TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Interesting thoughts on the swing hard, go left thing Dan. I've struggled a bit with that as of late as well, but like you - spin/launch still remains very good with the stock shafts. I am always unsure about where the line is between a me issue and a shaft issue, and how big an effect it has on things like that.

Rumor has it ill get to try these out for a round this weekend...really looking forward to it.

Rumor has it ill get to try these out for a round this weekend...really looking forward to it.

Man I hope the guy who puts the groups together puts me in your group. You could even hit the SLDR a couple times too ;)

Interesting thoughts on the swing hard, go left thing Dan. I've struggled a bit with that as of late as well, but like you - spin/launch still remains very good with the stock shafts. I am always unsure about where the line is between a me issue and a shaft issue, and how big an effect it has on things like that.

I think weight and flex play a bit of a role, honestly. I hit Jman's with C-Tapers in Vegas and didn't see the same trends when getting aggressive with them.

I think weight and flex play a bit of a role, honestly. I hit Jman's with C-Tapers in Vegas and didn't see the same trends when getting aggressive with them.

That makes me want to tinker.

There will be 2 sets there (I think). Feel free!

You don't see the swing hard go left thing with your DPCs? Are flexes the same between the C-Tapers and Fuelz, so it's just a weight difference? (I've been seeing some early clues on this myself with the DPCs vs R/Bladez...you guys are way more in the know re shafts so I'm curious what you guys are seeing)

You don't see the swing hard go left thing with your DPCs? Are flexes the same between the C-Tapers and Fuelz, so it's just a weight difference? (I've been seeing some early clues on this myself with the DPCs vs R/Bladez...you guys are way more in the know re shafts so I'm curious what you guys are seeing)

Totally different shafts - I would assume the C-Tapers are substantially stiffer.

And no, I don't get that same situation with them. I believe they are a shaft that is designed to 'get after' without much problem on flight.

Totally different shafts - I would assume the C-Tapers are substantially stiffer.

And no, I don't get that same situation with them. I believe they are a shaft that is designed to 'get after' without much problem on flight.

Truly totally different, the constant taper on the Ctapers is an entirely different profile/beast than the SpeedFuel shafts for sure.

Went out to the range just to work on my swing with the SpeedBlades. The trajectory, distance and contact with the 7 iron - AW still blows my mind on how well they respond. My main goal in this session was to try to get better results with the 4 iron - 6 iron so I was hoping to report back that things were fine tuned with those irons. Not the case. The 6 was OK, but had more miss hits with them than usual for some reason. The 5 was bad and the 4 iron was awful. Now, I know without a doubt that it isn't the clubs. It is my swing. The longer the iron, the more I struggle as of late. At this point it is in my head...really, really in my head. I tried moving the ball forward in my stance. I tried choking down on the club and I tried moving further away from the ball. I am still digging turf behind the ball most of the time and making horrible contact when I manage not to hit the ground first. I did manage to hit one good shot with the 4 iron and man did that ball go. Pretty, high and really long. That just made me want to learn to hit the dang thing even more, but until I get confidence with the 4 iron (and maybe the 5) are coming out of the bag for actual rounds.

On a more positive note: There was a gentleman next to me that was playing the R11 irons and seemed to be hitting them really well. So as he was changing clubs I stuck up a conversation with him about his irons and about the my SpeedBlades. 1 1/2 years ago I never could have felt comfortable talking club aspects with someone that I didn't know, but I jumped right in with the knowledge that I have gained from being on THP. Well, he was quite interested in the SpeedBlades and I encouraged him to give them a swing. He only swung the PW and 7 iron, but he really liked everything about the clubs. We talked a bit more about them as well as The Hacker's Paradise golf forum and by the time we were finished he told me he already been considering getting new irons, but now he was pretty sure he was going to contact The Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation to see if they had them and could do a fitting. So at least something somewhat positive game out of the session. I just wish there would have been more positive info from me on the long irons.

I have been between sets in my ponder. I have been looming at these irons since release. I would agree that like many TM GI series irons, these irons boom! I compared them to many irons and the final conclusion is that I will be going with TM but with the RB tours. I thought these were an improvement over the bladez in terms of overall feel and look. Performance was pretty much the same off the monitor with the RB in terms of distance. If ordering these, I would have to get the KBS tour as they provided the best numbers. The stock set up felt too light and I was having issues coming down square because it felt like twisting. The reason I chose the tours is because they are cheaper, fit my eye more, and come stock with KBS tours. They are on avg 8 yards shorter. With apples to apples shafts. I would recommend the sb's though. Out of all the irons i hit they performed the best with mizzy 825 in second and g25 third for that type.
What I liked best is the boom off the face. I can see how one would become addicted to hitting them. For a player that wants to maximize forgiveness and distance, these would be hard to bypass.

That makes me want to tinker.

Tinkering is fun.

Dan kind of nailed it though with what I have seen from the stock shafts to the CTL's, granted, I knew that it was coming after being fit to the CTL's but to see it has been interesting. Essentially I get the same flight but with much more lateral stability for my swing and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Went out to the range just to work on my swing with the SpeedBlades. The trajectory, distance and contact with the 7 iron - AW still blows my mind on how well they respond. My main goal in this session was to try to get better results with the 4 iron - 6 iron so I was hoping to report back that things were fine tuned with those irons. Not the case. The 6 was OK, but had more miss hits with them than usual for some reason. The 5 was bad and the 4 iron was awful. Now, I know without a doubt that it isn't the clubs. It is my swing. The longer the iron, the more I struggle as of late. At this point it is in my head...really, really in my head. I tried moving the ball forward in my stance. I tried choking down on the club and I tried moving further away from the ball. I am still digging turf behind the ball most of the time and making horrible contact when I manage not to hit the ground first. I did manage to hit one good shot with the 4 iron and man did that ball go. Pretty, high and really long. That just made me want to learn to hit the dang thing even more, but until I get confidence with the 4 iron (and maybe the 5) are coming out of the bag for actual rounds.

On a more positive note: There was a gentleman next to me that was playing the R11 irons and seemed to be hitting them really well. So as he was changing clubs I stuck up a conversation with him about his irons and about the my SpeedBlades. 1 1/2 years ago I never could have felt comfortable talking club aspects with someone that I didn't know, but I jumped right in with the knowledge that I have gained from being on THP. Well, he was quite interested in the SpeedBlades and I encouraged him to give them a swing. He only swung the PW and 7 iron, but he really liked everything about the clubs. We talked a bit more about them as well as The Hacker's Paradise golf forum and by the time we were finished he told me he already been considering getting new irons, but now he was pretty sure he was going to contact The Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation to see if they had them and could do a fitting. So at least something somewhat positive game out of the session. I just wish there would have been more positive info from me on the long irons.

When I was doing my experiment with 5 golfers, these clubs and a flight scope, the instructor there gave me a drill to work on to improve my distance and accuracy in hitting the 4 iron. He placed a tee about 6 inches or so in front of the ball and told me to focus on that and pick the broken tee with the club when I hit. When I actually did it, the ball flight and distance was incredible. Now when I'm playing I keep that in my mind on those shots. I pick a blade of grass about 6" or so in front of the ball and focus on that and keeping my hands in front. My chunks are WAY down. Just a quick thought.

As far as the club, I'm having the same issue as a lot of people on here with the hook on shots that I really get after. Since I'm a high handicapper, I put this down to my technique more than anything. I'm even seeing more of a draw on my 7 - P clubs that I seldom saw with my other clubs.

All in all, I'm still really loving these clubs. The look of these clubs is awesome. The sound is addicting. The forgiveness is 2nd to none. The playability is inspiring. When it's all said and done, my next round of golf can't get here fast enough. Right now I'm still getting 2 rounds a week in, but with daylight waning I'll be limited to weekend rounds soon enough.

When I was doing my experiment with 5 golfers, these clubs and a flight scope, the instructor there gave me a drill to work on to improve my distance and accuracy in hitting the 4 iron. He placed a tee about 6 inches or so in front of the ball and told me to focus on that and pick the broken tee with the club when I hit. When I actually did it, the ball flight and distance was incredible. Now when I'm playing I keep that in my mind on those shots. I pick a blade of grass about 6" or so in front of the ball and focus on that and keeping my hands in front. My chunks are WAY down. Just a quick thought.

As far as the club, I'm having the same issue as a lot of people on here with the hook on shots that I really get after. Since I'm a high handicapper, I put this down to my technique more than anything. I'm even seeing more of a draw on my 7 - P clubs that I seldom saw with my other clubs.

All in all, I'm still really loving these clubs. The look of these clubs is awesome. The sound is addicting. The forgiveness is 2nd to none. The playability is inspiring. When it's all said and done, my next round of golf can't get here fast enough. Right now I'm still getting 2 rounds a week in, but with daylight waning I'll be limited to weekend rounds soon enough.

Thanks for the tip. I will surely try that out on the range this weekend.

Just picked up my be custom fit speed blades today, only sent the order in on Tuesday and got them today. Can't wait to try them tomorrow .

Thanks for the tip. I will surely try that out on the range this weekend.
It's a good tip, and not something easily implemented. Years of focusing on the ball, keeps my eyes creeping back to it, but when I make it a point to move my eyes forward at address, contact, ball-flight, and distance are all better.

Just picked up my be custom fit speed blades today, only sent the order in on Tuesday and got them today. Can't wait to try them tomorrow .

Good to hear! You'll love em!

Tinkering is fun.

Dan kind of nailed it though with what I have seen from the stock shafts to the CTL's, granted, I knew that it was coming after being fit to the CTL's but to see it has been interesting. Essentially I get the same flight but with much more lateral stability for my swing and that is exactly what I was looking for.

Hmmm maybe it's time to consider the CTL's.

I backed an AW 15 feet up a reasonable slope. Yeah, don't let anyone tell you these can't produce ample spin on the green.

You just have to be Canadian

First range session today with these and the SLDR today. Warmed up with the 7 iron and hit it well. Decided to hit the 3 iron next, hit everything on the heel. I thought ok, I'll hit the 5 iron awhile. Same thing, everything of the heel. I'm thinking I was trying to swing too hard. That is something that I'll do, not meaning too or really knowing that I'm doing it. Got to keep a nice tempo, easier said than done for me. First round tomorrow with these. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I've been thinking about adding the Speedblades to the bag. Posted some of my best rounds with my 2.0's (lowest being a 72, even par) but feeling like a change. The Speedblade and Apex irons have peaked my interest. I found this came across this Speedblades vs RocketBladez video this morning http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAcNxNcsWc4. Has anyone hit both the Speedblades and the Apex that can do a comparison?

Last edited:
First range session today with these and the SLDR today. Warmed up with the 7 iron and hit it well. Decided to hit the 3 iron next, hit everything on the heel. I thought ok, I'll hit the 5 iron awhile. Same thing, everything of the heel. I'm thinking I was trying to swing too hard. That is something that I'll do, not meaning too or really knowing that I'm doing it. Got to keep a nice tempo, easier said than done for me. First round tomorrow with these. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Down and through dude, let the clubs work!

Looking forward to your thoughts!!!

just curious....has anyone played the Rocketbladez MAX and compared them to the new SpeedBlade? if so, would like to hear your thoughts on which you prefer....thanks

Back