Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Wedge Review

I completely agree Kevin, that grind is great in some lies and then makes you look foolish in others. It really makes you have to commit to the shot or else you're hitting it poorly!
The crazy part, after I bellied one into the woods over the green and into the woods. It was fun to through the ball at the pin and know it was going to stop with the amount of spin you can put in the ball. They seem like they're going to be a fun wedge to play.

I'm having trouble adjusting being able to throw them that close and have them check up to be honest. I've left myself a lot of 8-10ft putts because they're biting really hard on the second bounce instead of the third. Awesome when you play for it, not when you don't!

I'm having trouble adjusting being able to throw them that close and have them check up to be honest. I've left myself a lot of 8-10ft putts because they're biting really hard on the second bounce instead of the third. Awesome when you play for it, not when you don't!

I'll trade ya..I can't get balls to stop. ..wonder if even I could get balls to stop with these wedges...

I'll trade ya..I can't get balls to stop. ..wonder if even I could get balls to stop with these wedges...

Hard to stop a rolling ball
:)

Played with mine twice now and wow these spin and stop the ball so quick... Like others have said I left a bunch of chips short because of the spin. Now I just plan for it. Today out in Vegas I hit my 56 from 100 yards and knocked it to 3" for a tap in birdie! One hop then stop. Loving these wedges.

The grind has taken some used to yeah, as is the additional spin. Seeing it check up fast out of the sand is a very nice little perk, I can't deny that.

For some reason, the shaft and head combo for me is short. Every other 58 I've owned is a 100yd club. All of a sudden, this has turned into a 90yd club. I'm not a fan of the drop since 100yd is one of my comfort yardages. I'm hoping a quick shaft swap from the TT wedge flex to a DG Spinner will solve some things.

I have the DG Spinner shafts in my Bridgestone J40 wedges and I really do not like them at all on full shots and find them to be shorter by quite some compared to my friends TM wedges with KBS Tour shafts.

I truly believe it's the shafts. I have seen great green side spin since putting in the Kbs tour customs. The wedges truly came to life once I made the switch.

I truly believe it's the shafts. I have seen great green side spin since putting in the Kbs tour customs. The wedges truly came to life once I made the switch.

The DG shafts are my favorite part of the wedges, so much more consistent for me on pitch shots.

Why did you go with the Tours? And not the KBS wedge shafts? Just curious. When I go through the fitting on the KBS website it gives me an option for wedges shafts that I don't really understand what the impact will be if were to go there.

Why did you go with the Tours? And not the KBS wedge shafts? Just curious. When I go through the fitting on the KBS website it gives me an option for wedges shafts that I don't really understand what the impact will be if were to go there.

I started using the tour shafts before the wedge shafts were released in my J40s and the spin was dynamic. So when they went custom with them I stuck with it. I've played the wedge shafts and they perform every well

I thought about putting in a custom but I wanted an apples to apples comparison between the j40 and these. Getting a much better result now with the shaft switch.

Although now I want to try tours in them. Thanks Freddie, I'm running out of ferrules here haha

Ive really come to like this 58! The U grind took some getting used to, and I'm not sure I would go with it again. But, I really enjoy hitting short wedge shots with this. Not being afraid to throw it at the pin and know it's going to check up and stop just build my confidence. The distance difference between my other 58 is about 7 yards, but it's manageable. On Sunday I hit several shots from various difference to really get a feel for how much I can go after it with it. The quickest thing I learned was stay committed, and attack the pin.

I put the 52 and 58 U in my bag and i am impressed they are ball shredders and spin like crazy with out losing any distance. I was at the golf shop getting the wedges bent upright and found a 64 in the used bin for $85 bucks had it bent upright and 2 deg strong now it hits big high 60 yrd shots and works great chipping and when short sided

I got a chance to get some time in last night with my 52° MD2 wedge that I bought off the marketplace and I have to say, after a slight adjustment period, I think I am really going to like these things.

I noticed right off the bat that the MD2 wedge head seemed to be a bit heavier than my J40 wedges. It just felt like I had some more weight on the end of the shaft as I was going through my swings. I haven't checked the specs on each yet to see if that was true, but just something that caught my attention. I also noticed that the MD2 wedge has a bit different head shape than my J40 as well. The head on the MD2 seems to have a bit of a larger profile than the J40 does at address. That took a little bit to get used to as well.

Performance wise, the first 5-6 shots I hit were thinned pretty bad. I don't know if I was trying to compensate for something or what, but it didn't go well to start. After that adjustment period, I started hitting shots more flush. I was just doing full swing wedge shots into a net, so I really could only go with the feedback that the wedge was giving me. Wasn't obviously able to see any type of ball flight characteristics or green interaction.

With that being said, I think I am really going to like this wedge. With a little bit of practice, I think these wedges are going to do just fine this year in my bag. I was originally going to go with the slate wedges, butI think satin may be winning me over in the looks department. I'll have more of my thoughts as we get out of the winter months and into the spring.

I got a chance to get some time in last night with my 52° MD2 wedge that I bought off the marketplace and I have to say, after a slight adjustment period, I think I am really going to like these things.

I noticed right off the bat that the MD2 wedge head seemed to be a bit heavier than my J40 wedges. It just felt like I had some more weight on the end of the shaft as I was going through my swings. I haven't checked the specs on each yet to see if that was true, but just something that caught my attention. I also noticed that the MD2 wedge has a bit different head shape than my J40 as well. The head on the MD2 seems to have a bit of a larger profile than the J40 does at address. That took a little bit to get used to as well.

Performance wise, the first 5-6 shots I hit were thinned pretty bad. I don't know if I was trying to compensate for something or what, but it didn't go well to start. After that adjustment period, I started hitting shots more flush. I was just doing full swing wedge shots into a net, so I really could only go with the feedback that the wedge was giving me. Wasn't obviously able to see any type of ball flight characteristics or green interaction.

With that being said, I think I am really going to like this wedge. With a little bit of practice, I think these wedges are going to do just fine this year in my bag. I was originally going to go with the slate wedges, butI think satin may be winning me over in the looks department. I'll have more of my thoughts as we get out of the winter months and into the spring.

I think you will like this too, I love the added weight and the more "bulky" the wedge is compared to the J40. Hit a 60* quite a bit last week for the first time and fell in love

I think you will like this too, I love the added weight and the more "bulky" the wedge is compared to the J40. Hit a 60* quite a bit last week for the first time and fell in love

Bulky is a good way to describe it when compared to the J40. That's the word I was looking for. I think it's going to do just fine this year. It may not be "mikedean 98 yards with a 58° fine" but it will work. :alien:

Really looking forward to working with these. Not only are they some of the prettiest wedges out there (IMO) but they seem to share a similar shape with the Trusty Rusty wedges I've come to work with and really like.

Anyone made the switch from the TR's to the MD2's? What did you like? Dislike?

Bulky is a good way to describe it when compared to the J40. That's the word I was looking for. I think it's going to do just fine this year. It may not be "mikedean 98 yards with a 58° fine" but it will work. :alien:

I'm just not as scared with the beefier wedges in my hand as some others like the J40s

I picked up at used 58* to play around with pre-MC. I figured spending a little time getting use to the feel will pay off come July. As of right now I don't think I'll "game" them, but will practice a little each time I'm working on my short game.

I picked up at used 58* to play around with pre-MC. I figured spending a little time getting use to the feel will pay off come July. As of right now I don't think I'll "game" them, but will practice a little each time I'm working on my short game.
I think that you will like them once you get use to the feel they are a bit heavy but they are very easy to hit i really love my 58* U it is super versital the 52* is nice spins a bit more than i am use to but an staring to get the hang of them

I think that you will like them once you get use to the feel they are a bit heavy but they are very easy to hit i really love my 58* U it is super versital the 52* is nice spins a bit more than i am use to but an staring to get the hang of them

Thanks! I got the c grind and am looking forward to trying it out once I can make it to the course.

I have the 52u , does anyone else know a different sound from these wedges? I used to play the 588's and the MD2 is definitely different sound.

I've noticed my 58 doesn't sound as good as my J40. It just seems to come off a little more hollow sounding and the lack of distance that follows is a little disappointing. Around the green though it's fantastic.

Back