TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

After reading through this thread I can say I haven't been this excited about a club release in a long time. I have always stayed away from GI irons thinking they weren't for me but all of this is making me re-think that.

Excellent feedback Dan. I'm curious though for you and everyone else that hit them: jumpers and flyers in both the fairway and rough. Because these things launch so high and with little spin, does that create a few issues with catching one another 15yds than expected?

I am with Dan and that I had a couple of shots out of the rough over the weekend that I hit perfectly flush. In those shots, I didn't any of the shots flew on me to the point that I saw significant yardage gain.

I should add that I have a feeling I will be in the rough in the very near future, so I will keep an eye on this one. :)

I believe you are relating this to driver smash factor.
Most amateurs are in the 1.1 to 1.35 for smash factor with irons.
LPGA pros who hit the sweet spot nearly all the time had 1.37 for a 7 iron based on stats sent to us and PGA Tour pros with a 7 iron were at 1.33 for a 7 iron.

FWIW, I believe the correct number was 91 club head speed

I wasn't relating it to drivers.
Dan isn't the average amateur and those numbers listed are barely above 1.1.
Nice info.

And, if 91SS is correct then we are at 1.28 which puts Dan just below PGA.

It just struck me as odd as soon as I heard it. I figured it was just a mistake but I didn't know which number was wrong. The spin numbers make less sense than the rest anyway.

Jman will be able to help you. From what I saw briefly, no big difference in distance, but a big difference in feel and looks.

Thanks, Hawk. It is just a curiousity. I'm still so happy with the RocketBladez that I don't see myself changing anytime soon. Still, I do enjoy seeing other people go through the same basic experience and becoming converts :)

I just read that there is some offset in the 3-5/6 irons. Did anyone testing this weekend notice if it was anymore then normal or have any problems with the offset causing a hook? I draw the golf ball and the word offset tends to scare me.

Ary, I've had this very thing on my brain for almost a year now since the Bladez came out. I've poked around and asked some questions, but nobody has really answered me definitively. I know that I've sat there on a Vector and looked at spin numbers, launch total height, carry, landing angle and ball speed with the Bladez vs some others and just been confused, because everything I've read said I was 'supposed' to have higher spin, but logic was making me ask why. In reality, the combination of (as you put it) driver-like ratios was producing high balls that carried farther than anything else.

I tend to agree with you Ary, and was shocked to hear that my gamer spin numbers were 'only' what they were. It could have something to do with the range balls we were utilizing during the process, but that is just speculation. Generally speaking I would anticipate my spin rates with a 7 to be above the average tour numbers (and I say that as a bad thing not unlike my driver spin being generally too high as well).

Good point Dan, range balls may be involved a little bit, but that wouldn't explain it all. Hawk, I've been the same way in simulators and such, wondering why the spin numbers were "so low" with certain clubs that I tested out in the past year or so. It was to the point where I would shy away from certain clubs because I thought the spin numbers wouldn't be compatible with holding greens in real life. The simulators would show 10-15 yards of roll with a 6 iron, why do I want that? But I guess in real life the results may be different.

I'm playing the best golf of my life right now with my current irons, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the stuff that is coming down the line this fall and early next year as well. Having some more distance and higher trajectory in the mid to long irons would be great, if the gapping with the short irons and wedges can stay consistent.

Quick skim...
Was anyone previously playing the RocketBladez irons? What were the distance gains there, if any?

If it helps at all, much of what I'm seeing here regarding distance, trajectory and forgiveness mirrors the experience we RocketBladez testers had. Those are just great GI clubs. I suspect the SpeedBladez are as well and all the improvements being seen are completely legit.

Jman will be able to help you. From what I saw briefly, no big difference in distance, but a big difference in feel and looks.

I saw minor gains over the Bladez and the Altitudes, less so over the Alt's than the Bladez, I'm talking a yard or two in the long irons.

Hawk nailed in that, to me, they sound/feel LOTS better, and by lots I mean LOTS and aesthetically speaking its not even close to my eye. I thought eh Bladez were nice but the SpeedBlades are the entire package aesthetically, including less offset.

I know some roll their eyes because they are eternal pessimists for whatever reason, but I really really really came away impressed. Best TM irons released in a LONG time IMO, and I've gamed the 2.0's, R11's, and Bladez at one point.

nevermind, found question in post

Good point Dan, range balls may be involved a little bit, but that wouldn't explain it all. Hawk, I've been the same way in simulators and such, wondering why the spin numbers were "so low" with certain clubs that I tested out in the past year or so. It was to the point where I would shy away from certain clubs because I thought the spin numbers wouldn't be compatible with holding greens in real life. The simulators would show 10-15 yards of roll with a 6 iron, why do I want that? But I guess in real life the results may be different.

I'm playing the best golf of my life right now with my current irons, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the stuff that is coming down the line this fall and early next year as well. Having some more distance and higher trajectory in the mid to long irons would be great, if the gapping with the short irons and wedges can stay consistent.

It can. PW flows into my GW, SW, LW very well.

I just read that there is some offset in the 3-5/6 irons. Did anyone testing this weekend notice if it was anymore then normal or have any problems with the offset causing a hook? I draw the golf ball and the word offset tends to scare me.

Offset doesn't cause hooks, its a visual flaw and usually because we don't set up correctly (I'm the same way, its why I stray from offset, my eye plays tricks on me about my setup but I know science has proved the offset DOES NOT cause the hooks).

That said, the offset it not bad at all in the 4-5 IMO. In fact, its decreased from the Bladez to these as well.

Fwiw, I was always using my ball of choice at the time rather than a range ball. Depending on the day, an e6, V1, Z-Star, etc. On course experience never showed an issue holding greens for me with the Bladez.

Offset doesn't cause hooks, its a visual flaw and usually because we don't set up correctly (I'm the same way, its why I stray from offset, my eye plays tricks on me about my setup but I know science has proved the offset DOES NOT cause the hooks).

That said, the offset it not bad at all in the 4-5 IMO. In fact, its decreased from the Bladez to these as well.

How does the offset compare to the low irons in the i20s James?

just curious, but any issue with dirt caking in that channel on the bottom of the irons?

It's funny that we had this conversation in the hotel room on Saturday night. I also tend to steer away when something is too offset because I set up way to closed. But Jman is spot on, there isn't much on the longer irons, definitely not enough to set it up closed.

a8anevar.jpg
just curious, but any issue with dirt caking in that channel on the bottom of the irons?

It isn't a huge channel at the bottom, I'll take a pic in a few minutes to show how deep it is.

My gamers are pretty similar to your Razr X Tours and no, increased offset did not increase my draw or turn it into a hook.

At all, actually.

They all have full in them (polyurethane, I believe) that makes them smooth so that there is nothing that can get in there. We will see how it holds up over time, but I am sure that if they have had any problems with it in the Rocketbladez, they fixed it here.

They all have full in them (polyurethane, I believe) that makes them smooth so that there is nothing that can get in there. We will see how it holds up over time, but I am sure that if they have had any problems with it in the Rocketbladez, they fixed it here.

And there weren't any problems.

What's going to be the deciding factor on shaft changes for you guys? Was there anything that led you to think you'd go that route, or is it just the desire to do some tinkering? Did you all get some recommendations there at the fitting session?

For me, my stupid aggressive move form the top I battle. I have a hard time controlling it sometimes and traditionally a little heavier shaft has helped with that. I don't want to lose the flight so I'm seriously looking at Bob's recommendation of the CTL's in these, as I already know I love those shafts and they are a little heavier without being too beefy. I know he said I could go with X and handle them just fine, but as its a mental thing for me I know they would make me want to swing harder and that's no bueno with where I struggle tempo wise. I was recommended to look at CTL's or flighted PX's 6.0 or 6.5.

Can someone give an overview of the entire set? What were their early thoughts based on the couple of rounds played so far?

I'm going to snap some pic's and try and get a full post up ASAP.

30.5 degree 7 iron! Would have to add another wedge or two with the low lofts in this set. Sounds like it was an awesome and and very informative experience. Looking forward to reading more about the clubs, experience, etc.

I've had no issues. My 54* RTX CB and 59* Hopkins fit in after the AW perfectly. I think some overthink the loft a ton. Launch, launch, launch.

Great stuff guys. Love how much people are loving these.

Here is my concern about this iron. You guys are talking about not having issues holding greens, but with what irons? I'm concerned about the long to mid irons on long Par 3's, for example. Are you still able to generate enough spin that it won't release? A few Par 3's come to mind with forced carries. If it's a front pin is there enough carry and spin to stay close to the flag?

I hit a couple massive 5/6's into greens this weekend with ZERO issues holding. Including a 6i on a 188 yard par 3.

How does the offset compare to the low irons in the i20s James?

VERY close both in offset (tiny bit more, but not as much as the Bladez had compared to the i20's) as well as overall size. The topline is practically identical contrary to what the eye initially tells you, this is because the SpeedBlades have a SQUARED topline while the i20's are more ROUNDED.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

Excellent feedback Dan. I'm curious though for you and everyone else that hit them: jumpers and flyers in both the fairway and rough. Because these things launch so high and with little spin, does that create a few issues with catching one another 15yds than expected?

For me, shots out of the rough were much lower than my current irons. I instantly preferred them out of the rough because of the smaller yet heavier heads (compared to my current set) and the ball flight, which was more predictable with more roll. They didn't give me any issues with flyers from what I can remember on the whole.

Wardy, much like the Bladez I didn't see any jumpers. Obviously they happen on a flyer lie, but from settled rough and fairways I saw none of it. No nightmares of how the 2.0's were at all.

Just wanted to post my thoughts after a couple of rounds with the SpeedBlades. I need to make it known that I was totally gassed and struggled to get through the round on Sunday. 3 rounds in the Florida heat and being somewhat ill Sunday morning took it's toll on me thus my play was effected so I credit most if not all my bad shots to fatigue not to the irons.

Fitting Numbers (Compared to my TM Burner HT's) - Launch Angle: Burner HT - 12.3 SpeedBlades - 15.8 (increase of 3.5); Spin: Burner HT 4581, SpeedBlades - 3147 (decrease of 1434 - this number really surprised me); Carry: Burner HT - 123 yards, SpeedBlades - (137 yards for a pick up of 14 yards).

Sound / Feel: The SpeedBlades sound incredible. I never really cared for the sound of the RocketBlades at all and was concerned that since they had the speed pocket that the sound would be similar. They aren't. The pocket has a cover over it that makes the sound more pleasing. The new clubs sound even better than my old gamers. I love the way these clubs feel not only on well stuck shots, but on my many, many miss hits as well.

Distance: Without a doubt in my mind the longest club I have ever hit, much less owned. I picked up 14 yards which for a shorter hitter like myself is huge. On one particular shot during the Saturday round I pulled a PW when I usually would have hit a hard 9 (115 to the pin) and the PW landed on the green and ran out to a more than acceptable distance. I am not one that can stop the ball real well on approach shots so to find the ball not only held the green, but left me a make able putt was very encouraging. I have heard some of talk about the length and lie of the clubs being essentially a club less than the number imprinted on them (IE the 7 SpeedBlade iron is the same length of an old 6), but I measured the 7 in both my TM sets and they were the same size to the naked eye. No noticeable difference at all. The 7 in this set is shorter than the 6 in my old set as well so the distance I was getting isn't because of a change in length of the club.

Forgiveness: I was swinging so poorly that the clubs would have had to swing themselves for there to be any chance of being solidly struck. With that said, I thought they did a great job of managing with my miss hits. I have a really bad tendency to leave the face open at impact so to account for this I tend to close the face up on the club at address just a bit. Well, being so tired I forgot to do this most time and despite the tendency to have the face open I had very few slices on the irons (driver and 3 wood was a different story). On the times I did close the face up a bit I still didn't find the the ball going to far left which to me is another sign to me of forgiveness.

Out of the rough: I wish I could say that the SpeedBlades performed great for me in this regard, but it is to early to say at this point. Not that I wasn't in the rough a lot, because that is where I spent most of the time playing from. The rough on the international was very thick, high and brutal in my opinion. Not where a high handicapper wants to play from. I have never been a good rough player and being so exhausted I rarely put a good swing on the ball while I was in the junk. I did have some pretty good results early on in the 1st round while playing the National Course though. I will be playing again this Thursday so hopefully I will have better feedback to offer at that point.

Ball Flight: The Burner HT's were designed to launch high (hence the HT - High Trajectory) and on the shots that were struck solidly with the SpeedBlades I thought that flight was similar. I would need more time on the range to compare the two for actually differences to my eye. As I said earlier, the balls tended to land softer for me regardless of the trajectory and I love that about these clubs.

Over all impression after a two rounds: They are longer and more forgiving than my old set without a doubt. I really am looking forward to getting back on the course and getting more info to share.

Last edited:
@ Hacking - what club did you do the fitting with?

Back