Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

Just hit this one on the range back to back with my CG Black.

Pretty certain I will have one in the bag eventually. High launch and incredible distance.

Beags bombs already? Nice dude

Bringing this driver out to the course today along with a couple of others. Looking forward to testing it out.

Me likey

Pretty certain I will have one in the bag eventually. High launch and incredible distance.

Very nice. I'm intrigued for sure and always looking to see if something can knock the R1 out. Hope I get a chance to hit this in a few weeks.

Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

Lucky! Haha

Love to hear this though, love it!

This driver is everything I loved about the CG Black, plus more.

The matrix shaft pairing in this one is just about perfect. I don't see the big miss right that the c Kua 39s would give me out of the black. Still a lightweight shaft, but a bit stouter while still offering a great ball flight.

Ball flight was good, distance was great, and I was hitting them dead down the center of the fairway.

The lateral forgiveness on the face of this one was ridiculous. I got away with some pretty terrible swings out on the toe, and still only missed the fairway by a few feet. Distance loss on off center hits was minimal.

More to come on this one.

The matrix shaft pairing in this one is just about perfect. I don't see the big miss right that the c Kua 39s would give me out of the black. Still a lightweight shaft, but a bit stouter while still offering a great ball flight.

Ball flight was good, distance was great, and I was hitting them dead down the center of the fairway.

The lateral forgiveness on the face of this one was ridiculous. I got away with some pretty terrible swings out on the toe, and still only missed the fairway by a few feet. Distance loss on off center hits was minimal.

You know I have to ask Beags, sound comparisons/thoughts?

Very happy to hear about the lateral forgiveness! Looking forward to hitting this.

I need lateral forgiveness, especially after what I saw today.

Great stuff War! You know my driver game - any direct R1 comparisons? More toe forgiveness than the R1?

I will have quite a bit of info on this one coming up tomorrow. Very intriguing first time out to the range

Great stuff War! You know my driver game - any direct R1 comparisons? More toe forgiveness than the R1?

Yes sir. Incredibly forgiving all over the face. Couple that with minimal distance loss on a miss, and it's just a solid offering.

I will have quite a bit of info on this one coming up tomorrow. Very intriguing first time out to the range

Looking forward to your comments. I am the potential poster boy for this one. An older golfer with 80 mph swing speed. Loved the CG Black distance, but not the dispersion.

So...this driver.

On the range prior to the round today, I pulled my CG Black out and was immediately reminded why I loved it for so long. Then I hit the Altitude.

When I first saw the specs for this driver, my immediate thought was that it was a new and improved CG Black. Well, I was right. For me, with the CG Black, the stock shaft can be too whippy at times and I will lose it way right too often. With the Altitude head paired with this Matrix shaft, they were able to keep it lightweight but add in a bit of shaft stiffness. I liked that a lot.

So, what did I see with this one? Even at 10.5* I was getting a nice mid-high ball flight, that just seemed to keep rising and rising (not ballooning). Distance was out there for sure, significantly longer than the past few drivers I have gamed, but right on par with what I always saw from the CG Black. Many people know that I like to play a big ole cut off the tee, but I attribute that more to playing drivers that dont really fit my game over the past year or so. With this one, I was able to take aim down the center of the fairway and keep it there..only seeing a slight tail-fade at the end of my drives.

Definitely impressed me first time out, thats for sure. Last time I was this excited about a driver, was October 2011.

So...this driver.

On the range prior to the round today, I pulled my CG Black out and was immediately reminded why I loved it for so long. Then I hit the Altitude.

When I first saw the specs for this driver, my immediate thought was that it was a new and improved CG Black. Well, I was right. For me, with the CG Black, the stock shaft can be too whippy at times and I will lose it way right too often. With the Altitude head paired with this Matrix shaft, they were able to keep it lightweight but add in a bit of shaft stiffness. I liked that a lot.

So, what did I see with this one? Even at 10.5* I was getting a nice mid-high ball flight, that just seemed to keep rising and rising (not ballooning). Distance was out there for sure, significantly longer than the past few drivers I have gamed, but right on par with what I always saw from the CG Black. Many people know that I like to play a big ole cut off the tee, but I attribute that more to playing drivers that dont really fit my game over the past year or so. With this one, I was able to take aim down the center of the fairway and keep it there..only seeing a slight tail-fade at the end of my drives.

Definitely impressed me first time out, thats for sure. Last time I was this excited about a driver, was October 2011.

Holy crap. Big words from the Beags.

My attention has been attained.

So...this driver.

Heck of a first date dude. Do u think if you went long term with this you would go higher loft?

Interesting comments War Eagle. Does anyone know if it is possible to order this with the shaft one inch shorter? Or does choking up really give you the same effect? I am becoming convinced the now "standard" 45.75 to 46 inch drivers are too long for me at 5' 6" tall and maybe keeping me from maximizing distance by hitting the sweet spot more often.

Interesting comments War Eagle. Does anyone know if it is possible to order this with the shaft one inch shorter? Or does choking up really give you the same effect? I am becoming convinced the now "standard" 45.75 to 46 inch drivers are too long for me at 5' 6" tall and maybe keeping me from maximizing distance by hitting the sweet spot more often.

Custom orders take place quite often. That should not be a major task.

Holy crap. Big words from the Beags.

My attention has been attained.
Yeah man, I was impressed. I think a lot of it has to do with the shaft pairing with this one, for sure. Lightweight but not whippy like the C Kua 39s was for people. Another great aspect of this one is where the weight is on the sole of the club helping to bring it back square at impact.

Heck of a first date dude. Do u think if you went long term with this you would go higher loft?
I dont think I would need too, definitely was seeing a good launch with the 10.5*

Good stuff dude

That says a lot War. I imagine you've hit a lot of drivers the last two years.

Custom orders take place quite often. That should not be a major task.

If I order direct from Cleveland, do they adjust swingweight, or is it no big deal? If I buy from a specialty store, do they just cut an inch from the butt end?

Nice results Ryan. Cleveland had made some really good drivers in the past. Sounds like another good one here

I will be anxious to hear JB's results tomorrow as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one has caught my attention. I am still gaming my Classic, so I am curious is the face on this one as large as the classic? Looking forward to more thoughts on this driver as I have become a Cleveland wood Homer.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

This one has caught my attention. I am still gaming my Classic, so I am curious is the face on this one as large as the classic? Looking forward to more thoughts on this driver as I have become a Cleveland wood Homer.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
It is not as deep as the Classic is, however, the face on this one is still quite large.

Back