Cleveland 588 MT Irons Preview Thread

Here are a few comparison pics of the TT 4 iron against the TM R11 4 iron

The TT is the one with the white stripes on the ferrule, R11 has the single silver stripe on its ferrule

DSC00235_zps6c28cb99.jpg

DSC00230_zpse6f07691.jpg

DSC00229_zps895ff689.jpg

DSC00228_zps14f2ec76.jpg

The 588 MT irons are the real deal! I love those things and if irons were in my ponder mode, these would be on top of my list.

First word that came to my mind when hitting the MT's yesterday was 'soft'. These irons are very unlike the RocketBladez (and even the G25) when it comes to feel and sound pretty much everywhere on the face. It was almost unsettling as first. You get used to the way certain things sound and when you depart from that it's a little odd at first. In the end, I really liked it. REALLY liked it. Great feel from an iron in its category.

Another key difference I see is blade height. The MT's are a bit shallower in the mid irons to my eyes when compared with the Bladez. What effect will that have? No clue at the moment, but it's something I'll be watching.

Ball flight for me was on the higher side, but to my eyes was a shade lower than I've seen recently. For me, that was a mild surprise, and a good one at that. I've been struggling a bit with super high launch and it's costing me some yards. Can't verify that with data at the moment though.

Shaft felt fine. Nothing remarkable comes to mind. It seemed stable and a bit stiffer than the KBS Tour 90's for my swing. The entire iron seemed pretty light to me. The Bladez are really head-heavy and I didn't get that sensation here, though I know they are similar in swing weight.

Can't give a good comment on distance. It was windy. I want to say slightly (I mean slightly) shorter than the Bladez, but still on the longer side. I'd rather refrain on making that call for a while though.

Swung this on Saturday morning I believe pre-round. No warm up swings or nothing.....much much easier to hit than I thought. Thought they would be like hitting any iron but rather I found them about as easy to hit as the Altitudes.

These may eventually find a way into my bag....a few of them just for fun. Maybe the 3i as a go to club off of the tee to get a nice little 210-215 out there.

I hit the MTs and TTs and if I were to go Cleveland I would be building a mixed bag with 3,4,5, MT and 6-PW TT.

I hit the MTs and TTs and if I were to go Cleveland I would be building a mixed bag with 3,4,5, MT and 6-PW TT.

I could be tempted to hand over my blade-lust for a set like this. That's a tempting thought.

What did you think of the feel compared to the Pro Combos Paulo? I know I noticed a vast difference in 'softness', but I'm coming from a very different set of irons than you are.

Pretty close to my set. except 7-PW TT

What did you think of the feel compared to the Pro Combos Paulo? I know I noticed a vast difference in 'softness', but I'm coming from a very different set of irons than you are.

Good question. I was expecting a little 'duller' feel if I'm honest, but it didn't work out like that. To me, the feel of these irons was superior to most of the others I tested alongside them - and I'd include the XHots, Rocketbladez and AMPs in that bracket. I've hit some more forgiving irons (compared to the Pro Combos) that feel like nothing through the impact area, and others that feel clicky and harsh, but I'd say these fall somewhere towards the former. They provide enough feedback for me to know that I've hit something, and I could tell you whether I'd flushed it or hit it off the toe, as soon as the ball left the face of the club. Pretty impressed.

Nice feedback Paulo. I think we are on the same page there.

Awesome initial thoughts Hawk. I'm looking forward to long term comparisons.

I like that we're rocking similar set-ups dhill. Going to be fun to see how it all pans out.

I'm liking the 3 iron right now. I kinda wish I got an MT 4 iron. Launches exactly how I like and it's shockingly easy to hit. Great iron.

My MT 4i is ready for pick up from the pro shop... cant wait to hit this again

I'm liking the 3 iron right now. I kinda wish I got an MT 4 iron. Launches exactly how I like and it's shockingly easy to hit. Great iron.

Glad to hear it. Can't wait to see you blast some 3 irons down the pipe!

Bo Van Pelt the latest to add a MT long iron in the bag.

it's just crazy to see how many tour pro's are adding this to their bag

From what I'm hearing, he isn't the only one. Another interesting thing I heard is that there are some guys out there trying an MT 4 and 5 iron out. For some reason, the idea of the 5 iron getting Tour use is even crazier.

From what I'm hearing, he isn't the only one. Another interesting thing I heard is that there are some guys out there trying an MT 4 and 5 iron out. For some reason, the idea of the 5 iron getting Tour use is even crazier.

without a doubt.

They heard I was gaming one.

It is. I know GMac has the 5 iron, but is playing so well right now has not put it in the bag yet. How in the world can these guys look down at a thick topline? Crazy talk.

Back