Do You Over Think Shafts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
A spent a lot of time speaking with an authority on golf clubs over the past two weeks as I prepare for a few things and we got speaking about amateurs, shafts and what goes into their thought process.

Do you believe you are over thinking shaft choices?
Do you believe you are thinking enough about shaft choices?

And assuming it is not a direct result of fitting, what makes you put a different shaft in play?

During our talks we spoke about ball flight and different shafts and how they impact the amateur golfer. Then we spoke more about the direct relation to the driver head, the golf ball and even the grip in terms of performance.

I don't think about shafts enough, after hitting a few different ones over the last month I know for a fact that there are better options out there for me. This will be an interesting thread.

I over think almost all my equipment decisions. Mostly through trial and error. I need to soend more time with a trained fitter and a LM next year.

I had never thought about them at all until joining THP. Now I have decided that it appears I have been missing the boat for years and had no clue. Once I have some disposable income at hand, I am planning on having a fitting done.

Its funny I just sent JB and pm about this very thing. I have seen recently what a difference it makes. I have been looking at hotstix because I want to know I am using the right shaft for the right swing. I think I am going to step up after the first of the year and spend some money to see what a difference it makes.

I'm not a big shaft tinkerer so I would like to think that I don't overthink shaft selection.

I tend to find something that works and stick with offerings that have a similar profile. For the most part, I have also found that I can adapt to most anything unless it a very low launching shaft which I will struggle with.

I think about my driver shaft WAY TOO MUCH. Iron shafts, I found some that I love. Thinking has ceased.

But driver shafts, I know I put too much time into thinking about torque ratings and tip stiffness and the like.

I will say, I know that I like my driver shafts in the 60 gram weight class with a stiff tip. I think.

I'd say the average golfer has no concept of the importance of shafts and as a result doesn't pay nearly enough attention to them.

I probably am not thinking enough about my shaft choices.

The things that make me try different shafts are feedback received on THP, a growing sense of what I like in shafts and info obtained here about how to do the work myself.

I think there are times where we may attribute problems hitting a certain brand of golf club more to the head itself. Statements like "I can't hit "x" club because of "y" reason. I think we are quick to write off a club/company without trying to tinker with different shafts. I'm guilty of this as well in the past, but I am getting better at being much more open to that fact and not writing off a club just because I didn't hit it well for five swings with a stock shaft that says "stiff" but very well could have properties that push it more toward the x-stiff or the regular side of the flex spectrum.

When it comes to golf I think its safe to say I don't over think anything, I try to keep it as simple as possible

I think about shafts a lot. Like, more than I think about all the new club head designs. The shaft truly is the engine of the club. You could have the best piece of modern tech on the end of the stick, but if your shaft fights you in squaring up that clubhead, its a waste of money.
And then we get into the advanced topics like spin and launch height, pairing with appropriate club head types etc. and it becomes a very technical process.

All that being said, I have found a phenomenal shaft for my driver, and love my hybrid shafts too. Still looking for the perfect iron shaft, and will probably undertake a full iron shaft fitting this spring when my swing changes are "hopefully" done more or less.

I used to be one that thought it was an extremely minute effect, especially with someone like me who is by far not a ball striker. But seeing the crazy effects on trajectory and distance with the same heads and various shafts in my last fitting completely opened my eyes, to the point that I'm with Trout Bum, I don't think I thought about it enough.

A spent a lot of time speaking with an authority on golf clubs over the past two weeks as I prepare for a few things and we got speaking about amateurs, shafts and what goes into their thought process.

Do you believe you are over thinking shaft choices?
Do you believe you are thinking enough about shaft choices?

And assuming it is not a direct result of fitting, what makes you put a different shaft in play?

Leaving the fitting out of the picture, I would put a different shaft in play if it hepled me hit the sweet spot more often and bring the launch trajectory down.

I did go through a time period where I was questioning the shafts in my irons and driver specifically. I'm confident now with the shaft choice in my irons but the driver is still a minor question. I'm just analytical enough to likely think too much about the specifications of the driver shaft. I would say that I have done some "over thinking" on that one.

As far as thinking enough, I would say definitely yes. At this time my driver is better than my previous driver but I honestly can't tell much right now what I need because I'm tweeking my swing and the tempo and timing isn't what I know it should be. In a couple of months I hope that I'll be ready to evaluate and "think" more about the driver shaft solution.

I ordered my irons with one thing in mind...bring my ball flight down. Haven't given them much thought sense.

I am a driver shaft 'tinkerer'. With irons, I am constantly hitting different shots so I think its best to just learn what they do and then adjust based on the shot. With a driver you typically only change the shape, so it makes sense to tinker with shafts until you find the ideal setup.

I don't think I think about shafts too much. I'm actually starting to think about them a lot more, mainly from a lot I have read here about how important they are. Considering the number of options and technology out there, I would think finding the right shafts that fit your swing would go a long way in improving.

Im guilty of not thinking about shafts enough. Despite seeing first hand the difference a shaft makes, I have not spent enough time trying out options that are available for me.

I over think almost all my equipment decisions. Mostly through trial and error. I need to soend more time with a trained fitter and a LM next year.

Silly question, but, "LM"???

Hmmmm.

I'm comfortable with where I'm at with my metalwood shaft pondering I guess. I have a pretty good grip on what works for me at least, just based on testing so many different things both on course and with a monitor. Iron shafts are a bit of a toss up compared to woods at the moment though. I thought I knew exactly what I liked until just recently.

I under think shafts, clearly. I am just starting to learn about them, so hopefully this will be solved soon! Knowledge is power.

I don't think I'm over thinking it.

With iron shafts, I've always gone with what the fitter recommended, but I do always wonder. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of access to different iron shafts. If I put one in play, it's a big deal as I likely have to reshaft or purchase something new to try them out.

I've found a shaft that works for me in my hybrid and FWs in the PX 6.0. Really just stumbled onto that one. I'm thinking that the Kusala Blue (which has a similar flex code to the PX, per Cleveland) will make it's way into whatever 3W I decide to go with at the end of the SLDR testing. Or I may just grab another PX. Who knows.

Totally lucked out on the B Asha as well. I like that it forces a little bit of a smoother swing with the driver as I have a tendency to get quick. If I know the shaft doesn't work for that, I'm less likely to do it.

I've tinkered so much the last few years with shafts that I honestly don't worry about it as much anymore b/c I consider myself "informed" on the matter of whats usually good for me. If I'm going to get a new weapon of choice, I'm going to put a shaft in it I'll have confidence in; I find it easier on my psyche that way lol.

I think that I used to not put enough thought into my shafts and I would just stick with the stock shafts on everything. I based a clubs performance based on the stock shaft, whereas if I would have put an identical shaft on several different heads it would have been clear which club actually gave me the best performance. I feel I am at the point now where I put just enough thought into the shafts to make sure I get something that performs well for my swing and thats about it. I don't overthink it and it has made a big difference in my game.

Up until I started reading about different shaft offerings on here, I had never considered different shafts, but after spending some time with a fitter earlier this year it made me realise just how much of a difference you can see by putting different shafts in irons so it is something I will definitely be looking at for any purchases in the future

I did find the ideal shaft (Project X 5.5) at that time, but I would definitely be considering the latest offerings if/when I decide on some new irons to see if there is anything that can improve on what I saw at the previous fitting

Woods - I have been more than happy with the stock offerings in the RBZ that I am using so I possibly wouldn't tinker with those at this moment in time

Driver - This is still the gap in my bag, but despite trying numerous drivers over the course of the year, I am yet to find anything that I have truly clicked with. This is quite possibly down to only being able to hit the stock shafts as none of the stores near me have much in the way of options so I will need to find a fitter that carries a good selection.

I have found a Ping/Callaway/Taylormade/Titleist fitting centre not too far away so seeing as I am pondering the Apex line along with the Speedblades, this would seem like the ideal place to try them side by side, and I could also look at the Optiforce and X2 Hot drivers as well

Back