Bunker Preference

Soft and fluffy, all day, let me splash it out.

However, I would just love consistency. The courses I play the sand varies from course to course so much that it takes a bit to adjust.

I agree here to. The courses around me seam to all use different types of sand.

Let us assume for a second that you were able to decide what bunkers would be at your home course based on your personal preference. This is pertaining to green side bunkers only.

Do you prefer soft and fluffy or damp and hard?

My home course has none, so I vote NONE! Soft & fluffy though gets my vote on this one.

Soft and fluffy all day long. Although I've played some courses where they put like 5 inches of fluffy sand which is insane. But yeah, will certainly take soft and fluffy everytime.

If it's a green side bunker, soft with plenty of sand. If it's a fairway bunker, then hard compacted sand please.

Soft and fluffy! GC was awesome this way a couple of weeks ago!

JM

I like mine a little damp.

Soft and Fluffy. Not even a shadow of a doubt on that one. So much easier for me to hit out of.

My biggest preference for bunker sand is consistency. I can play out of soft stuff and out of firm stuff. But, what I really, really enjoy is when a course has pretty consistent sand throughout.

Between the two, though, I like firmer sand. Certainly not hard pan, but I do prefer firmer sand to the fluffier stuff.

I really like damp bunkers because of how aggressive I can be out of them. Soft doesn't bother me but hard and fluffy are my least favorite.

I generally prefer soft and fluffy. But, more important is consistency. I want the traps and bunkers to be reasonably consistent from hole to hole.

I really like damp bunkers because of how aggressive I can be out of them. Soft doesn't bother me but hard and fluffy are my least favorite.

I gotta ask about hard and fluffy?

I'd take heavy and wet. I seem to just perform better greenside bunker shots out of heavy/wet sand than the nice soft fluffy stuff.

Soft and fluffy here please.

If we went with the course I play the most then damp and a little heavy. You can put a little spin on it and stop it easier.

Sand is subjective though. The size of the grains depends on how much it packs and how heavy it is and all that. The finer the grain the more difficult it is to play out of because when its really fine and dry it runs off the club face before you get to the ball to throw it out which results in a hit rather than a splash. Wet it clumps and sticks and you can't get the club through it. Bigger grains are more fluffy when dry and easier to play out of wet or dry.

White silica is the nicest I have played out of. You can hit it any way you want wet or dry and its extremely easy to play any shot you want to out of.

Hard to explain, but I want loose sand that's a bit moist. Not hard packed or anything.

I see a bit of a trend here, those who are south or coastal that actually see fluffy sand like it those of us who are use to heavy sand like it.

I prefer the damp hard sand as its what I'm used to playing. The one time I've played in fluffy stuff I struggled. If its damp and hard I have the options of picking it and running it to the hole or if I need it to check I can do that as well.

Soft and fluffy...Pot Bunker style. I think if more course featured bunkers of these nature, more would think about how to play their approach shots.

I think I'll go with "medium" on this one. I don't mind either one TBH but I could do without the major fried eggs when it's super soft and the broken wrists when it's super hard. Whatever they are around here in the summer is perfect. Whatever they were in Hawaii was nuts...when you stepped into the damn thing you pretty much sunk up to your ankles.

Preference is soft fluffy sand, but a rarity in these parts. As long as it's consistent I'll be happy

Neither

A little damp and heavy, but not hard.

soft and fluffy for sure i have much better distance control with that shot than i do with a harder damp sand shot. i'll still be out usually but not as close to the hole.

Soft & Fluffy,
or it might go realllly far

Not hard, and certainly not fluffy. How about firm, as in, well packed. If it is well constructed, there won't be much difference between wet and dry.

Soft and fluffy for me.

Back