondering what bounce you purchased. Thanks

I purchased the medium (2 dot) bounce in both. I was contemplating the one dot in the 58, but I was hitting the medium bounce well and it snugged up to the ball just fine on the lob shots. I was able to flight the ball higher or lower, and adjust distance well too, just by leading with my hands through the swing to a greater or lesser degree. They felt comfortable right from the start.

I would like to give the CBs a try they look slick and forgiving.

I'm a high handicap player and (truthfully) am not all that consistent a ball striker. I demo'd both the CB and MB RTX wedges and I really preferred the non-CB version. This was with the 50, 56, 58 and 60 degree wedges at an outside grass range during a demo day. All I'm suggesting is to hit both and don't just automatically think you'll hit the CB better and prefer it over the muscle back.

Beginning to think that these wedges are special for my "unique" swing. I am making clean, ball first contact and spinning the ball around the green so much I can throw it at flag sticks and give me a good chance at up and downs when needed and birdies when I get the chance.

I'm a Callaway guy but I'll be picking up a pair of these. There are heater wedges. They put a thin layer of glue on the ball when you it. My gawk they spin like the dickens, better then my tried and true J40s. That has yet to be done, now it has.

Beginning to think that these wedges are special for my "unique" swing. I am making clean, ball first contact and spinning the ball around the green so much I can throw it at flag sticks and give me a good chance at up and downs when needed and birdies when I get the chance.

These are some solid endorcements.

Never thought I would hear about something beating the J40's for you Freddie.

I was pleasantly surprised by the CB version I tested this past Saturday. I had much different results hitting off actual grass this time and like the feel on full shots. The RTX blades were nice as I expected, but was pleasantly surprised by the CB. It has me confused on which direction to go for my next wedge set.

These (and the CBs) def. spin more than my SCORs on full shots. I didnt have enough time with them around the greens to compare the two though.

I was pleasantly surprised by the CB version I tested this past Saturday. I had much different results hitting off actual grass this time and like the feel on full shots. The RTX blades were nice as I expected, but was pleasantly surprised by the CB. It has me confused on which direction to go for my next wedge set.

These (and the CBs) def. spin more than my SCORs on full shots. I didnt have enough time with them around the greens to compare the two though.
You thinking your lower wedge with a CB then the higher wedges a MB?

You thinking your lower wedge with a CB then the higher wedges a MB?

I want to get some extended work in with the 50 CB around the greens. The 50* is my go to club around the greens for the ole chunk and run. As of now, I would go only 54 in CB (my 100ish yard club).

Not going to lie. Loving these. Have put 3-4 rounds in with them thus far and they are easily becoming by favorite clubs in the bag.

Have always loved the shape of Cleveland wedges, which gives me confidence stepping up to the ball. I know that if I make the contact I want, the club is going to provide the result issued by the swing. The sound or "feel" as some referes to it, is a little louder than some, but far from harsh sounding. It's more of louder feedback. Off hits, such as the toe, are slightly louder, little more "click" to the sound. Which is great, allows me know a miss.

At first I was a little unsure of the smaller MB style in a 50*, but I'm really enjoying it. Have not really encountered a problem of missing the center of the club face. There has been the odd time, but they're noticeable, nothing a bigger face would help.

As far as spin. I came from wedges with little to no grooves left, so think I would have noticed spin on anything new. Though there have been the odd time where there's pieces of the ball on the grooves and personally I'll take the added spin if it means having to use a ball a few less holes that what would have been with my old wedges.

Really like what I am hearing here as it relates to spin, know that I am due for some fresh grooves.

Dan - interesting stuff about the potential 54* in CB. I know you said you use the 50* around the greens but what about the 54*? With the 56*, greenside is where I struggled a bit with the CB but I loved it on full shots out there at 85/90y.

Really like what I am hearing here as it relates to spin, know that I am due for some fresh grooves.

Dan - interesting stuff about the potential 54* in CB. I know you said you use the 50* around the greens but what about the 54*? With the 56*, greenside is where I struggled a bit with the CB but I loved it on full shots out there at 85/90y.

Only time I use my middle wedge (55 in my SCOR) around the greens is longer greenside bunker shots. I could probably use some added forgiveness in these shots too, so the CB would help that too. I use my higher lofted wedge (60 now) for the other shots around the green where I can get under it easily and dont need the chunk and run.

Never thought I would hear about something beating the J40's for you Freddie.

I never thought I would either. But these wedges scream precision. JB was clipping these off a very tight lie on the chipping green and the spin produced was sick. I took a few cuts and was instantly sold. A set of of these in the bottom half of the bag will save a great deal of shots.

Only time I use my middle wedge (55 in my SCOR) around the greens is longer greenside bunker shots. I could probably use some added forgiveness in these shots too, so the CB would help that too. I use my higher lofted wedge (60 now) for the other shots around the green where I can get under it easily and dont need the chunk and run.

Precisely why I'm soon going 50(49)/54 as a CB and 58 MB.

Fresh grooves! I need some! My 3 year old Nikes are virtually smooth on the face now, lmao.

Back