TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

I hit the 6i again today, but with a stiff shaft.

About 5 yards farther than my VR pros.

I hit the 6i again today, but with a stiff shaft.

About 5 yards farther than my VR pros.

They're calling. And like I have said before. The distance is great and all, but the forgiveness is really what has impressed me.

They're calling. And like I have said before. The distance is great and all, but the forgiveness is really what has impressed me.

You're not joking. Super forgiving. I really do like them. Right now, second favorite new iron out.

Awesome, good to see others getting similar results. How did you like the forgiveness in the SpeedBlades compared to your previous irons?

No comparison in forgiveness...the Rocketblades Tour had almost no forgiveness when they are mis-hit. Mis-hits with these still hold the line and go quite aways.

Very nice! Awesome write up man. Are you seeing a good distance gap between the 7 and 8? That was a major concern of mine but I haven't seen a huge difference thus far.

You are right, I am not seeing a very big gap between the 7 & 8. The set gaps themselves pretty well IMO. There is still more time to spend with these clubs though.

I have followed this thread, and the original testing thread very closely. Now, thanks to the State of Alaska and the permanent fund dividend, I have a 4i-AW plus a sand wedge on the way. Looking forward to getting these clubs, and taking them on the road a few times this winter.

Tapatalking on my iPad

Ready to rock the new Speedbladez today

urabutuh.jpg

I was able to get in a round at TPC Sugarloaf yesterday. That course always kicks my butt. Then again most courses kick my butt. Anyway, there were several highlights using the Speedblades. I continue to be amazed how well my shots are holding the greens. Just to reiterate, I have never been able to keep the ball on the green on clubs higher than a pitching wedge and even struggled with the PW a lot of the times. There were many shots from my 6 iron through the PW that I hit into the greens and I don't think that I had a single one run off. Only one shot shot with the 7 iron out of the rough ran any considerable distances and that was on one of the greens that had been punched recently so that may have played into the roll out. Those greens were funky to say the least. That particular shot landed pin high and ran out about 30 feet. I play with one of the guys a good bit and he was really impressed with how well I (actually the SpeedBlades) held the greens. He really liked the launch of the clubs. Both of the guys I played with tried several of the clubs and loved everything about them. One of them is in serious ponder mode about purchasing the set. He is certainly gonna go try them, maybe even this weekend.

The rough at Sugarloaf is brutally and I wish I could say I got out of it every time with the SpeedBlades, but that wasn't the case. There isn't a club made that could have gotten me out of some of the deep stuff. A shovel might could, but that would be it. With that said there were several that I was able to get a good swing on and the results were awesome. There are shots that I will try with these clubs out of the rough that I wouldn't try with my old irons.

I am still struggling with lifting my upper body up on my swings and as a result I had a lof of chunks. Those swings I just have to throw out and not consider when I think back to my rounds. The Speedblades are truly forgiving on my swings that are even remotely proper. I very rarely lose the ball right anymore which is a great feeling. I have lost a few left, but I believe that is more due to a lapse in focus and closing the face at address and not a reflection of the clubs. I continue to be amazed at the carry and distance I am getting on decent to well struck balls. Nothing is going help when I hit 6 inches behind the ball, but these clubs are more forgiving that anything I have ever swung before and I could not be more pleased with the performance. If you are in the market for new clubs the SpeedBlades HAVE to be at the top of your list.

I am suppose to play in a scramble on Saturday and while I won't be able to put the clubs through the normal rounds paces, I will still provide my thoughts on the clubs performance.

Last edited:
Awesome NoLine!!! Look forward to hearing your feedback from today's round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like these. They are a consistent and, at least, half club longer than the JPX EZ I compared them to. The feel and sound was awesome. With all the numerous comments of the ill sounding Rocketbladez, which I agree with, these are definitely a refreshing change. Comparitively between the two irons, the Speedblade has a thicker top, sole and stronger lofts. Though, the launch between the two irons were very similar with the Speedblade edging out the JPX with higher ball speeds. I don't have spin numbers from my demoing.

The reason I chose the JPX EZ to compare with is the stock shaft. The Speedblade come stock with a 85g steel shaft, while the JPX EZ come stock with the TT S300 at closer to 120-130g. The shot dispersion showed that I was much more successful hitting tight shots with the JPX. The scatter shots I hit with the Speedblade definitely showed that I still struggle with the ultra lightweight trend we're seeing and I found it challenging to keep my clubhead from opening at impact. In the end it just came down to tempo and this may be something that will take time to get used to. Anyone else having these adjustment or growing pains?

The AW is the real deal - amazing control and spin.
Agree 100%. I've rethought my whole wedge setup around keeping this awesome wedge in the bag.

I'm a bit addicted to these right now, I've gotten a little quiet in here for a couple of reasons. Mainly though, I know some seem to make judgements on people having large amounts of early excitement as just being part of a hype machine, thats not at all how I operate contrary to their beliefs, because of that I'm trying to get multiple rounds in and let it all sink in. After today, I will have 5 rounds with the SpeedBlade and CTL combo and you can bet that I'll be letting it rip in here.

I want to go out and hit these every day, that in and of itself says a lot for me.

I'm a bit addicted to these right now, I've gotten a little quiet in here for a couple of reasons. Mainly though, I know some seem to make judgements on people having large amounts of early excitement as just being part of a hype machine, thats not at all how I operate contrary to their beliefs, because of that I'm trying to get multiple rounds in and let it all sink in. After today, I will have 5 rounds with the SpeedBlade and CTL combo and you can bet that I'll be letting it rip in here.

I want to go out and hit these every day, that in and of itself says a lot for me.

I am really looking forward to your thoughts. The look is very appealing and considering your love for your Altitudes, I am thinking your setup with the CTL would be a phenomenal set to consider.

I really like these. They are a consistent and, at least, half club longer than the JPX EZ I compared them to. The feel and sound was awesome. With all the numerous comments of the ill sounding Rocketbladez, which I agree with, these are definitely a refreshing change. Comparitively between the two irons, the Speedblade has a thicker top, sole and stronger lofts. Though, the launch between the two irons were very similar with the Speedblade edging out the JPX with higher ball speeds. I don't have spin numbers from my demoing.

The reason I chose the JPX EZ to compare with is the stock shaft. The Speedblade come stock with a 85g steel shaft, while the JPX EZ come stock with the TT S300 at closer to 120-130g. The shot dispersion showed that I was much more successful hitting tight shots with the JPX. The scatter shots I hit with the Speedblade definitely showed that I still struggle with the ultra lightweight trend we're seeing and I found it challenging to keep my clubhead from opening at impact. In the end it just came down to tempo and this may be something that will take time to get used to. Anyone else having these adjustment or growing pains?

Please do not take this the wrong way, but what you are experiencing is one of the things a proper fitting would eliminate. Fitting carts for both :mizuno: and :taylormade: have many shaft model, weight and flex options. If you find you do better with >110g shafts, you can try the SpeedBlade in one of those shaft models (or lighter of you prefer).

What I will say, though, is that you are not alone. More people than not are sensitive to shaft/swing weight changes

Last edited:
Please do not take this the wrong way, but what you are experiencing is one of the things a proper fitting would eliminate. Fitting carts for both :mizuno: and :taylormade: have many shaft model, weight and flex options. If you find you do better with >110g shafts, you can try the SpeedBlade in one of those shaft models (or lighter of you prefer).

What I will say, though, is that you are not alone. More people than not are sensitive to shaft/swing weight changes.

Huh???

Tried to hit these at the store today but no love for us lefties.

They didnt look as big and bulky in person as I thought they were going to.

What's your opinion of G25 vs. Speedblade as a whole?

I'm mid round with them and they are incredibly forgiving and long. The G25's are silly easy to hit but these make them play like muscle backs.

Really enjoying the 4 iron - easiest I've ever hit.

The AW is the real deal - amazing control and spin.

Amen to that. The Awesome Wedge is awesome!

Tried to hit these at the store today but no love for us lefties.

They didnt look as big and bulky in person as I thought they were going to.

Matt, where do you live? I am going to be in North Carolina early November, so if you haven't been able to hit them yet - I will find you.

Trust me there is much love for the lefties by Taylormade.

Matt, where do you live? I am going to be in North Carolina early November, so if you haven't been able to hit them yet - I will find you.

Trust me there is much love for the lefties by Taylormade.

Ha! I'm in Raleigh.

I know they will be coming eventually. Took a couple weeks for the lefty SLDR to make its way out but it eventually did. Was surprised to see them at all....just happened to go on "launch day."

Back