Isn't it buried somewhere in the rule book about not allowing that in a round? ESPECIALLY if it winds up helping your "ryhthym" or pace of swing? An artificial aid or something.

Isn't it buried somewhere in the rule book about not allowing that in a round? ESPECIALLY if it winds up helping your "ryhthym" or pace of swing? An artificial aid or something.

There are a lot things in the rule book that people don't follow. I would be willing to be 99% of people don't go back and re tee after they hit the ball OB but you know what, unless its a tournament I don't care, I don't feel like playing 5 hour rounds.

I played in an outing a few years ago, one of the guys we played with, who I believe is now a member of this forum had a little stereo in the car. At first I was like what the heck, never seen it before but it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. Wouldn't do it all the time but it was a nice way to mix things up.

Consideration for others is the key on this subject. If I'm by myself I often throw on Pandora and enjoy some relaxing tunes. I play it loud enough to hear it within maybe 20 feet of the cart and that's it. If I join up with a group I turn it off unless they want it on. I enjoy it, but I don't NEED it. It also greatly depends on what music you like. I love relaxing guitar melodies but if someone was playing 80's Hair Metal I'm sure I would hate it too. I think a lot of people would enjoy it if they gave it a shot. I'm not saying everyone go crank your iPods on the golf course, but don't knock it til' you try it. If you can't handle a few distractions on the golf course... I'll stop here.

Hey! Let's start the official Distraction Thread! What annoys you on the golf course?

I'm almost neurotic about not bothering other people, so I'm a no on playing music from the cart. I don't mind other people doing it though.

I have been known to listen to some music when Im playing alone, depending on the mood of the round. When Im out just to enjoy the relaxation and not keep score then Ill fire up some music.

I've found that some RHCP and light hip hop/pop music has been good for keeping my mind off of bad shots, and for a good tempo :p

I love practicing while using an ipod shuffle and the newer apple earbuds, they don't block out all the background noise (which is good) but stay in considerably better than the older versions and the unit is so light you don't even notice it. I played a mostly solo round last week on the 4th and used them as well. I just use a fully random playlist so I'll get a block of Ministry, Gladiator Soundtrack, Enya, Social Distortion, Norah Jones, System of a Down, Frank Sinatra, Thelonius Monk all in a row, etc.

The times I've try to use them with my regular group they yell at me like I'm cheating and think I'm getting motivational advice from a Dr. Phil podcast or something. "YOU CAN MAKE THIS SHOT! YOU CAN DO IT!" *skulls it over the green* :arrogant:

I have never brought music to the course but have heard a few others do it and I enjoy it.

With this iheartradio app, I have decided to play it while I am walking with my cart....wondering how it will impact my mood, etc.

I have a pretty different opinion regarding course music.

After a scramble event last weekend with music played throughout, I found that I actually enjoyed it. Most of what was being played was like, top ten type stuff from back when i was in high school and such (closing time comes to mind) and it was just really pleasant. Not too loud either, as it sat in the cart and didn't really impact me aside from joking around about some country that came on with a guy who was bringing out a monstrous twang drawl.

Tonight, I decided to give it a shot again with my wife for nine. Played some Walk the Moon and Imagine Dragons, loud enough to enjoy while directly beside the cart, but not loud enough to hear about 15 feet away or more. Again, I actually really enjoyed it. Found it to be a positive addition.

I think there's a good way to use music on course, and then an obnoxious way. if people a hole away can hear you jammin, I think that's really where I draw the line, but some relaxing music at a reasonable level in the cart? I'm pretty sure I am for it in most situations.

Rolled up behind a group this summer and the guy had a speaker and his iPhone in his push cart. Nothing you could hear 15 feet away or more. Nice guy though he asked if it bothered anyone but it didn't. I have since thought about it but never done it.
If I am struggling with tempo I bring my ipod and headphones to the range on occasion. Really like some BB King stuff with a strong bass beat to get me slowed up and back in rhythm.

I no longer play without music. Got my little portable speaker with iPod. Love it.

Yea, we just need to work on that playlist of yours.

I know. I have not purchased music in a longtime.

Too much hard rock and not enough Jack Johnson.

I know. I have not purchased music in a longtime.

Too much hard rock and not enough Jack Johnson.
Purchase? Napster ftw!

Our neighborhood league of hackers had a portable speaker in every cart now. They crept in slowly throughout the season but are mainstay now whenever the group plays together. Since I play alone a lot I have been using headphones for a couple seasons now. Definitely keeps my mind off bad shots and free from thinking to much about technique.

I would have no problem listening to music on the range or practice green, but on the course...probably not. I'm confident I could stay focused, but I usually like to give all concentration to my game, and listening to music (for me) would take away from that to a small degree.

Since playing with Cookie, I'm dragging my Ipod & speaker around every round. Throw it on shuffle & hope no one gets offended.

I have a group of guys I play with that cannot play without listening to music. I as well play the majority of my rounds solo, and therefore find it extremely distracting. But hey I guess it works for some people!

The key is to finding something that relaxes you. If you're going to listen to music on the course, that's what it should be. If you're a metalhead, you should probably leave the ipod at home.

Listening to Hotstepper right now on the course. Old but a goodie!

aneqyhat.jpg

I'd like to listen to music when I play, but don't as I don't want to distract others. If i were playing with others that would be OK with it I totally would and really anything but country would be fine for me.

Do you guys use head phones/earbuds or small speakers?

Back