Callaway Apex Pro Irons Preview

I was skeptical of these in the looks department after the Xforged release last year. Which were the sexiest irons I had seen in a long while. These certainly don't play bridesmaid that's for sure. Then you add tungsten weighting, added forgiveness, increased ball speeds to the equation! Put a players iron tag on them. Wow the reviews on these are going to be fun to follow. For me, these could possible be an obtainable reach with continued improvement in my game. Love the possibilities.

I think the look of iron will garner various opinions, it won't be for everyone. I like the departure from every other iron out there. I agree I love the look of my xforged, a lot.

Love the looks of them, even though they might be a touch too much player's iron for me to game. I think it's incredibly cool that they are offering the Tour V standard, plus the Recoils as a custom order option.

Such a good looking iron, and Callaway sure was excited about this one. The enthusiasm that was coming from those guys when talking to us about this set was outstanding.

Take forged add xhot pro distance mix in big Bertha forgiveness and a new age design you'll get the Apex pro. Now the forgiveness is relative in relation to the player profile of the iron. The thinner face and shaft sling some serious ball speed. My stock 6i, favorite distance is 187. I was hitting this number with low groove strikes

Call me intrigued! The X Forged felt great when I hit them but distance didn't match the X Hot Pros. Add in forgiveness too and this might be a player's iron that I could think about gaming.

Very simple look. I can't say I'm in love, but the performance can make up for that

Great looking irons!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to be forthcoming here and say I didn't take one swing with these irons while I was there, but I did hold and fondle one for a good bit of time because it was just so purty!

I knew I was going to be going to the standard set, so I didn't even give it a shot. I do, however, recall people making some pretty extravagant comments after hitting a shot.
Wish I could be more helpful.

These look fantastic !!

These are great looking. I had the privilege to hit these and they are sweet. They were noticeably smaller and I just didn't want that in an iron. For my game and playing once or twice a week I wanted the added forgiveness. The player iron guys will love these for sure. Just all around great!

Very nice looking iron and Callaway is making some serious claims here. I cannot wait to try these and the Apex and see what they can do for my game.

I'm so glad we can talk about the pros now. I'm clearly no good at golf, and I was able to smack these irons out to ridiculous distances with amazing shot shapes. The forgiveness is certainly not on par with the standard Apexes, but they're not blade harsh either. If you put a decent swing down, you're going to get results. You can feel a mishit, but the explosiveness off the face really keeps the ball going to be slightly less penal as long as you're not squirting it way off target.

I decided to go with the pros in the scoring irons to add a little confidence over the ball with the look at address, but wanted the forgiveness of the standard Apexes in the long and mid irons. I've been drooling waiting for these to show up, and its been hard not clamoring about them all over the regular Apex thread.

I think history will show that Callaway hit a homerun this year with these irons, and that other companies will try to emulate.

I didn't spend an extended amount of time with the Pro, but I will add my thoughts. On solidly struck shots, they felt great and I was seeing a mid-high trajectory with a slight draw. On ones that I mishit, they were not surprisingly more penal than the regular Apex. I am a sweeper with my typical mishit being to catch it thin. I was seeing the expected distance loss on those hit thin. I could definitely feel the mishit in my hands as well.

I absolutely loved the look and feel of the PW. Distance and control sandwiched into a nice, sleek package.

Wow. They look phenomenal. They are loaded with tech. And a combo set is a possibility? There's a whole lot to like there.

Possibly the best looking irons I have ever seen. Classic yet stunning to my eye. Absolutely want to hit these even if I my game cant support them. haha

Wow. They look phenomenal. They are loaded with tech. And a combo set is a possibility? There's a whole lot to like there.

Now that is something I would consider. I may not be good, but I can hit short irons. I would consider, if given the opportunity, a 9/PW/GW Pro setup at that end of the bag. Of course, I didn't think about that until after we left Mission Inn; oh well.

Hella freaking sweet! Man are they beauties! Can't wait to hear THPer feedback on these sticks. The only thing that worries me is the "lower spin from the rough" business. I always thought the conventional wisdom was that it was more difficult to spin the ball from the rough, but then I'm no expert.

Can't wait to read the reviews!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

A few of the Testing guys went the Combo route. Will be interesting once they get the sets in hand as the Apex have more aggressive lofts than the Pros so there will be a distance gap unless you adjust the Pro lofts.

A few of the Testing guys went the Combo route. Will be interesting once they get the sets in hand as the Apex have more aggressive lofts than the Pros so there will be a distance gap unless you adjust the Pro lofts.

Not true. At least I don't think so. That's not how irons work.

A good looking set... I don't think anything will be dislodging the X Forged in my bag for a while though, especially at $1,100.

I'm pretty sure someone said they would be adjusting the lofts accordingly. I would imagine they would do that before they went out since they're already changing other specifics for the fitting.

Not true. At least I don't think so. That's not how irons work.

How so? If you have Apex up to 6i and move to Pro in 7i, it would be a 6*increase in loft. Pretty big gap IMO

Iron
Apex
Apex Pro
Diff?
Pw

updated 7i

Last edited:
How so? If you have Apex up to 6i and move to Pro in 7i, it would be a 8* increase in loft. Pretty big gap IMO

IronApexApex ProDiff?
Pw45461
You could gap with a pro 7i, a regular 7i, and then regular from there down for fairly normal-sized gaps.

How so? If you have Apex up to 6i and move to Pro in 7i, it would be a 8* increase in loft. Pretty big gap IMO

Iron
Apex
Apex Pro
Diff?
Pw

Troy, I think the Apex Pro 7iron is 33*.

Not the thread for this discussion. But iron numbers are not determined by loft but by launch angle. Loft is meaningless for this discussion.

I know what you're trying to say, with the blended set. But lofts don't equate to distance with irons.

Back