Rory McIlroy using Mizuno irons?

hampshire2012

Reaction score
Handicap
****Warning: Completely unsubstantiated rumour follows*****

To cut a long story short, I heard today from someone who works in the sports agency industry that McIlory, frustrated with Nike's irons earlier this year, got in touch with Mizuno and had a special set made to match the look of his Nike's.

This is supposedly part of the cause of his split from his agent, and also the (relative) uptick in performance since the Honda classic.

Now this individual is normally pretty spot on (or at least has been) with such rumours, but this one sounded so far fetched I thought it was worth running by THP!

I would definitely consider myself a McIlroy fan, but I have to admit I would love it if this was true just for scandal value!

What do you guys think?

Hmmmmm. Intriguing if it's true.

It's actually quite common for players to play irons made by other manufacturers and have them stamped their sponsor's logo to appear to be their irons. Tiger does this too.

Oh man.

Negative Ghostrider

Rumor also has it that Brick killed a guy with a Trident!

In this case, according to Rory, the tour van (where we watched his irons built) and Nike, they are not.

I can't believe it's not butter?

It's actually quite common for players to play irons made by other manufacturers and have them stamped their sponsor's logo to appear to be their irons. Tiger does this too.

Seriously? So Tiger doesn't really play Nike clubs then? I find that hard to believe.

With that said.....what irons is TW really playing?

I heard he was using Altitudes

Tiger was "rumored" to have been using Mizuno, Miura and any number of other Japanese manufacturers. These rumors never go away. There is almost no chance it's true. You know, unless Mizuno or Miura stole all the design characteristics from Nike irons and built knockoffs.

TigerWoodsNikeIrons.jpg

In this case, according to Rory, the tour van (where we watched his irons built) and Nike, they are not.

Don't spoil the fun!! Fair enough though - it's still possible they've been swapped at some point (clutching at straws here!) but was always unlikely I guess.

Haha just thought how great it would've been if McIlroy's wedge snap had been in the third round and resulted in an awkward walk of shame to the mizuno van to get a replacement.

Hmmmm. Do you know this for fact? Im genuinely curious, because I have watched TW's irons be built on numerous occasions. As well as a whole lot of others.

Tiger is actually playing some Spaulding Executives. He's just used to them

Don't spoil the fun!! Fair enough though - it's still possible they've been swapped at some point (clutching at straws here!) but was always unlikely I guess.

Haha just thought how great it would've been if McIlroy's wedge snap had been in the third round and resulted in an awkward walk of shame to the mizuno van to get a replacement.

I hate to ruin the fun, but your friends' "rumor abilities" are not accurate with this one.

I hate to ruin the fun, but your friends' "rumor abilities" are not accurate with this one.

What about TW? JF said its true.

Hmmmm. Do you know this for fact? Im genuinely curious, because I have watched TW's irons be built on numerous occasions. As well as a whole lot of others.

Yes, but on which tour van??????:alien:

Ah well. To be fair I don't think golf is really his sport, only mentioned it because he knew I'm interested. That or he was just seeing what he could get me to believe!

I think his frustrations he's had have more to do with his own abilities instead of the equipment.

He'd be playing as poorly as he did earlier this year with Titleist irons, Mizuno irons, even Cleveland irons. Except Altitudes. Physically impossible.

Out of curiosity, what does building an iron actually entail? Does it happen at the actual event?

Out of curiosity, what does building an iron actually entail? Does it happen at the actual event?

Sometimes. Sometimes not. Assembly, loft and lie check, grips put on. Even in his case, grinding.
His irons are definitely not Mizuno irons. I can now say that as fact.

I don't think this is right.

Back