Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll say this, in 4 trips to Golfsmith (in which i've spent... 700 on an iron set, $250 on a putter, also have bought a bag, 3deep, 3h, Mack daddy 2 sandwedge, and twice for the driver) They've never switched shafts for me to try different shafts, they put me on the ball mointor twice and went.... "Yep, you should go witht he X-Hot, it has a draw bias to help with your slice" (of which over my razr fit, it seems worse) and.. "I'm a tweener in speed, go with a regular shaft". I feel like I should contact someone to see if I should be fit for my current clubs. With everything I'm reading, I feel like you guy are telling me a solid fitting could change my game a bit

At the end of the day, there's only so much a club can do to stop a slice. If you're attacking the ball with the weight rotating off your back leg like you're swinging a baseball bat (totally guessing), you may as well aim left because that thing isn't going to fly straight with a hook biased driver let alone a draw biased one.

Here's an awesome thought: Next time you're at the range, grab a swing video with the driver, and post it to the "Ask a Pro" section -- GolfTec instructors come in and answer questions and can give you a good idea of what to work on. Either that, or find a good PGA instructor and start refining that swing rather than trying to find the perfect piece of equipment for it. For all I know, a couple tweaks could have you hitting baby fades.

A legitimate fitting by a certified shop, or an actual lesson could pay more dividends than you think.

2012 Callaway Forged Wedges.

Or should I just go Mack Daddy?

Mack Daddy. Love the C grind on the original X Forged. My vintage 58 is fast becoming my favorite club in the bag. Since reading some of the Stockton stuff, I've been using it for a ton of shots. My current favorite is the low grabbing long chip/pitch shot. The heel relief makes it easy to open up the face too for some of the higher, quick stopping shots. Looks sweet with the rust too.

I use the 54 SW for 3/4-full shots and fluffy sand only at this point...

I'm doing that for sure. You guys help more than most people I've met. I'm going to get properly fitted, because for all I know.... I'm using the wrong set/type.

Then I'm working on my swing. I'm no Charles Barkley, but I'm 100% sure the slice is on me, it's not on the club. My irons are straight, my Hybrid is like an arrow, my driver is.... like a box of chocolates.

I'll look for a good fitting place in Columbus, and go from there. Maybe I can get fitted and lessons at the same shop.

I'll say this, in 4 trips to Golfsmith (in which i've spent... 700 on an iron set, $250 on a putter, also have bought a bag, 3deep, 3h, Mack daddy 2 sandwedge, and twice for the driver) They've never switched shafts for me to try different shafts, they put me on the ball mointor twice and went.... "Yep, you should go witht he X-Hot, it has a draw bias to help with your slice" (of which over my razr fit, it seems worse) and.. "I'm a tweener in speed, go with a regular shaft". I feel like I should contact someone to see if I should be fit for my current clubs. With everything I'm reading, I feel like you guy are telling me a solid fitting could change my game a bit

As someone who has battled with a slice, and bought quite a few drivers trying to fix it, you aren't going to fix your slice with a golf club, the right shaft with a draw weighting will tame it a bit, but at the end of the day your slice is probably caused by an outside in swing, and clubs aren't going to fix that. Your bag is a really good looking bag, and I know good golf can be played with those clubs. I might would stay away from golfsmith for a while and working on the swing path. This is hypocritical of me because I've chased better golf through better clubs many times, but in the end the only thing that helped my slice was getting my swing path figured out.

Either way I wouldn't both with that golfsmith anymore.

I now need to fill the gap between the 3deep and my 5 iron. Full ponder mode on X Hot Pro hybrids....especially with the 25% today.

I think having an instructor fit you is a good thing, assuming you can find somebody that is skilled at both things. He'll know your swing better than a guy that you just met. Might be worth taking a few lessons first and then seeing what he thinks about your equipment.

I'm doing that for sure. You guys help more than most people I've met. I'm going to get properly fitted, because for all I know.... I'm using the wrong set/type.

Then I'm working on my swing. I'm no Charles Barkley, but I'm 100% sure the slice is on me, it's not on the club. My irons are straight, my Hybrid is like an arrow, my driver is.... like a box of chocolates.

I'll look for a good fitting place in Columbus, and go from there. Maybe I can get fitted and lessons at the same shop.

Don't know what your budget is like, but there is a Golftec in Dublin and Easton. They're pricey, but the quality is pretty consistent across locations. Past that, I would look for some recommendations from local golfers or buddies. Good luck!

ASN, I love my 3Hybrid, I picked it up at a golf course and it's been a great decision. The pro showed me a few shots with it, and then recommended it to me based on my iron swing. It feels great and travels a great distance.

Canadan/Hawk/Wake. I have an appointment at GolfTec Easton now. We'll see how it goes. He told me to just bring the driver, and said... "We can get that fixed" We set a few goals over the phone, and we'll see how it goes. $99 for a Swing Evaluation. Seems a little expensive compared to some lessons I saw, but, around here people seem to like it.

Thanks all!

ASN, I love my 3Hybrid, I picked it up at a golf course and it's been a great decision. The pro showed me a few shots with it, and then recommended it to me based on my iron swing. It feels great and travels a great distance.

Canadan/Hawk/Wake. I have an appointment at GolfTec Easton now. We'll see how it goes. He told me to just bring the driver, and said... "We can get that fixed" We set a few goals over the phone, and we'll see how it goes. $99 for a Swing Evaluation. Seems a little expensive compared to some lessons I saw, but, around here people seem to like it.

Thanks all!

Great choice. I have gone to golftec for a while and love it. The swing eval is not cheap but is well worth it.

Hope it works out. You have to commit to putting in the work, but I don't doubt that you'll get squared away.

Thanks all!

Congrats dude, you're on your journey to improvement!!

Hopefully he can give you some swing numbers that you can bring back to us! I'm definitely intrigued now.

I got a new job. Chase as a Mortgage Broker at Corporate. They do all kinds of outings from Normal Just weekend golf, to charity, and "Adult" charity events. I'd like to show up on the tees, and just not be the "alternate shot" putter. Lol. Silly but hey.

Also, recently after joining her, you yahoos have me wanting to drop below my (now 11) handicap, so I can get on this MC, and make a THP event. It's like meth, with golf balls.

Also, recently after joining her, you yahoos have me wanting to drop below my (now 11) handicap, so I can get on this MC, and make a THP event. It's like meth, with golf balls.

The good news is that the Morgan Cup has always been open to players under a 18 index.
And that THP has about 15 events a year and normally at least one in the midwest.

I got a new job. Chase as a Mortgage Broker at Corporate. They do all kinds of outings from Normal Just weekend golf, to charity, and "Adult" charity events. I'd like to show up on the tees, and just not be the "alternate shot" putter. Lol. Silly but hey.

The good news is that the Morgan Cup has always been open to players under a 18 index.
And that THP has about 15 events a year and normally at least one in the midwest.

As well as a couple smaller, local gatherings we do here in the Midwest! It'll be great to put a swing to a username, as I like to say!

Pondering going to Franklin.

well, I'm in for the Ohio one for sure, I'll get a video of my swing (maybe as early as tonight to try to post up here) we'll see how that goes, before I go to GolfTec. Can I post those videos here?

Yeah thats pretty much awesome, I can already tell i'll be at a few events coming up.

well, I'm in for the Ohio one for sure, I'll get a video of my swing (maybe as early as tonight to try to post up here) we'll see how that goes, before I go to GolfTec. Can I post those videos here?

Yeah thats pretty much awesome, I can already tell i'll be at a few events coming up.

The "Ask the Pro" section is sponsored by Golftec. Someone from Golftec will take a look at your swing and provide some feedback.

2012 Callaway Forged Wedges.

Or should I just go Mack Daddy?

I was going to wait for the MD2s, but an online retailer had a killer deal on the Copper Forged Wedges, so I went with those. Very happy with the wedges, so far.

Pondering going to Franklin.

As in Seemore Franklin? I love Nashville and have a"family" in Franklin, I have wanted to get up there for a while.

As in Seemore Franklin? I love Nashville and have a"family" in Franklin, I have wanted to get up there for a while.

Indeed. They shouldn't have told me about the sample lime green patent headcover, I want it now. I need it now.

lime green excuse me WHAT NOW?!

You should read the forum more.

(hehehehe, counterbalanced thread, they posted a pic)

You should read the forum more.

(hehehehe, counterbalanced thread, they posted a pic)

The fewer SeeMore threads I go in daily, the better off my wallet is.

Time to sneak over for a gander.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back