Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Appreciate it War, hopefully you're more fairway than rough but its versatility out of all sorts of lies is pretty important too. The more feedback the better.

I'm eyeing something in that 24-26 degree range (can't remember the lofts off the top of my head) and this is pretty high on the ponder list

Any updates from this?

I honestly didn't get to go.
The winds were in the 60 mph and over area making huge dust storms. Accidents all over the freeway and even streets.
I live in Lancaster, CA The high desert, so I'm surrounded by Dirt. It's been terrible all week.

As soon as I can I will be out.

(Pardon my skimming) Has anyone who had trouble hitting woods/hybrids off the deck before this testing seen an improvement with the X-Hot? Particularly anyone with a RBZ history. I struggle mightily with my 5W and it turns almost every par 5 into a 3 shot hole.

Josh, I switched from a RBZ 3h to an X Hot 3h. Overall, the X Hot is easier for me to hit and does fly higher than the RBZ. I think the RBZ is longer for me (more of a 5 wood replacement) when I catch it, but early this year I only seemed to hit off the deck solidly every other time. I'm more consistent in getting the X Hot in the air (at least every 2 out of 3 times :bashful:) and it's a little bit more playable out of a variety of lies.

Josh, I switched from a RBZ 3h to an X Hot 3h. Overall, the X Hot is easier for me to hit and does fly higher than the RBZ. I think the RBZ is longer for me (more of a 5 wood replacement) when I catch it, but early this year I only seemed to hit off the deck solidly every other time. I'm more consistent in getting the X Hot in the air (at least every 2 out of 3 times :bashful:) and it's a little bit more playable out of a variety of lies.

Exactly what I was looking to hear.. thanks! I've been hitting my RBZ 5w better lately, but I'm trying to broaden my clubs outside of just playing TM. Will be looking into the x hot.

Had another thought just now and thought I'd re-quote this.

How is it our of bad lies such with the ball sitting down, in an old divot, in a fairway bunker, or other various types of sketchy lies?

There have been a lot of solid reviews so it's hard to really think of anything to ask you guys. I appreciate you guys putting this club through the ringer for the rest of us.

Thanks for the question Wardy. I have alot of trouble out of those types of lies because I am such a sweeper. I have been mainly trying to use irons from those lies but the few times I tried to hit this out of those lies I have been able to get the ball moving forward but on a much lower trajectory which is fine by me. As long as it goes forward.

Terrific answer. Thank you for answering that question. Love when other people outside of the testers get involved. Keep it coming!

Will have a full writeup tomorrow, but used this club twice today. On consecutive shots. On a Par 5. Let me tell you about it;

Hole #18 for my 9 hole league play (I started on hole #13 today). Long Par 5, but dogleg right around water. A chute of a tee box, and palms protect the water so you cant drive over the dogleg. I pulled the Xhot hybrid, and hit it right to the turn (fairways runs out around 225), and I was dead center of the fairway. So, with about 280 left to the pin, I decided to slap a hybrid down there again. So, hit it again off the deck, and was left with about 70 yards for my GIR and birdie try.

What does this tell me? Versatile. Reliable. Consistent.

Back to back shots on a par 5. Both the distance I wanted, and both on line with what I wanted. Both shots had trouble, tee shot had trouble on the right and 2nd shot had trouble left. Off the tee, off the deck, it just gets it done.

These two shots with the same club, consecutively, pretty much sum up what I have seen with this hybrid since I first put it in the bag.

Will have a full writeup tomorrow, but used this club twice today. On consecutive shots. On a Par 5. Let me tell you about it;

Hole #18 for my 9 hole league play (I started on hole #13 today). Long Par 5, but dogleg right around water. A chute of a tee box, and palms protect the water so you cant drive over the dogleg. I pulled the Xhot hybrid, and hit it right to the turn (fairways runs out around 225), and I was dead center of the fairway. So, with about 280 left to the pin, I decided to slap a hybrid down there again. So, hit it again off the deck, and was left with about 70 yards for my GIR and birdie try.

Back to back shots on a par 5. Both the distance I wanted, and both on line with what I wanted. Both shots had trouble, tee shot had trouble on the right and 2nd shot had trouble left. Off the tee, off the deck, it just gets it done.

These two shots with the same club, consecutively, pretty much sum up what I have seen with this hybrid since I first put it in the bag.

Good stuff, War Eagle. It sounds like you were on today! I have to admit that I haven't hit the X Hot hybrid off the tee yet.

Good stuff, War Eagle. It sounds like you were on today! I have to admit that I haven't hit the X Hot hybrid off the tee yet.

Tee that mofo LOW. Otherwise you end up with the Elephants Arse, High and stinky. I know from experience. Haha

took me a while to figure it out, but I tee it low, just above the ground. Love this little hybo off the tee.

So, why 70 yards?

I love that strategy off the tee. But I've gotta know... When you pulled it, did you pull it because you knew it would hit the fairway? Lots of options, why that one?

If I am playing to a number on a par 5, it's 100 yards. Is 70 your go to, or was the accuracy of the XHot the reasoning to take a second run at it?

So, why 70 yards?

I love that strategy off the tee. But I've gotta know... When you pulled it, did you pull it because you knew it would hit the fairway? Lots of options, why that one?

If I am playing to a number on a par 5, it's 100 yards. Is 70 your go to, or was the accuracy of the XHot the reasoning to take a second run at it?
I could have played a mid iron, but, I wanted to go back to back hybrid shots...cause I could.

But seriously, sitting there, there was a small creek to fly at 150 yards, so I didnt want to even flirt with that regardless of how well my iron play was. I pulled the hybrid, knew it would give me the results I wanted. I was playing the shot I was standing over more than playing the next shot...make sense?

I finally after 5 rounds got to use the X-Hot Pro 20* alot on the last two courses we played and I was really happy with what happened, Hole #10 of the Sunday round was a Par 4 320 yds with water in the 240 range so I knew a driver was too much and 3W would be flirting with the water so I broke the X-Hot out and aimed down the left side of the fairway as there was a big tree on the right that sorta blocked the approach to the green, and boom and nice high straight shot that landed at the 100 yd marker towards the left of the fairway. Then Monday we played this new course that was tight and you had to be straight most of the day I hit the X-hot alot and did not have any bad shots (mostly straight and high with a few slight fades) with it but with the course being new to me and with the subtle elavation changes it was wrong on a few of my distances, but that's my fault not the club.

I really feel I figured this club out as before I was hitting low liners so I stepped back a bit at address and things have worked a ton better and it's good feeling when you hit a club great all day .... I'm now deciding if I want to get another X-Hot or try the Cobra Amp as I'm looking to replace my R7 22* Rescue club.

P.S. - I need to get better at remembering all the details of my shots with this club, but when you play 36 holes in two days and are tired and did not play all that well (86 & 89) its hard to remember.. LOL

I continue to hit these better than any hybrid I have tried including RBZ, ping g20, razr x and razr x Hl. Hit long one for me into a green from 185 to an elevated green with 5 hybrid. I have standard h hot with standard shaft and am blown away by these. I have 4,5,6 and may add 3 some day.

I continue to hit these better than any hybrid I have tried including RBZ, ping g20, razr x and razr x Hl. Hit long one for me into a green from 185 to an elevated green with 5 hybrid. I have standard h hot with standard shaft and am blown away by these. I have 4,5,6 and may add 3 some day.
That's awesome, man! It really seems that these clubs are just great for everybody!

5adu4uru.jpg

Officially on the range and ready to roll!

I'm not leaving until I get my swing back with this Hot & Sexy Hybrid!

BREAKING NEWS: Stay tuned :)

its kind of amazing that one club can completely change the way you look at and play a hole. The hybrids are great!

its kind of amazing that one club can completely change the way you look at and play a hole. The hybrids are great!

The best thing I can say about this club is that it is a confidence builder. Having a club in your hand and knowing what to expect every time is huge. I am probably going to bag the 5H also shortly.

Sorry for the delay, here is my update.

Date: 5/30/13
Time: 7:00pm
Weather: Clear sky's with sustained 10-20mph winds
Place: Birdies driving range

So I got to the range last night after getting out of work. I was very eager to go because my week was finally coming to the point of having free days and the biggest reason being that I needed to practice and get my swing on point. It was almost dead empty with the exception of 1 other golfer. So I set up at my hitting box and began to take practice swings with my 3 wood. I didn't go with any irons because I really have been struggling with my Hybrid & 3 wood. My plan of attack was to input the new swing style that I had been using with my driver and to use it with the XHot & 3 wood.
So I took some practice swings and set up. I took my swing and what do you know, the ball came clean off the face and out with a nice draw but a bit low on flight. I took numerous amounts of swings with it and got varied results from low and long, hooked shots, and 2 fat shots. As I was taking my stance for each shot all i could think to myself was this has got to be the one for the Hybrid. I took a few shots with my driver and them went right into the XHot hybrid.

Like I said, my plan for swinging the club was to hit the ball almost like I would with my driver. What I do is take a slow and full backswing, then on my downswing my weight shifts towards my target as I simultaneously rotate my hips forward. It's almost like a sweeping motion but not fully. I have tried time and time to hit the Hybrid like an iron and it has done little to nothing for me. I knew their was something in my swing that was causing me to produce bad and ugly shots. When I first got the club, I had nothing but success and it was the easiest hybrid I had ever hit before. Well back to my first swing.
So I set up in my stance after my practice swings and took my actual swing. It wasn't anything great because it was thin and fairly short. Well the next few shots following were topped or thin. I didn't stop here because my determination to prevail was to high! What I did next was choke down on the club about 1 full inch. I took some practice swings that really focused on my swing plane. I set up, took my swing and my gosh it flew long and straight!!! I couldn't help but feel so happy. For a minute I thought it was a lucky shot and was almost nervous to repeat what I just did. Well I continued and shot after shot the ball penetrated through the air like a FMJ bullet would on a target. I had 2 fat shots and aside from this the only bad thing to happen was ripping the skin off my thumb from gripping to hard I believe. So I had to bandage it up and then put my glove on. I kept on practicing because what I was seeing was just relieving and enjoyable! I tried some shots off a tee and the contact I had was incredible as I could feel the ball compress so incredibly well:)

Overall I was very satisfied with my trip to the range. I finished off by hitting a few chip shots and left. Two questions I was left with was that I wasn't seeing the high ball flight I was seeing at first and could not figure it out . Does anyone have some insight on why this could be? And also does choking down on the club about 1 inch play a large difference in yardage?

I can now say I am loving this club so much again:) It sucks not being able to update with much news because you can't hit a club well. But now I can officially say I'm back. I hope to hit the range today before I got to work and will definitely be practicing with my XHot Hybrid :]

I hope you all have a great day and enjoy the weekend. Thanks again.
-Manny M.

Glad you like it, can you discuss the club and performance? You said you were getting a high ball flight, can you compare it to something else? Was the distance what you were expecting? Did you like the sound and feel of the club?

Back