This is a hard question to answer.

I guess I'd say I'm average. It's not a shot that I fear or that stresses me out. In fact, I'll pull driver on the majority of holes out there without any hesitation. That being said, I'm not exactly good at it lol.

2-4 misses is reasonable, depending on conditions. Right now, missing the fairway is almost a stroke penalty in itself because we've had some much rain that the rough borders on unplayable. In that case, I had a good 7-8 shots that hurt me last weekend, though only a few were truly big misses.

1. I don't consider myself a good driver - inconsistent is the word. A good drive for me is one that leaves me a full, unobstructed, swing toward the green.
2. Some rounds, when my timing is good, I hit fairways with "my eyes closed," other rounds I find myself chipping out from the woods 4-5 times per round.

1. Yes, I consider my drive to be the better part of my game.

2. Yes, I think those numbers are pretty accurate. I've been working on strategies to hit the best shots on those few tee boxes that don't set up well for me. I struggle when trouble is on the left.

1. Do you think you are a good (forget about distance in this case) driver of the ball?

I honestly think this is one of the stronger parts of my game. I don't hit a ton of fairways - but really don't get myself into too much trouble off the tees.

2. Do those numbers (in the 1st paragraph) hold true for you?

I think the numbers for me are more like 1-2. There def is a penalty out there for me somewhere - but most of the time I can limit it to a max of 2 bad mistakes. But a lot of times since I can move the ball out there a little bit - I am only hitting driver 7-10 times off the 14 par 4/5 tees.

1. I go through stretches where I am a good driver of the golf ball. I'm not long off the tee by any means, but I normally keep the ball in front of me and don't have issues with losing a ball off the tee.

2. When my game is not right or I am struggling I see what you are talking about in the first paragraph. A lot of that happens when I get quick or take the club back too inside. At that point my drives become even shorter and more crooked, resulting in lost balls and penalty strokes.

This is hard to answer for me because its so relative to how i play that day and just what is "an average bogey golfer"?. My driver is usually one the better parts my game but not being an average bogey golfer i cant say I am a good driver of the ball.

When i hit it well for a specific round I may use it 10 times and may have 3 real bad ones and i'd say that day i'm a good driver of the ball. But like the rest of my inconsistant play it can fall apart the next day too. There are also days when i drive very well even though nothing else works and again I am a good river of the ball that day but then there are days other things work and i cant drive anything.

to me, asking me if I'm a good driver of the ball is almost like asking if I'm an "average bogey golfer". And I'm just not. If I was capable of staying a consistant level of upper 80's to 90ish only then would i say i am a good driver of the ball because i know if i played at that level all the time it would be my driver that would be the more consistant club.

Perspective is a funny thing. The only time that we've played was September last year, when you were really striping your driver. Based on that round, I presume that you're consistently an excellent driver (and even better iron player).

Checks in the mail!

I think jB is one of the best drivers of the ball I've seen. The ball flight is the sane as it was the first day we played. He is his own worst critic as we all are.

You sir, as well as Nate and Buck, are the longest players I've had the pleasure of teeing it up with abs pretty darn accurate. Not fairway finders but also not trouble finders either with all tha distance is sick

1. No.
2. Yes.

I feel like I am a bit streaky with my driver. Some days I can't miss fairways, other days it seems like the rough has magnets. I'd say that I am a decent driver of the ball overall in terms of accuracy. Since this is not calling into play actually hitting fairways but hitting shots way off the mark, I'd have to say that 2-4 drives per round is about the right range.

1. Do you think you are a good (forget about distance in this case) driver of the ball?

I would have to honestly say that I am below average driving the ball. I have improved over the course of the years that I have played, I have become way more consistent and as a result I am hitting more fairways of the tee and putting myself in much better positions on the course. I have to remind myself what I need to do on each shot and if I get ahead of myself or just plain forget something that can lead to misses.

Those numbers are too low for me I would honestly have to say I am in the 5-7 range off the tee and I include par 3s in this number as well.

I know the initial question said to forget distance but I thought I would mention a little about it in regard to my game. I can hit fairways and do it consistently enough but often when I am doing this I have a long iron, hybrid or FW into greens this makes hitting greens so much more difficult for me. So then I try and swing harder off the tee and leads me to big trouble, I am working on hitting those fairways and then playing holes intelligently and setting up a easier 3rd shot for an up and down.

- My problem is that I hit the driver way too low. I have it set at 11*, but I must not be releasing the club or something, because the launch angle is extremely low. Going to try some things out today to try and hit up on the ball, and who knows what new problems that will bring with it.

- I'd say over the last 4 rounds, I have 1 bad drive per round that costs me. The ball may fly too low, but it is usually in the fairway at least. Now last year would be a different story, and those numbers of 2-4 bad (penalizing) misses fit me just perfect then.

~Rock

I think I am above average driver of the golf ball (since plugging the B. Asha in, I've hit about 75% of the FWs). I would say that number where you get into serious trouble is 1-2 per round for me if I'm playing halfway decently. I do have some stinkers though.

1. No. I'd say I'm streaky at best. I'm working on it, but it's definitely not where I want it to be. I definitely lose strokes to tee shots on a regular basis. Sometimes more than others, but usually at least 1 a round. I've been trying to be more judicious off the tee and clubbing down where necessary. I've had limited success so far. I think it's all mental though.

2. Probably. Lately I've been on the high end with 3-4 penalties a round off the tee, but I'd say normally I'm in the 1-2 range. It all probably averages out though.

I think I am above average driver of the golf ball (since plugging the B. Asha in, I've hit about 75% of the FWs). I would say that number where you get into serious trouble is 1-2 per round for me if I'm playing halfway decently. I do have some stinkers though.

Holy Buckets! 75% FIR is amazing dude. Leader on tour is at 72%. If I hit more than half I'm really happy. That's good work right there.

Holy Buckets! 75% FIR is amazing dude. Leader on tour is at 72%. If I hit more than half I'm really happy. That's good work right there.

Thanks buddy. I don't hit it very far, but most days I'll hit it really straight. Though it's been getting worse and worse recently.

Well I am a little worse than a bogey golfer, and I would say I have more like 6-9 mistakes off the tee that lead me into deep doo-doo. Now I rarely pull my Driver because of this (maybe 2 times per round), but I still manage to position myself poorly with my other clubs as well. I am working on it because it is at least partially due to a swing flaw I am aware of. But to answer your first question, I do not believe I am good off the tee, it is the area of least confidence for me.

Thanks buddy. I don't hit it very far, but most days I'll hit it really straight. Though it's been getting worse and worse recently.

Just keep it in the short grass buddy. If I was that predictable, I would be a lot more pleasant on the tee box.

I am a streaky driver. I will go through phases when I never take the driver out of the bag.

Even when I do hit the driver well, there always seems to be 1-2 drives per round that end up costing me a couple of shots.

I would say I am a fairly good, but not great, driver of the ball. My FW% since I started keeping track about 10 or so rounds ago is 56.2%, and most of the time when I miss, it's like you said, it just rolls off the fairway or catches a bunker.

However, that being said, I definitely have my good and bad rounds. On my good driving rounds (60% accuracy or so), I have 1 or 2 drives that put me in a penalizing spot; on the bad ones (less than 40% fairway accuracy), 2-4 that really hurt me sounds about right, with my worst driving rounds sometimes ending up worse than this even.

1. Yes I think I'm a good driver of the golf ball. Not always in the fairway but usually pretty close and I don't typically find too much trouble off the tee.

2. That seems pretty accurate. I would say 2 times a round I'll really screw up, not always off the tee but sometimes it's a chip or a putt that I just shank. Or as you saw first hand, I'll hosel rocket one right at someone's head out of the clear blue sky once in a while. That hasn't happened too much since I nearly killed you though.

I think I am a decent driver of the golf ball (accuracy wise) and moving in the right direction to be classified as "good"

The numbers of 2-4 absolutely hold true, but its getting better as it's now 2-3 instead of 4-5.

I am not a good driver of the golf ball. I only average about 30% FIR per round. I don't usually miss by much, but a miss is a miss. My problem is that I have a 2 way miss, so I'm usually focused on aiming at the center of the fairway which narrows my margin for error if the shot shape is more drastic than usual.

I find those numbers to be very true. I don't hit a lot of balls OB, but I usually find myself in trees or without a shot at the green.

Boy I wish I was better off the tee box with my driver. This is probably where I lose most of my strokes. I'm ~ 50% FIR but that's a bit skewed with hitting 3W and hybrids, which results in the short grass. By no means am I a bad driver where I'll be the next hole over. My misses aren't terrible but it's more or less consistency, which is the name of the game.

1. I'd say I'm about average when it comes to my driver. I'll have my days when I can't miss a fairway, and then those when I can't find one. My misses generally aren't too far off line.

2. I would also agree that anywhere between 1-3 drives per round are pretty far off line for me. Lately I've been battling coming up out of my shot which has resulted in either a high right shot or in some rarer cases a dead cold top.

1) Since getting the Amp Cell and working my my swing a bit, driving is now a strength of my game
2) I would say that my bad driving mistakes (not including par 3s) are in the 2-3 per round, probably closer to 2.

Back