Cleveland 588 Altitude Driver Preview

Classic XL was available in 12*...

Hey now. I didn't say it was their first or only......just that it was pretty cool.

Left myself and my typically poor memory some wiggle room intentionally. Hahaha

Will be hard not to throw down the cash on one of these in a month.

Hey now. I didn't say it was their first or only......just that it was pretty cool.

Left myself and my typically poor memory some wiggle room intentionally. Hahaha

Will be hard not to throw down the cash on one of these in a month.
I am still kicking myself for not going with the 12* XL over the XL Custom.

Pretty impressive that they can balance out that head at D3 with such a light shaft.

That viideo says they're aiming to poach the Adams' market share. It's one thing to "make old man clubs." Cleveland is outright saying, "Old men hit our clubs! Watch! They're doing it RIGHT NOW!"

That being said, if it works, it works. Also, if they can create the height, distance, and forgiveness they claim, while keeping the loft in the "conventional" range of 9-10.5°, people may still buy it over loftier options like the SLDR 12°.

Well after watching the video, this old man wants to try this driver even more. I loved the Cleveland Black and plan to get on a LM with this one very soon.

Well after watching the video, this old man wants to try this driver even more. I loved the Cleveland Black and plan to get on a LM with this one very soon.

Do it Dawg! I can experience these new driver cravings through you :alien:

From the initial pictures that posted a while back (the B&W ones), I wasn't impressed with the looks. Seeing it now in color, it looks much more appealing to me.

Enjoyed the video, but one thing stood out for me... the testimonials for the club were all guys on the older side. I get that it is marketed for people with slower swing speeds etc, but what do you class as a slower speed? I top out in the mid to high 90's. Am I a slow swing speed? Or does Cleveland want to market this to a consumer that is really in that customer segment.

The main question I take away from this:
After playing an SL290 and struggling a bit with accuracy (the 910D2 is straight as an arrow, but the SL290 was right/left/right etc), have there been enough improvements in technology in that time span (head and shaft pairing), to make it an offering that I should make a point of checking out?

From the initial pictures that posted a while back (the B&W ones), I wasn't impressed with the looks. Seeing it now in color, it looks much more appealing to me.

Enjoyed the video, but one thing stood out for me... the testimonials for the club were all guys on the older side. I get that it is marketed for people with slower swing speeds etc, but what do you class as a slower speed? I top out in the mid to high 90's. Am I a slow swing speed? Or does Cleveland want to market this to a consumer that is really in that customer segment.

The main question I take away from this:
After playing an SL290 and struggling a bit with accuracy (the 910D2 is straight as an arrow, but the SL290 was right/left/right etc), have there been enough improvements in technology in that time span (head and shaft pairing), to make it an offering that I should make a point of checking out?
My SS is a bit over 100, and I played the CG Black with no problem, which was marketed toward slow swing speeds as well.

Thanks Alex for the pictures and information. I've played many a Cleveland drivers in the past, the original Ti, Launcher Comp, Hi Bore and more recently the 310TL. This one looks like it could be a winner for Cleveland. Nice job.

Saw some more pics of this in an email this week...looks pretty sweet.

And I had the Matrix Radix Shaft in my Razr Fit Driver and that thing was a fairway finder for sure!

I really like the looks of this and I think it's cool that they put the Altitude name on a driver.

Really not a bad looking driver. I like how the crown is fairly simple. Sounds like a well put together package between the everything in the design and tech in the clubhead, and shaft they're pairing it with. Look forward to seeing how these perform.

Good looking driver, glad to see they are putting out a driver with a shorter face.

I'm sure this one will be another great Cleveland driver and will be interested to see how it performs for those with "moderate" swing speeds and those with higher.

I had great luck with my Cleveland Launcher. First fitted driver for me. I might check this one out. The Altitude irons seem to be good for me...

Reminds me of their older launcher series. Those flew long so imagine it with the current thin face tech. High launching hot face driver I hope.

I was going to say the same thing. It looks really rather similar to the original Launcher 460 driver that I still use.

I did some head testing last week for Cleveland with a 588 driver head, I thought it said custom on the sole plate, it was adjustible and had a weight port. The painted heads were similar to the color photos with out the alignment aid on top. All were hit with a matrix shaft unknown which one as the only marker was matrix with no model number. All I can tell you is they had an unpainted protoype head that felt like and sounded like my CG black Tour. I honestly did not want to give that driver back. The dispersion was very tight, the flight the piercing higher launch with low spin. I am hoping they bring that one out soon. It was like hitting the SL 290 heads for the first time when they were prototypes. And for the record it was carrying longer than my CG black tour with the dromos shaft. It was sneaky long.

Last edited:
This one just arrived.
Looking forward to testing it out this weekend.

This one just arrived.
Looking forward to testing it out this weekend.
Cant wait. If this is a step forward on the CG Black, I will be one happy golfer.

1st post updated with in hand pics.

Face looks slightly larger/deeper than the CG Black.

I like that.

I bet it's forgiving all over the place!

This one is starting to grow on me! Such a clean look and altitudinal forgiveness is assured.

I love my Classic, I shouldn't change it but I'm intrigued by this one. Can't wait to hear more on thoughts on it.

Bringing this driver out to the course today along with a couple of others. Looking forward to testing it out.

Bringing this driver out to the course today along with a couple of others. Looking forward to testing it out.

And we are looking forward to your thoughts, hit them well today.

Just hit this one on the range back to back with my CG Black.

Pretty certain I will have one in the bag eventually. High launch and incredible distance.

Just hit this one on the range back to back with my CG Black.

Pretty certain I will have one in the bag eventually. High launch and incredible distance.

Another driver better than your last, you're a lucky guy

Back