Cleveland Smart-Square Putter Review

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
FRONTPAGE REVIEW IS UP HERE: http://bit.ly/1gUBVp8

For the past week Cleveland Golf has been teasing the release of a new product. Throughout this they have notably been using symbols in order to convey a message, to many the message was immediately clear, to others it has been a point of much discussion. Squares are greater than circles? What could it possibly be? Well, today Cleveland put this product live on their website for all to see and THP has been fortunate enough to have one in hand for a while now getting to know it. Without further ado....

The new Cleveland Smart Square putter.

SS_message-L.png

As you can see above, a little bit of information makes all of the symbols and teases we have seen in the previous week instantly as clear as can be. With the Smart Square putter Cleveland believes that they have essentially taken an incredibly popular putter alignment method that was nothing short of revolutionary and improved it all around. Quite the claim to be sure, but before we get into that any further, lets take a look at what Cleveland has to say about the Smart Square putter:

Two squares are better than two circles. Discover easier, more consistent alignment and incredible confidence on the green.

Dual Axis Alignment:

Two parallel lines extend from the center of the face to frame the ball perfectly down the line, and two perpendicular lines offer instant feedback when the putter is mis-aligned at address. The result is faster, more reliable alignment on every putt.

Consistent Roll:

Copolymer face insert enhances feel and sound at impact and promotes a consistent roll for more predictable distance control.

High MOI Design:

Advanced head design maximizes Moment of Inertia for minimal distance loss on off-center hits.

Options for Different Strokes:

Traditional lengths (33” – 35”) are available in both heel- and center-shafted models. A 39-inch Almost Belly model features a 400-gram head (40 grams heavier than standard) and oversize 158-gram grip (2.5 times heavier than standard) for counter-balanced weighting, which adds stability and consistency to your stroke without anchoring.
Screenshot_16-L.jpg

In Hand Pictures:
DSC_0667-L.jpg

DSC_0675-L.jpg

DSC_0680-L.jpg

DSC_0677-L.jpg

DSC_0679-L.jpg

DSC_0681-L.jpg

DSC_0682-L.jpg

DSC_0683-L.jpg

As mentioned earlier, THP was fortunate enough to get this one in hand early and I have actually had it out on the course for four rounds now putting it through its paces. There will undoubtedly be a lot of thoughts and opinions on this one and this thread will serve as a place for those as well as for me to track my thoughts as I review this new offering from Cleveland.
The Smart Square in standard length has an MSRP of 139.99 and in the Almost Belly model its MSRP is 179.99

As always, if you have any questions please feel free to ask them and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Last edited:
  • Staff
FRONTPAGE REVIEW IS UP HERE: http://bit.ly/1gUBVp8

So, as mentioned in the initial post THP received the new Cleveland Smart Square putter in for review and for the past week I’ve had it out and about on the course in order to put it through its paces.

For review I received the Cleveland Smart Square heel-shafted model at 35”.

I’ve definitely got a lot of initial thoughts rolling around in my head and because of that I think it will be easiest to categorize things a little bit.

FIRST AND FOREMOST:

Okay, let’s get this out of the way right now, it is completely and entirely evident that the basis to the alignment system used in the Smart Square putter is that of the 2-ball. The thing to keep in mind for EVERYONE before they start ranting and raving about rip-offs and such is that Cleveland has flat out acknowledged the historical significance of the 2-ball and just how revolutionary its alignment system was/is.
Think about that for a second, seriously think about it rather than knee jerk reacting, in my opinion it’s absolutely brilliant.
Essentially Cleveland has come out and embraced the significance of something that they truly believe that they have improved on rather than just copied and pasted. Clearly the proof of something like that is in the pudding and actually putting the putter through its paces, but it’s certainly food for thought for everyone IMO.

Appearance:

I’m not a traditional mallet user, but I can say that the overall shape and finish of the Smart Square is a pretty pleasant one for me. Cleveland has always done a great job aesthetically with their putter lines by putting forth simple and clean headshapes/finishes/etc (the only exception for me is the “face milled” engraving of recent models on their faces, but that’s just me) and this one honestly is not any different there.
Although there is definitely some 2-ball esque tendencies there within the putters shape, I really think that a large majority of the shape (not alignment) draws from the Never Compromised Sub30 putter head. Its a high MOI mallet without feeling or looking like a monstrosity, it’s a very fine line to walk with any mallet putter.

Insert:

I’m a milled face guy in putters solely because I’m a big believer in sound being feel with putters and traditionally inserts have been too muted for me and lead to the feeling of being overly soft. So far with the Smart Square the insert has been interesting for me. The roll off of the face is pure without any skidding in four rounds with the putter, but it is definitely a touch on the more firm side as far as inserts are concerned. Not to say that its harsh or anything, there is just more audible feedback there than I expected, more focus will be spent here for sure before I wager any type of conclusive feelings on it.

Alignment:

To claim that you have taken the principles of a putter alignment system that did nothing short of rattle the foundations of what putters could do and how they could look doing it is a BIG claim. The 2-ball has been one of THE most successful heads/alignments around for a very long time now and shows no signs of letting up. Big talk here.
The dangdest thing here though, the hollow squares work as more than just a basic alignment method that you get with the circles. The width of the squares frame the ball perfectly and the combination of lines parallel to the face as well as down the line to the target give an impressively clean alignment visual. The most impressive thing to me so far with it though however is that because the squares are hollow you also get a reminder as to your face angle, you can tell instantly at address if the face angle is open or closed (eerily effective for me, and coming from the putters I typically game, that is saying something), I really do not think it would be as effective if the squares were solid.

Early Thoughts:

I was a BIG pessimist when I first heard about the idea and saw the press materials as I’ve been a big voice in the same designs being used by everyone and there being a lack of creativity out there in putters now. Well, the Smart Square has figured out how to be both of those things at the same time. I did not expect that at all.

I’ll admit the initial time with the putter has been positive, it really has been. Having actually gotten to use the putter I now see why Cleveland came out and sort of went on the offensive the way they did, it may be early but this one certainly does NOT deserve to be written off as just another copycat 2-ball, because honestly, it is but is also is not at all. How’s that for confusing?

As always, if there are questions please let them rip and I’ll get you answers as best I can, the same goes with anyone wanting more pic’s/etc.

Last edited:
Ooooh, intrigued, can understand the thinking behind it, looking forward to hitting it.

Last edited:
whoa nice pictures James! How did the weighting feel on this?

I'm not impressed, it's fine to use a proven design with slight changes, but don't try to pass it off as an all new innovative design.

Sweet! I cant believe I actually called that one, that was my first thought when I saw that photo and mentioned it in the teaser forum. I think this could be a very good idea because the lines will help more with alignment. I'll be interested to hear more!

I never even think of Cleveland for putters, but I'd definitely give this a roll! Not traditionally a large mallet guy, but looks intriguing.

I bet that putter won't twist at all on contact. I hope they get the word out so more people can try it.

I'm not so sure how I feel about this one. Guess I'd take a look at it, but I was never a fan of the two ball either.

Well, as Huey Lewis said, It's Hip to Be Square...

whoa nice pictures James! How did the weighting feel on this?

As I get more used to being back to a "normal" weighted head form my counter-balanced, quite nice actually. No issues at all through the stroke as far as weight is concerned.

I'm not impressed, it's fine to use a proven design with slight changes, but don't try to pass it off as an all new innovative design.

Wake, at no point are they passing it off as all new innovation, they have flat out said they took the basis of the 2-ball alignment system and, in their opinion, improved it. Theres no sneaky to it, as I mentioned in the two posts. I think there is something to be said for that in today's market myself.

once I finish laughing at all the marketing hyperbole, I'll be dying to give these a roll.

Kinda looks like solar panels on top of it.

Not my kind of putter (neither is the 2-ball) but I can see it being stupidly easy to line up.

Almost belly? Heck yes

These pics definitely gave me a better feel for the putter than the video.

Loving the early thoughts on the face parallel squares to help with alignment. Being a SeeMore guy, I need the help aligning and hearing the early thoughts makes me happy as the 2 ball alignment never did anything for me.

As far as the whole "knock off" thing, if Cleveland is truly embracing it and acknowledging how revolutionary the 2 ball was then that's great. But if it's a basic "copy plus put our own flare on it" then I would feel differently.

Simply said, their first advertisement was a big claim given the love of the 2 ball.

Sheep, lamb, etc. hahahahaha. Golf marketing! I will say this: I'm glad to see Cleveland getting what I will aggressive with their marketing and I HOPE it carries over with other clubs as they have some tremendous offerings that few know about in the big picture.

As always, some great pictures and thoughts James. You'd think you'd done this before :)

I get the concept and I think it could work well for some people. You get the two shape thing, but with the added benefit of some square lines for alignment. Another positive is the option to extend and counterbalance. That said, I will say that I don't have much interest in it for my needs. Double bend mallets just aren't what trips my trigger and I greatly prefer a single line.

I am all for companies trying to improve on designs already out there. This is not my cup of tea but kudos to Cleveland for trying their hand at one of the most revolutionary putter types in recent memory.

The alignment appeals to me, as I always vision a straight path to the hole with the entire width of the putter face anyways, which is more of a rectangular/square line, instead of the path of the ball actually rolling that the 2 ball seems to promote.

My thinking is the more alignment aids out there, the better for us to figure out which one is the best for us. This one is different than what's out there now and will appeal to a good number of folks.

When I heard about this I was skeptical. When the early marketing began I was still skeptical. I like that Cleveland has gone out of their way to say they worked on improving a design rather than claiming it as "from scratch". Its refreshing in a way.

I have had one for a couple of weeks now and for me, I really like it. I dont love the insert, but those that know me know that if I am going insert, I like the very soft versions that are almost mushy, but I think most people will like the insert here.

The alignment makes sense and when you set up over the ball, it makes even more sense. The lines frame the ball and do it very well. I found myself really enjoying the stroke and when you can eliminate alignment, it is one more way to make more putts.

While I won't pass final judgement on it until I see it in my own hand, I actually think it looks pretty ugly. Now saying that, I care next to nothing about looks in my golf equipment (though I still say the Covert red is dead sexy). So if I read a ton of reviews saying it helps, and I get it in hand and try it and it seems to make a big difference, I'd be more than happy to game it. Interesting early thoughts for sure. My only worry for my game is that I've gotten extremely used to having a line in the middle of my putter that I line up with the line on my ball while putting. I might not be able to change very easily. Maybe an 8 square or 4 rectangle where they put a line down the centre too as an option?

So let's get this straight here.

Copy 2ball
Add corners
Acknowledge 2ball so it's not a copy
Claim Square Square > OO

I'm not into it. Looks decent enough though.

TTing

Well they made an interesting looking putter. I know I don't care what my putter looks like which I got a Nike Oz 6 and have been told its a alien. But this looks like a good one and maybe something I might be interested in. And Jman what did you think of the weight of this? More on the heavier side or not?

As you say, this is very obviously a variation on the 2-ball putter, which I have tried and personally was not a fan of it, but the alignment lines on this one probably suits my eye better so I will be keeping a watch of this thread I reckon

As I get more used to being back to a "normal" weighted head form my counter-balanced, quite nice actually. No issues at all through the stroke as far as weight is concerned.

Wake, at no point are they passing it off as all new innovation, they have flat out said they took the basis of the 2-ball alignment system and, in their opinion, improved it. Theres no sneaky to it, as I mentioned in the two posts. I think there is something to be said for that in today's market myself.

I just didn't care for the initial marketing

I like the looks of it. I will definitely give this one a try.

Back