Titleist 910 D2 & D3 Drivers

Dean I am still waiting

I also thought the 910 sounded different than I thought it would. Coming from the sound of the SL290 which I enjoyed, I found it felt quite muted.

A4 was the setting of choice, still wanting on a monitor so I can get some stats with it.

Probably not, but that would be a fun group to be part of! I just figured it would fun to try it out. Always nice to expand my horizons a little.

Great freaking driver though dude...what shaft

I hit two bombs at my golf course today which blew past anything I've hit there in the past. The 910 D2 was cooking with Crisco for sure :hungry:

Nice swap hawk, what shaft you have on there? I've spent a good amount of time with the 913 the past few months, and after switching out shafts I like what I see.

Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Great freaking driver though dude...what shaft

The blue one lol. I want to say Ahina?

I hit it on the range again tonight. Didn't adjust it. Still a little more left than I'd like at times, but it's basically set on powerdraw right now, which is not a great match for me. Either way, hit some very nice shots with it. Liked the trajectory quite a bit and it sounds very nice.

The "blue one" is the Kai'li if it's one of the Diamana shafts.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Black is the Ahina I believe.

Fortunately for my wallet, but unfortunately for my club addict side, the 910 is working for me again... I tee it like an iron to keep the ball flight down, and holy crap, does it go again. I think I might get it painted red though to match my would-be covert tour... :banana:

Wow, that's crazy low. I still tee it up pretty high. Love the way the thing sounds and I can get some pretty nice looking shots from it. Have yet to take it to the course, but maybe this weekend I will.

Atta boy, Hawk. We'll get you on the Elitist side before you know it.

I really enjoyed the 910D2 a lot. I'd still like to try one with a B Asha to see how that combo works. The PX shaft that I had was really nice, though.

Once I get the fairways you will officially like me I figure.

Depends. Are we discussing RL Hawk or Internet Hawk?

RL of course.

I expected the Mitsu shaft to feel stiffer, but it's pretty smooth. Never had a chance to try them out before.

Since THP has selected their new reviewer (congrats CanaDan!), I suppose it's a good time to release our driver reviews. So here is mine (with some additions I had to trim to keep under the 600 word limit).

Introduction
Since the introduction of their first metal woods in 1984, Titleist has released over twenty different driver models [1]. The 910D2 – and 910D3 – were Titleist’s initial venture into the adjustable club market, serving as the company’s flagship from 2010 to 2012. Since supplanted by the 913 model, the 910 clearly laid the groundwork for the 913’s performance success. Regarding the 910 models, there are distinct differences between the D2 and D3 offerings – most of which revolve around head volume and the resultant playability differences.

The 910D2 is a 460cc driver with a classic pear-shaped head, designed by Titleist “to produce mid/high launch with a medium/low spin”. The 910D2 is available in the following lofts: 8.5°, 9.5°, 10.5° and 12°. Additionally, a 7.5° lofted version – right handed only – was released in 2012. The titanium head is paired with a 45” standard length shaft and a Tour Velvet grip. The 910D2 comes with 5 stock shaft offerings and an impressive 83 custom shaft options [2]; allowing Titleist to confidently claim that there is something here for everyone.

Appearance

If the bright color offerings of many drivers in this day and age are seen as the flashy attention getters on the red carpet of golf, then the 910D2 is the classic, yet elegantly styled A-lister. The tuxedo black, PVD and paint finish, with a small white sight line atop the crown impresses but does not distract. The sole of the driver is likewise black with the exception of a centralized silver plate sporting the Titleist name and the 910D2 label, with the D2 accented in red. The loft is also stated on the sole, in our case 12°, and a removable weight can be found towards the back, in line with the club heads center of gravity. Optional weight kits (containing 2, 5, 7, 9 and 12g weights) to adjust the clubs swing weight are sold separately by Titleist. Standard weighting (7 grams; D3 swing weight) was used in the review of this driver.

Adjustability

In addition to the adjustable swing weight options mentioned above, the 910D2 also comes equipped with their patented SureFit Tour (STF) hosel technology. This allows the user to independently adjust loft (+1.5° to -0.75° in 0.75° increments) and lie (+1.5° upright to -0.75° flat in 0.75° increments). A wrench is provided with adjustments as easy as undoing a screw, and accomplished in seconds. In total, the SFT hosel allows for a total of 16 unique loft and lie combinations.

Playability

The 910D2 was tested outdoors, with the standard SFT setting (A1). Trajectory was a high, yet penetrating ball flight. Titleist’s claims of medium/low spin could be verified by the reviewer as his typical straight-fade ball flight with other drivers, significantly straightened with the 910D2; even given the slight fade bias setting of the club. Off centered shots were met with a large degree of forgiveness, with considerable distance still achieved.

The stock Diamana Kai’li 65 (Blue) regular flex (62g) shaft was well suited for this reviewer (85-90 mph swing speeds). While it could be described as somewhat “whippy”, when paired with a smooth tempo it performed admirably. It could be punishing however if caution wasn’t taken to keep that tempo consistent. It’s designed to be low spin, so some individuals may find it a poor match, and as always, a fitting is highly recommended.

Conclusions

With the 910 model, Titleist has given the golfing community a strong performer. Given the large degree of customization available with this driver (i.e., STF hostel, removable swing weights, and custom shaft options) the 910D2 can be reasonably paired to many a golf swing.

Footnotes
[1] The entire list can be found in the Archive section of the Titleist website. The driver section can be found here: https://www.titleist.com/previous-models/drivers/default.aspx (accessed 03/01/2014).
[2] Titleist 910 brochure, with all the geeky specification information can be found here: http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/910_drivers.pdf (accessed 03/01/2014)

Loved that review Deuce. Good stuff.

That was really well done deuce.

That's solid deuce. You can hold your head high on that one.

Hey, Deucy, I got one of those, too!!!

I wrote mine like it was the year they came out.
https://db.tt/rwB3lfou

Crazy great deuce!

Very nice review, Deuce! Well written with lots of good info. Love the history of Titleist metal drivers that had in there.

Titleist 910 D2 & D3 Drivers

Duece and Toad.

Well those were off the chart good. Boy I bet mine didn't even make the original stack to review, once they saw entries like those.

As others have said the knowledge, passion and creativity that THP members have is unsurpassed on the Golf-Interweb!!

I just destroyed the courses yesterday and today with the 910d2 and it rekindled my love affair with this club. I don't know what it is about it but I just feel confident with it in hand over the ball. The ability to keep the face open while turning up the loft is quite nice for someone like me who prefers an open face, and the sound/feel of this club is still the gold standard by which I judge everything else. I have 7 other drivers that were made and released 1-3 years after this one and I've seen that the 910d2 can match performance with the best of them.

Anyone looking for a premium driver at a reduced price should really look in this direction.

Back