The Incredible Minivan Thread

I have a 2013 apart in the shop as we speak. Granted it has 113k on it as its a fleet vehicle but this will be the third time this has been done. (Other two under warranty by dealer)

Is that pretty common? Most problems on fleet vehicles? I have had a few family member with Town and Country's and haven't had much problems. Just the normal things that come with wear and tear.

Just think how cool you'd look rolling up to Jordan-Hare for tailgating in a minivan...you'd be the talk of the parking lot.
No doubt, dude. I can handle that.

I know the Odysseys in the 2009ish range had serious transmission issues but I believe those have been resolved. They are both great products and the cost of ownership is typical Toyota/Honda. Yes it's gonna cost you more up front but the ROI far exceeds anything else in the class.

Stay away from the Caravans and the Quests.

I've got a 2008 Odyssey and the issue involved the transmission as well as the whole drive train. Honda replaced the drive train on our Odyssey at no cost. Have had no issues since.

We've loved having our Odyssey, lots of miles on road trips with the kids. My daughter did competition cheerleading for 4 years and we've driven all over the south with ours.

Mini vans and movember do not go together. Be careful of where you park.

Is that pretty common? Most problems on fleet vehicles? I have had a few family member with Town and Country's and haven't had much problems. Just the normal things that come with wear and tear.

Nope its common on all of them.

I hope there's never a point in my life where I have to consider buying a mini van. Or an SUV. Or a truck. Or an automatic.

GD, for what its worth, Mopar is owned I believe by a Canadian private equity firm. Odysseys are built in Alabama iirc. My boss had an 09 Odyssey with 60k on it and still got over 18k trade in on it. They retain value and resale better than just about any minivan out there. Now if you wanting to by a domestic nameplate minivan, than the Town and Country/Caravan is pretty much your only option and I can completely understand that given your employer.

GD, for what its worth, Mopar is owned I believe by a Canadian private equity firm. Odysseys are built in Alabama iirc. My boss had an 09 Odyssey with 60k on it and still got over 18k trade in on it. They retain value and resale better than just about any minivan out there. Now if you wanting to by a domestic nameplate minivan, than the Town and Country/Caravan is pretty much your only option and I can completely understand that given your employer.

Playdough,
I believe if GregDan showed up to work in a Honda, the van would be flipped over literally. We spoke about it at a THP event. As crazy as it sounds, I understand it. To relate it to golf, it would be like the R&D team from Callaway showing up to their weekly company round playing TaylorMade clubs.

Yeah, when it comes to minivans my hands are pretty much tied. Not sure any Vans are UAW. I know there are some Toyota cars out there that are UAW and that's mainly the big thing. I know the Odysseys and Siennas are pretty good but seeing as they aren't union it wouldn't go over well.

Nope its common on all of them.

Sucks to hear that. Might have to look at other options or just roll the dice I guess.

You keep beating me to all my responses JB. Haha

You keep beating me to all my responses JB. Haha

Sorry about that, all this minivan talk just has me excited I guess...haha.

Sorry about that, all this minivan talk just has me excited I guess...haha.

No worries.

Never thought you would ever say you are excited to talk about minivans though, am I right?

This thread had me confused with the banter thread.... Non-sense.

Just kidding,

Even though I will never own a minivan, the slide out back doors make them worth it for kids. Otherwise a SUV can accomplish everything else that is needed.

This thread had me confused with the banter thread.... Non-sense.

Just kidding,

Even though I will never own a minivan, the slide out back doors make them worth it for kids. Otherwise a SUV can accomplish everything else that is needed.

You got it man. Kids usually are the deciding factor whether to go SUV or minivan.

I have the kids to make me ponder minivans.

Playdough,
I believe if GregDan showed up to work in a Honda, the van would be flipped over literally. We spoke about it at a THP event. As crazy as it sounds, I understand it. To relate it to golf, it would be like the R&D team from Callaway showing up to their weekly company round playing TaylorMade clubs.

Yeah, when it comes to minivans my hands are pretty much tied. Not sure any Vans are UAW. I know there are some Toyota cars out there that are UAW and that's mainly the big thing. I know the Odysseys and Siennas are pretty good but seeing as they aren't union it wouldn't go over well.

I don't know of any. I'm pretty sure the Tundra and maybe the Camry built in Lafyette are the only union built foreign nameplates. Having a few family members who retired at GM and an uncle that works at Ft Wayne I completely understand. Its crazy, but I 100% agree with it the van being on its top in dumpster if drove to a uaw plant.

With just one kid and a large SUV, every time we load that thing I wish it was a minivan. My wife would never go for it though as hard as I may try. My mom who is on the shorter side can't even put our daughter into her carseat because it is too high off the ground.

Given the choices I would go Odysessy my sister and sister in law both have one and haven't had any issues with them.

No worries.

Never thought you would ever say you are excited to talk about minivans though, am I right?

I didn't know ANYONE was excited about them, I thought they were necessary evils.

I don't know of any. I'm pretty sure the Tundra and maybe the Camry built in Lafyette are the only union built foreign nameplates. Having a few family members who retired at GM and an uncle that works at Ft Wayne I completely understand. Its crazy, but I 100% agree with it the van being on its top in dumpster if drove to a uaw plant.

Yes it is crazy but to go through everything we have it's a necessity to support the things we have built over the last century. While things aren't great right now we are starting to gain things back again.

I digress though. It's really crazy how well these vans retain their value. It's hard to find a good vehicle with low miles at an affordable price. And now JRod has me even more leery. Haha

I didn't know ANYONE was excited about them, I thought they were necessary evils.

They certainly can be. But I really don't understand the stigma put in them. Sure soccer moms drive them around with the kiddos but what makes them any worse than driving a Prius around town?

Is there really a minivan thread going on JB? Comon man you need to have a Suv man. I could never imagine driving a minivan with what ever options its got in it. Already got the wife not wanting one when we have kids so all is good here.

They certainly can be. But I really don't understand the stigma put in them. Sure soccer moms drive them around with the kiddos but what makes them any worse than driving a Prius around town?

They are twice the size of a Prius, and most people don't need all of that room in a vehicle anyways. But I'm guessing I'm in the minority that feels that way.

Back