Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Normal. Its working for me well. I dont think the pro would be any more beneficial to me. Found a used one on Global Golf..........

I think you should pull the trigger on it. Nothing to lose right?

I may need to sell the 4. Me and the stock shaft aren't getting along at all.

The pro is a completely different story

Might be easier to reshaft first?

Why did you go pro 3 and xhot 4?

Why did you go pro 3 and xhot 4?

I got a good deal on the 4 and hit it well into a net, or so I thought. The 4 is producing weak draws and the pro 3 which I bought used on a whim is producing straight bullets.

So essentially got good deals on both but hitting into a net doesn't always tell a good story

The love for these continue. Last 3 weeks I have hit my best shots in my life (only golfing 2 years). Tonight it was 205 yds from the green on a par 5 and put it 20 feet from the hole for a look at eagle. (4 hybrid). I 2 putt birdied. Several other solid shots with these as well. These are keepers.

The love for these continue. Last 3 weeks I have hit my best shots in my life (only golfing 2 years). Tonight it was 205 yds from the green on a par 5 and put it 20 feet from the hole for a look at eagle. (4 hybrid). I 2 putt birdied. Several other solid shots with these as well. These are keepers.
That is some solid feedback which makes me want to try these really bad. Had great success with the fairway woods when demoed last week. Hit some bombs with wood and think hybrid could be even better

The Callaway X Hot hybrid continues with it's enjoyment on the course and on the range...

After finally figuring out how to get this little guy to flight with regard to trajectory, on Wednesday night I decided to take my test/evaluation club and butt-trim it a 1/2" to get it to a more reasonable playing length (for me) of 40.25" which is what my Ping i20 played and coincidentally is the playing length of the X Hot Pro 20* version. So I blew off the grip, removed the old tape, took out my handy-dandy Dremmel to cut the shaft, reapplied tape and grip. Now this club is really starting to sing!! Flighting the trajectory is SOO much easier and it seems that the ball flight has gotten ever so flatter at peak trajectory with no degradation in distance. I'm still able to work the ball right or left 5-10 yards and center face contact is a lot easier.

I know that manufacturers are trying to drain every drop of distance out of these clubs but lengthening the shafts (IMO) is hurting the golfing public more than it's helping. We get fitted for irons where length and lie play a huge role but as soon as we exit to the hybrids and woods the LONGER is BETTER principle kicks in and we trade the potential for raw distance against the consistency of a center-face strike. Nevertheless, I encourage each of you to choke the club a half inch to an inch and see what results you get...

Last edited:
Can't agree with you more about the length of clubs. Half an inch can be the difference between coming into the ball and just brushing the ground or sticking it into the dirt.

Glad you finally found a way to make it happen!

The Callaway X Hot hybrid continues with it's enjoyment on the course and on the range...

After finally figuring out how to get this little guy to flight with regard to trajectory, on Wednesday night I decided to take my test/evaluation club and butt-trim it a 1/2" to get it to a more reasonable playing length (for me) of 40.25" which is what my Ping i20 played and coincidentally is the playing length of the X Hot Pro 20* version. So I blew off the grip, removed the old tape, took out my handy-dandy Dremmel to cut the shaft, reapplied tape and grip. Now this club is really starting to sing!! Flighting the trajectory is SOO much easier and it seems that the ball flight has gotten ever so flatter at peak trajectory with no degradation in distance. I'm still able to work the ball right or left 5-10 yards and center face contact is a lot easier.

I know that manufacturers are trying to drain every drop of distance out of these clubs but lengthening the shafts (IMO) is hurting the golfing public more than it's helping. We get fitted for irons where length and lie play a huge role but as soon as we exit to the hybrids and woods the LONGER is BETTER principle kicks in and we trade the potential for raw distance against the consistency of a center-face strike. Nevertheless, I encourage each of you to choke the club a half inch to an inch and see what results you get...
What are you doing differently now than you were previous to flight your shots differently?

What are you doing differently now than you were previous to flight your shots differently?

I had to choke down big time, like two inches. My hands are just above the naked shaft but still on the grip about an inch or so. Also, slight ball position change approx 1-1 1/2 balls back of normal playing position. This allowed me to come in a bit steeper...

Now, with the 1/2" off, I can grip down about an inch and still have enough space between my hands and the shaft. Really has made a HUGE difference in the club (for me). Gripping normally I can still get the mid-high to high ball flight but for reason it seems to launch to and flatten at peak trajectory faster than it did before. This a kewl little stick.

I love this club. Will write it up when I get home tomorrow.

I love this club. Will write it up when I get home tomorrow.
Did it help ya out today? I would imagine it was awesome in terms of turf interaction with the wet conditions.

Did it help ya out today? I would imagine it was awesome in terms of turf interaction with the wet conditions.
You're damn right it's awesome in wet conditions! I loved it in wet fairways. Normally I struggle with woods/hybrids from soft lies.

You're damn right it's awesome in wet conditions! I loved it in wet fairways. Normally I struggle with woods/hybrids from soft lies.
Course I am plyaying tomorrow will more than likely be soaked, I'll get it a try.

Course I am plyaying tomorrow will more than likely be soaked, I'll get it a try.
Can't believe you haven't had a chance to play a wet course living in FL!

I'll get to put this club to the test tomorrow at Pete Dye's Mystic Rock at the Nemacolin Woodlands Resort.

I didn't even think about that. Hopefully the course is open after the TS rain and then on top of this.

I didn't even think about that. Hopefully the course is open after the TS rain and then on top of this.

If not we can play up here, our courses never close.

Had this in the bag for the round today, and with the wet conditions I was able to put it to the test with turf interaction. Mward was riding in the cart with me, and I compred the Xhot Hybrid head to head with my Mashie for the same shot on a Par 5 (2nd shot). The turf interaction with the Xhot was hands down better than the Mashie in the sloppy conditions. Such a smooth, gliding, feel when hitting this shot in the wet junk. Barely even noticed the conditions at impact.

Was quite surprised at how easy it was to hit this in the sloppy conditions, but, I shouldnt have been, as I havent found a lie/situation that is too much for this one to handle.

Going to have a Pro 16° in the bag soon for a little head-to-head with the 3 wood. Something I've wanted to try for a couple months now.

Going to have a Pro 16° in the bag soon for a little head-to-head with the 3 wood. Something I've wanted to try for a couple months now.

That sounds awesome Hawk. I was just talking to a couple THPers last night about how close I came to selecting a 15*/18* hybrid for the MC rather than 14* 3 wood.

Hopefully the XHot performs in a big way for you.

That sounds awesome Hawk. I was just talking to a couple THPers last night about how close I came to selecting a 15*/18* hybrid for the MC rather than 14* 3 wood.

Hopefully the XHot performs in a big way for you.

It'll be interesting. I do fine with the fairway wood and I'm not sure I think a low lofted hybrid is always a good bet if you're not a big swinger, but there's only one way to find out! The head is just so good that I couldn't give it a shot.

I'm so happy that I can finally hit the XHot again:) it is so awesome to get the ball flying like a Freaking Rocket! I hope to get myself on the course this week and put it Into play.

I'm so happy that I can finally hit the XHot again:) it is so awesome to get the ball flying like a Freaking Rocket! I hope to get myself on the course this week and put it Into play.

Hopefully we'll be seeing some updates from you bud.

Back