Favorite BBQ Restaurants

Here in Dallas my favorite is Babb Brothers (don't miss out on their Turkey and the potato cheese casserole is out of this world), in the midwest I love Jack Stack in KC (the burnt ends are where its at).

Couple of favorites of mine that are local. Not the end all be all's like some of my nationwide favorites. This is what we have locally that I find really really really good.

Buzz and Neds
Extra Billy's

I have to go with Dinosaur' BBQ here in Rochester or Syracuse, NY - either location works for me. I have been to a couple of really good BBQ joints in North Carolina but I am not sure of their names. But I have had a few buddies of mine from the South give a thumbs up to Dinosaur's, so I think that means they are doing something right.

While I like the PorkSket (humungous) and the Cuban sandwich at the Dinosaur, I prefer Sticky Lips BBQ here in Rochester.

I like the Memphis style BBQ although the North Carolina style can be appealing also.

I've read that Burnt Ends were first "invented" by the founder of Jack Stack in Kansas City. Not sure about that or not but it's what I've heard.

My list:

Jack Stack
OK Joes

They swap 1st and 2nd on a regular basis depending on my mood and what I'm hungry for.

The rest:

There is no "the rest". Those are the only two I choose to eat at.

This is where living the south comes in handy, whole lot of nothing in southern Oregon. Luckily I've got my dad, chef from southern Mississippi who's worked all over the south from Texas to Florida. Our family owned a deli for a number of years, so after we sold it we kept all our commercial smokers. He makes incredible things.

Other than that good real bbq is non existent here. Damn you southies.

Try red smoke in greektown also.

The Pegasus restaurant might have the best lamb chops I've ever had. If you like lamb chops.

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

Yeah; I have been to red smoke. Had some pulled chicken with cherry molasses sauce. Slows overtook red smoke. Might give pegasus a try; I am always down for greek.

Bummer. I suggested Pegasus to the group I was working with in dtown (some of which live there), and I was defiantly turned down. They said it used to be good, but now it is dirty, has poor service and focuses more on the after bar crowd for revenues.

I might have to try it by myself when I am back out there.

Eastern NC vinegar based BBQ is where it is at for me! Miss living up there primarily because of the BBQ. I have a friend send me a big bottle of vinegar based sauce a few times a year from there. Can only find tomato based sauces in south GA / FL panhandle.

Eastern NC vinegar based BBQ is where it is at for me! Miss living up there primarily because of the BBQ. I have a friend send me a big bottle of vinegar based sauce a few times a year from there. Can only find tomato based sauces in south GA / FL panhandle.

I do like the Smokin' Pig over in Valdosta, several different sauce's to choose from.

My new favorite for pulled pork (with crust) is Woody Creek, in Fort Worth, near Ridgmar Mall. The original is in Springtown, TX.

Overall BBQ fav is Cousin's, which has won a few awards. Love their brisket and sauce.

Famous Dave's. Im still bummed that there isnt one anywhere in Ohio.

I do like the Smokin' Pig over in Valdosta, several different sauce's to choose from.

I do like that one as well DD. There is also one in Macon where the mall is. Seems like maybe I may have seen a few other Smokin' Pig's in my travels also.

I do like that one as well DD. There is also one in Macon where the mall is. Seems like maybe I may have seen a few other Smokin' Pig's in my travels also.

He owns about 5 smokin pibs, 2 or 3 bars and some mama junes... definitely one of the best chain bbq places!

You Americans have certainly got BBQ down to a fine art. I watch shows on TV and I'm amazed at the stuff that comes out of some of the pits. If I lived in the US i think I'd be one of those 1000lb+ people that has to be lifted out of their house by 20 people, Lol. Here in New Zealand 99.9% of the population have zero idea how to BBQ. Whenever you go to one it's the same rubbish, pre cooked flavourless sausages, cheap burger patties and maybe some steak. I'm South African and took my fiance to a BBQ at some old South African friends I know and she was blown away. Good meat, well cooked and tons of different sides.
I plan on getting to the US for a holiday one day and will stop at pretty much every BBQ place I come across.

Locally, Lexington BBQ in Lexington, NC. The chopped is where it's at.

Also, I'm a big fan of One Hot Mamas on Hilton Head.

I Love Lexington BBQ and also Gary's BBQ in China Grove ,NC .My playing group hits Gary's every chance after a round of golf if playing in the area.

You Americans have certainly got BBQ down to a fine art. I watch shows on TV and I'm amazed at the stuff that comes out of some of the pits. If I lived in the US i think I'd be one of those 1000lb+ people that has to be lifted out of their house by 20 people, Lol. Here in New Zealand 99.9% of the population have zero idea how to BBQ. Whenever you go to one it's the same rubbish, pre cooked flavourless sausages, cheap burger patties and maybe some steak. I'm South African and took my fiance to a BBQ at some old South African friends I know and she was blown away. Good meat, well cooked and tons of different sides.
I plan on getting to the US for a holiday one day and will stop at pretty much every BBQ place I come across.

From South Africa and lives in New Zealand? That's a long way from home. Is it difficult to get good cuts of meat in NZ, too expensive, or simply that no one knows how to properly smoke/cook bbq? If someone from the states moved to NZ and opened up a classic US style bbq joint would it not be well received?

4rivers in WinterPark, Fl

4rivers in WinterPark, Fl

I have always heard that was as good as it gets. When I finally got to try it I was super excited, but left a bit disappointed. It was pretty dang good, but failed to live up to my lofty expectations.

That being said, I've never been to a bbq place that wasn't a hole in the wall that would make it in my top 5.

Russell's BBQ in Elmwood Park, IL is one of my favorites. Hard to describe, but it's a little different than traditional StL, KC, Chicago bbq - could just be in the sauce.

Second up for me is Fat Matt's in Atlanta. I have to make at least one stop here every time I pass through. Simply fantastic

If in Houston you have to visit Luling City Market on Richmond & 610 (Galleria area). You can thank me later

iPhone 5 Tappin

We have a chain of BBQ places here in Florida called Cowboy, now they do use an off the shelf sauce(Cattlemans) they do have an awesome pulled pork sandwich. Always tender and moist. Very awesome.!

From South Africa and lives in New Zealand? That's a long way from home. Is it difficult to get good cuts of meat in NZ, too expensive, or simply that no one knows how to properly smoke/cook bbq? If someone from the states moved to NZ and opened up a classic US style bbq joint would it not be well received?

All of the above really. Meat is quite expensive here but the biggest thing is no one knows how to, or wants to know how to smoke/cook bbq. They're kinda stuck in their ways here? I know even in my time growing up in South Africa that no one did BBQ like the Americans but we put on a good spread. I would think an American style BBQ place would do amazingly well here if one were to open but I can't see that happening. I went into a shop the other day and saw my first ever EGG, can't remember the brand but it wasn't one of those BIG GREEN ones, I'm super tempted to get one and learn how to use it properly. Sorry to have taken this thread off topic to a degree.

Interesting you mention "good cuts of meat" given the fact American BBQ started out as a way to make less desirable cuts eatable which explains why most bbq requires long slow cooking and lots of sauce. You should work on mutton BBQ and come up with lamb complementary sauces - mint, curry, etc.

Famous Dave's. Im still bummed that there isnt one anywhere in Ohio.

Really? Famous Dave's? They are all over down here. For "fast food" bbq it's ok, but they can't touch our KC REAL bbq joints. I DO like thier cornbread muffins, I will say that.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back