Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

I'm really enjoying the 3/4 still, I will say this though, they are LONG, meaning club length. I re shafted the 3 with a DG Pro and the 4 with a Recoil this weekend and actually shortened each of them, should make them more comfortable for me out there.

I'm really enjoying the 3/4 still, I will say this though, they are LONG, meaning club length. I re shafted the 3 with a DG Pro and the 4 with a Recoil this weekend and actually shortened each of them, should make them more comfortable for me out there.

That was my takeaway from my fitting too, I ordered my set 1/2" shorter across the board.

That was my takeaway from my fitting too, I ordered my set 1/2" shorter across the board.

It blew me away when I went to reshaft, I really didn't realize it until then. I believe I ended up going again under. 3/4 shorter in them now. I was hitting them fine, I just think it was costing me some consistency. Eager to get out and see what this change does.

It blew me away when I went to reshaft, I really didn't realize it until then. I believe I ended up going again under. 3/4 shorter in them now. I was hitting them fine, I just think it was costing me some consistency. Eager to get out and see what this change does.

Yes, it was literally, the FIRST thing I noticed when I demoed them back on release. I brought my current R11 7 iron to my fitting and held them side by side and it was striking how much longer the whole Cleveland line this year was compared to the length of the R11s. Granted, I'm short in height for an internet golfer (5'9"), so it may not affect all that many on here.

I felt like I was 12 again where I was holding my Dad's iron up against my cut down kids iron.

Morgan Cup delivery tonight! My 6/5 MT and 7-PW TT irons showed up.

Even though I have had these in the bag for a while now, knowing that these are the irons that I will be gaming in the MC this July makes them just that more special to me!

449B0FE1-orig_zpsa792a8ea.jpg

D46F8C14-orig_zps4ad799ef.jpg

Nice WE! So are you gaming them at the outing???? It would be incredible if my irons came before Thursday so I could bring them with me.

Edit - doh....forgot you were already gaming these full time.

Nice WE! So are you gaming them at the outing???? It would be incredible if my irons came before Thursday so I could bring them with me.
Absolutely I am gaming them at the Outing.

Good looking weapons! I hope the delivery man shows up here this week too!

Morgan Cup delivery tonight! My 6/5 MT and 7-PW TT irons showed up.

Even though I have had these in the bag for a while now, knowing that these are the irons that I will be gaming in the MC this July makes them just that more special to me!

449B0FE1-orig_zpsa792a8ea.jpg

D46F8C14-orig_zps4ad799ef.jpg

My Morgan Cup Bag Contains 3 MT Irons.
In a true combo set I have all 3 types of 588 Irons.
The MT's are my 6 -8 iron.

I can't wait to get these on the course and will update my thoughts here as we go along.

588%20Irons-14-L.jpg

588%20Irons-15-M.jpg

588%20Irons-17-L.jpg

588%20Irons-19-L.jpg

588%20Irons-21-L.jpg

588%20Irons-30-L.jpg

Those are some good pics Derek, looking forward to getting mine in hand. No word from FedEx yet, but I asked for some altered lengths and lofts so expect them to take longer.

FedEx says my irons are on their way and should be here next Tuesday. Looking fwd to giving them a full review and seeing if the MT long irons can increase my GIR and help lower my scores.

What's your feeling about your long irons today? Anything specific that you'd like to see out of the MT's that you don't see in the R11's?

What's your feeling about your long irons today? Anything specific that you'd like to see out of the MT's that you don't see in the R11's?

Consistent misses. Right now I cant get a good hold on what to guard against as the misses vary form hole to hole. I have good height on them, just need to be more comfortable with ruling out a certain side of the course. My miss impact position is on the toe and sometimes they are just mild pushes to the right or sometimes they are big ole high hooks.

I am sure its swing related, but maybe the boost in confidence looking down on something I trust is all I need. If I want to get my game where I think it can be, I NEED to hit more GIRs. Only hitting 3-4 a round sucks.

That makes sense to me. From feedback in here and just the design in general I think you'll be giving yourself the best opportunity you can to succeed. Moving to a larger iron like that really increased my confidence in the long irons by a long shot compared to last year. I hear you on the GIR's. I can scramble an ok score some days when I can't hit greens, but if my putting and wedges aren't really good I'm going to be starting the 90's in the face.

That makes sense to me. From feedback in here and just the design in general I think you'll be giving yourself the best opportunity you can to succeed. Moving to a larger iron like that really increased my confidence in the long irons by a long shot compared to last year. I hear you on the GIR's. I can scramble an ok score some days when I can't hit greens, but if my putting and wedges aren't really good I'm going to be starting the 90's in the face.

Yes, I just know I give too many strokes away on those bad misses that are killing me. I worked hard on my short game last year and really saw how it translated to lower scores, now its time to focus on the ball striking. I know my tempo is where I need to start, but my confidence over irons is crap too.

I dream of the day that my irons catch up to my wedges on a regular basis.

First experiences with the MT 3 iron have been really good. I've never gamed an iron longer then 4, so this is a new experience for me. The launch is much lower then my 21* hybrid, but the dispersion is so much closer. I'm not seeing the crazy misses I see with the hybrid. I don't mind that it's lower ball flight because I think I'm getting more backspin anyway.

It's a little more difficult then I first thought, and it's very easy to mishit. However, I know it's a learning curve thing, so I'll get used to it.

Looking at the Cleveland website there seem to be no difference in the MT and TT except maybe head size. Would someone verify this, when looking at the specs on these irons offset is exactly the same, shaft length is the same, top line and sole I can't really tell from the photos online. Just curious.

Looking at the Cleveland website there seem to be no difference in the MT and TT except maybe head size. Would someone verify this, when looking at the specs on these irons offset is exactly the same, shaft length is the same, top line and sole I can't really tell from the photos online. Just curious.

More cavity on the MT which creates more forgiveness.

Also posted in the TT Thread:
After getting in 2 9 hole rounds and a full 18 over the weekend I can say these things are flat out awesome.
I have confidence pulling either one of the three I've got in the bag and stepping up to the ball I know I'm going to have a good result. If I don't it's not the arrows its the Indian I had my best round of the year on Saturday and it was the first full round for these.

New for the MT Thread:
There were a few instances that I can think of where the MT's really shined. There was a par 5 where I pushed a tee shot into the right rough. The rough was pretty thick and penalizing. At that distance normally I would have laid up with a 4H or 5i but I felt like I needed something a little smaller to really get into the rough. I pulled the MT 6. My playing partner tried to get me to step on the gas and rip a longer club but I was sold this was the right play. I put a great swing on it and the ball flew perfectly out of the rough, nice, high and perfect. I was left with a wedge into the green which was awesome. The rough had me worried for a minute but the MT's cut through it and gave me outstanding results.

I had a few poor shots that had better results that I would have though after hitting them. The forgiveness in these are amazing and I am happy that I built the combo set.

I hit the 588 MT 7 iron during demo day and came away very impressed. These irons are the real deal with more than adequate forgiveness, great ball flight, and distance to boot.

I hit the 588 MT 7 iron during demo day and came away very impressed. These irons are the real deal with more than adequate forgiveness, great ball flight, and distance to boot.

Impressed enough that a change is on the horizon??

Altitude ponder over MD441?
Better make sure and compare the two head to head in New England.

no not for me, Ive seen what these clubs do for my game, and once Im interested in lower scores, I'll maybe try them out again.

no not for me, Ive seen what these clubs do for my game, and once Im interested in lower scores, I'll maybe try them out again.

Funny! So many here seem to not be interested about score. I thought that was the point of the game!
What do I know.

Back