Equipment Changes - 2014 Morgan Cup

I dont think you are being negative. Nothing wrong with your thoughts. Its why I mentioned what I did about it not fitting everybody and there are so many other great events.
I remember the announcement of the (then) new requirements for posting, etc., and having to make the honest assessment that the MC just wasn't in the cards for me.

One thing I take away from that is to remember that the MC will change again next year, as will our individual circumstances, and the MC can cycle back into our comfort zone and become something we can do again.

Just didn't wanna come across the wrong way. Still gonna be an amazing event and one anyone will be lucky to get into. I know I'll enjoy supporting it again like I have in the past.

I want to see you in it dude or at least attempting to get in. You were such a huge part of last years event in so many ways. I'm going to make it my personal mission to get you to change your mind. I remember sitting on the range watching you go through your pelz short game distances with your range finder and thinking to myself "man, that dude puts his EVERYTHING into golf" I was so impressed at your focus and work ethic. I can't even hit 5 balls without getting distracted or opening my dumb mouth to talk to someone and here you are taking NOTES about yardages and distances! Don't make your mind up yet bro. I want you in this thing.

that's thought too. Plus there really is going to be no advantage for anyone. Everyone is going to have to deal with the same situation. I know if I were going to be in in the 2014 MC I would take Friday and spend as much time as I possibly could to get comfortable with my gear. By Saturday I think I would be ready to go.

I know you would be ready to go bro. #teamgotime haha

I want to see you in it dude or at least attempting to get in. You were such a huge part of last years event in so many ways. I'm going to make it my personal mission to get you to change your mind. I remember sitting on the range watching you go through your pelz short game distances with your range finder and thinking to myself "man, that dude puts his EVERYTHING into golf" I was so impressed at your focus and work ethic. I can't even hit 5 balls without getting distracted or opening my dumb mouth to talk to someone and here you are taking NOTES about yardages and distances! Don't make your mind up yet bro. I want you in this thing.

Thanks Tim that means a lot. Plenty of more news and announcements to come and this event is still so much more than equipment. Tough call with so many great events in 2014.

Im excited for this change as it now makes an already exciting weekend even that much more exciting. Walking up to the range and seeing your staff bag from a distance filled with un-touched clubs will be like Christmas morning.

I understand concerns about "dialing" clubs in, but in reality after some time on the range and some time on the course, one should have a pretty good idea how things stand.

Perfect example for me that it is impossible to please everybody. If this is how THP and the sponsors want it, then so be it. It may stop somebody from shooting low scores, but the MC isn't about low scores. At least I didn't think it was. Who knows, I have not been in one, so I don't know how much weight my opinion carries.

Best part, lots of options for events on THP.

Like the change and sets up for a true media sponsor day event. Being handed that bag and equipment would be like hearing your name called on draft day.

Endless smiles!

:thumbup: on the change.

JB...anymore annoucements today??? Productivity at work is at an all time low this morning. :D

Interesting change for sure. Everyone will be SO excited to get in with their new gear, but it will definitely make adjusting to the new gear much more urgent. I do think it will make range time on Friday very focused, which will surely be a good thing.

If you give your correct specs to your tour rep the gear will be set when it arrives. It should take that long to figure out what the gear can do. I know some will disagree with me 110% on this but if you don't have your swing when you arrive, you ain't finding it that weekend.
The gear isn't going to be a drastic change or departure from the gear in peoples bags. Out side of sharper grooves and hit faces everything thing should be the same. Provided you stick with what you know and don't take this as an opportunity get an exotic bag of gear.

If you give your correct specs to your tour rep the gear will be set when it arrives. It should take that long to figure out what the gear can do. I know some will disagree with me 110% on this but if you don't have your swing when you arrive, you ain't finding it that weekend.
The gear isn't going to be a drastic change or departure from the gear in peoples bags. Out side of sharper grooves and hit faces everything thing should be the same. Provided you stick with what you know and don't take this as an opportunity get an exotic bag of gear.
It is going to bring some interesting choices - stay closer to stock offerings or go with special things to fit a particular profile.

I like this a lot. I think it will add to everyone's excitement talking about their new gear on media day, and every single person will be on the same page as far as practice and experience with their clubs. Great move!

Absolutely agree. Its not like a new set od clubs is going to drastically change your game.

I recently purchased a new set of clubs and played a round without any changes minus being a little longer.

Nothing that a range session won't cure.

It is going to bring some interesting choices - stay closer to stock offerings or go with special things to fit a particular profile.

I don't think so, I expect the same thing we have seen in the past MC. People will choose what they want based on choice they have. Most won't get fit, I hope this isn't the case. And the weekend, as far as gear is concerned, will be what it will be.

I think watching the coverage will put a great deal in perspective. I mean really watch the coverage and listen to the coverage. It will all be clear.

Freddie that's exactly my thought when I posted earlier. That you will have to "dance with the one (swing) that brung you" that weekend regardless of clubs he club.

To me the best part of the weekend would be the camaraderie of all the THP'ers and just getting to meet and learn from the Sponsors.

Plenty of time to dial in and get used to the new equipment when you get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Freddie makes a great point. Get fit and the staffer wont have to worry about it. Shoot, you get the opportunity to get a CUSTOM set of clubs, most people never get the chance to do that because of time, finances, whatever. But with a full 14 club deal why not go spend $150 to get fit, then you will know the equipment will work for you.

For me, it tells me I better be very serious about fitting. A good example was my shaft screw up in the 588 CB irons. I went internet golfer there and was able to correct it ahead of time. Not having that option this time means I need to avoid guessing or talking myself into something I'm not really suited for. I'm a proponent of going with a set up that you know works after my first trip to the MC. It's not the time for big changes imo, though the allure is there to make it attractive.

I don't think so, I expect the same thing we have seen in the past MC. People will choose what they want based on choice they have. Most won't get fit, I hope this isn't the case. And the weekend, as far as gear is concerned, will be what it will be.

I think watching the coverage will put a great deal in perspective. I mean really watch the coverage and listen to the coverage. It will all be clear.

Yep. I have watched all the coverage (more than once) and definitely understand it isn't about the equipment. I hope that isn't the impression left by my posts.

Very true Freddie. I don't think of this as a bad thing in any way, to be clear - I think it's gonna amp people up like crazy on Friday! I like to keep it simple anyways, so if it were me I wouldn't change a whole lot even if I had a lot of time to prepare, outside of making sure I have the perfect shaft fit.

I like the change. It's inevitable that the gear will get a lot of attention, and this moves that focus to during the event (and hopefully after as continued followup) instead of in the weeks and months leading up to the event.

I'm speculating that the impressions and feedback will be brand new and act as a kick off rather than as a conclusion.

The Morgan Cup is one of the premier events THP hosts each year. Golfers from all over the world, getting to be tour players by having a sponsorship with a major equipment company (executed by THP) culminating in a weekend in Myrtle Beach at two amazing golf courses. What does being a tour player mean? 14 club deal, staff bag, apparel scripting, accessories, golf ball and much more.

Over the past 3 years, the Morgan Cup has taken on a life of its own. Forum members have been selected a myriad of ways for the event and once selected the tour treatment begins. None of that is going to change. The sponsorship is the same, what is included will be the same if not better and THPers are in for an amazing journey.

What will be changing is the timing of each participant receiving the goods associated with the event. A little while ago, THP announced that media day for the event was being changed to Staff Sponsor Day and one of the reasons for that change was as a lead in to the new way each player will receive their goods.

Participants will now be receiving their staff bag and equipment at Staff Sponsor Day. It will be a grand spectacle and something that we believe everybody will enjoy being a part of. This was done for a myriad of reasons including making sure that the Morgan Cup participants will have the latest and greatest in their bags as they get ready to compete.

This is awesome news and a continuation of the evolution of this event!

Thanks for the news!

JM

Interesting change, that adds a small rinkle into the event as well. I do like the fact we will be playing the latest and greatest and that will be awesome. On the flip side, though the clubs will be fitted to us, some us won't have hit the equipment until then...and that's the wrinkle.
I love it though...gonna make for an even better day. Let's do this.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Not having taken part in the past Morgan Cups, I can't say whether the change is good or bad. If the equipment companies want it, then I think it is a good thing. It will definitely be like Christmas morning when going to media day. Minus the ugly sweaters.

Interesting change, that adds a small rinkle into the event as well. I do like the fact we will be playing the latest and greatest and that will be awesome. On the flip side, though the clubs will be fitted to us, some us won't have hit the equipment until then...and that's the wrinkle.
I love it though...gonna make for an even better day. Let's do this.

Sent from my S3 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
It's easy-- If you dont like how the format is, dont sign up.

I know for me, the MC is more than just about when and where I get some golf clubs. It's about so much more than that. If people think this is an issue, then I can tell you right now the MC is not for them.

It's easy-- If you dont like how the format is, dont sign up.

I know for me, the MC is more than just about when and where I get some golf clubs. It's about so much more than that. If people think this is an issue, then I can tell you right now the MC is not for them.
I've always said I would play this event again with my own sticks. It was just that special.

I don't think we will see a huge difference in scoring TBH. We saw some incredible golf played this year by EVERYONE. From the 2 to the 18's. There is something about this event that just makes you BETTER at EVERYTHING. Guys coulda been playing King Cobra Drivers, Callaway Big Bertha's, Bridgestone J33's and still put up the scores that they did. If you have worked on your game all through the year, it will show.

I am so pumped for next year's event.

As I stated on a previous thread - I don't care if Warrior Golf was my sponsor and Loudmouth was my clothing sponsor. I want to be part of this event for the EXPERIENCE.

Back