What would you do in my shoes?

wenpinow

Reaction score
Handicap
Played around last week as a single. Got paired up with another single and a twosome. Long story short, none of my playing partners took the time to fix their ball marks when they reached the putting green. Ended feeling like a caddie as I made the extra effort to repair all the damage that they made... Needless to say I putted like crap as there was virtually no time left to properly read my putts and go through my pre shot routine.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Speak out (and if so how to bring it up nicely) or pretend that everything is fine and play your own game like nothing is wrong?

Fix yours and a few others as you normally do. And any that are in your line. You don't go around looking for all of the unrepaired marks when on the greens when playing with your friends do you? Just do what you normally do.

Fix yours and a few others as you normally do. And any that are in your line. You don't go around looking for all of the unrepaired marks when on the greens when playing with your friends do you? Just do what you normally do.

That's what I do.

Yeah, keep doing what you do. But I'd also take time to read lines. Don't let them effect your game because they have no golf etiquette.

Tough one but something like "I'll just get that for you" early on might have dropped a hint (but could be too subtle).

I did similar last week when a partner hit a shot from the fairway and the divot didn't detach so was just sitting up and he started to walk away! Would have been a nightmare to land in for anyone behind.

Offer your divot tool to them. That'll get the point across.

I would have fixed my mark, one other, and maybe another large mark that I walked past. I also wouldn't have truncated my putting routine because of it.

I would fix mine and at least 2 others like I always do. Then I would ask them to help me fix a couple more with a grumble about the guys in front of us not fixing their ball marks.
If that didn't give them a clue to start fixing theirs, then I would let them know that they should fix their own ball marks as well.

Get a GreenSaver and they'll wanna try it themselves.

Fix one, loudly identify it as yours, say something like, "Man, that's a crater. Wouldn't want to have to putt over that!" Then maybe fix another on your line to putt. If they haven't figured it out, then offer your divot tool.

Also, as a duffer, I love the idea that I nailed an approach shot. Cleaning up my divot mark is one of my favorite things to do on the golf course.

I agree with this.

Ditto here! Just do your normal routine. I play with one person who never replaces divots(there are no sand bottles) and me and my partner replace them,he finally got the message but this is long term and you'll probably never play with them again. Enjoy the day!

This would be my advice. Lead by example and hope they catch on.

Fix one, loudly identify it as yours, say something like, "Man, that's a crater. Wouldn't want to have to putt over that!" Then maybe fix another on your line to putt. If they haven't figured it out, then offer your divot tool.

Also, as a duffer, I love the idea that I nailed an approach shot. Cleaning up my divot mark is one of my favorite things to do on the golf course.

All of the above! Better to be enthusiastic and positive rather than risk putting a downer on the group. Another one might be to ask loudly as you approach the green "you guys see my pitch mark? I hate putting until I have fixed it...preys on my mind"

This would be my advice. Lead by example and hope they catch on.

Yup. I keep a few spare tools in the bag from places that give them to you. I will ask if they know how to fix their ball mark and some don't. Sometimes they make an excuse that I give them back when I leave a ball mark in their line. I will fix it - after they putt.

Wow, I'm surprised they didn't think to themselves "if he's going to fix my ballmark, maybe I should actually fix it myself." That sucks, but I'd just keep fixing the ballmarks, maybe make an abstract comment about the need to fix them.

~Rock

Offer your divot tool to them. That'll get the point across.

+1 This typically works for me. It's a nice/subtle way of getting them to take care of the course.

Played around last week as a single. Got paired up with another single and a twosome. Long story short, none of my playing partners took the time to fix their ball marks when they reached the putting green. Ended feeling like a caddie as I made the extra effort to repair all the damage that they made... Needless to say I putted like crap as there was virtually no time left to properly read my putts and go through my pre shot routine.

What would you guys do in my shoes? Speak out (and if so how to bring it up nicely) or pretend that everything is fine and play your own game like nothing is wrong?

Fix the marks. Take your time to read your putts. Let them figure it out.

That's what I do.

Good advise from all.

We are usually the first few groups to tee off so the greens are usually pristine. Fellas in my group are pretty good about fitting ball marks and divots. I generall will try to fix mine plus another 1-2 since I figure that there won't be any if everyone did that. Funny thing is my 9 and 6 year old boys are starting to play golf and i have been working on teaching them the etiquettes involved in our game. Just grates me a little that they understand the need to keep the course in good shape while some older folks don't have a clue...

I agree with Smalls.

This is it. Unless it is your home course and they are visitors, then you could tell them that they are expected to repair ball marks and rake bunkers.

That's a tough one. It's possible they didn't know any better, but should have gotten the hint when you kept fixing them. I probably would have asked if they knew how to fix the marks, but wouldn't have let it take away from my prep time.

Back