The New Callaway Golf - Your Thoughts

They are quickly becoming first on my list of clubs to try. I have fallen in love with the XHot hybrids. I have never been successful with a 3 hybrid until I got the XHot and I am now 100% confident with that club. I will be trying their driver and fairway woods soon as that part of my bag is oldest. I've never played Callaway until this year when my eyes were opened.

Just wondering if you had an example of this?

Besides the introduction of the Optiforce driver, which was a completely new line, Callaway hasn't released anything since last February and with none of the new lines being released until the new year, that's a full year release cycle.

I don't, not with Callaway - it's more a perception thing than anything else.

I will be honest and say that in the past, Callaway was not a brand I would have considered as I always had the impression that they were a company for the older generation and, this may be just have been the people using them, those who had a form of snobbery over others looking down on people who didn't play the clubs - admittedly this can be true of any person who thinks they are above everyone else, but that was my impression from those I had met / played with

But let me say that over the course of the past year or so, that preconception has completely disappeared with everything they have done (and not just on here with the interaction with THP) and they are now a company that will be in serious contention for any club in my bag that I want to replace

The pricing model may hinder certain people who can't afford to pay the asking price when new, especially if clubs are not likely to be discounted due to the 'limited' quantity that they are producing based on the forecasted demand - as an example, that may work in someones favour if they are saving for a particular set of irons...by the time they have saved up, there could well be something newer and better available for the price they were initially looking at paying (I am using myself and the Apex irons for this here)

Callaway has gone a long way to improving their whole company image and if they keep going in this direction, I think they have the potential to convert a lot of people to their brand, and if I was to ever be lucky enough to participate in something like the Grandaddy then they would have a customer for one heck of a long time :D

I like the way they're exposing their goodness to the golfing public. They don't mine getting their hands dirty by working directly with groups for fittings, demos of new products, and sharing their vast knowledge of the upcoming products. This imo leads to heavy duty marketing from the people they are trying to help. What's better than allowing a customer to see your product first hand, getting excited about it, and then passing on their love to the masses. Word of mouth is powerful advertisement and Cally is getting that done with flying colors.

I'm loving their flash back to the Big Bertha era and I'm more than excited to give those fat little ladies a spin around the course. :golf2::thumb:

I've never been a big Callaway guy, but all the social media interaction and seeing my good buddy DawgDaddy hardly ever miss a fairway with his X Hot driver made me go out and buy one and I loved it. After reading about the 3Deep and hearing how great it was, I went out and bought one from Callaway's website. The buying experience was great, but the performance wasn't there for me. (And I totally blame that on user error)

I'm a pretty big TM homer, but I'll definitely say that Callaway's marketing and the performance of their equipment from what I read on THP and my own personal experience has made me give their equipment a serious look, which is something I didn't think I'd say around this time last year. Interesting to see what they have in store for 2014.

I love the "new" Callaway. I've always been a big fan of Callaway and their gear. Although, I've only ever owned one Callaway club, the Great Big Bertha. Most of my clubs have been hand-me-downs, or lower priced models than what Callaway offered at the time of purchase. All that will change in the future I think after this year. If I'm in the market for something new, I may be more willing to wait longer and save more to get a Callaway product. The way they interact with consumers, and give them an inside look at what's going on is awesome. Customer service and satisfaction is huge to me, and when I company really excels in those areas it makes me want to give them my business.

I think all of that has also helped them create a ton of hype for their 2014 products. I for one, can't wait to see the stuff when it comes out. And I honestly don't think I would feel the same way if they didn't have all the interaction they do with their consumers.

They've had a good year.

Marketing group gets a lot of the credit, but people don't always realize how instrumental Chip Brewer is in all this. He's an equipment guy and his vision is a product driven company. One line really stuck out to me, "Make cool sh!t and people will buy it". Followed by, "you tell us what's cool and what's not cool, not the other way around".

Product driven + customer driven = good things for them and golfers.

They've had a good year.

Marketing group gets a lot of the credit, but people don't always realize how instrumental Chip Brewer is in all this. He's an equipment guy and his vision is a product driven company. One line really stuck out to me, "Make cool sh!t and people will buy it". Followed by, "you tell us what's cool and what's not cool, not the other way around".

Product driven + customer driven = good things for them and golfers.
Companies that are willing to take ideas from their customers are ones that succeed. In doing R&D research before, I found a statistic once that said 80% of new ideas in R&D are spawned from customers. Makes sense to suit the needs of the people buying your "cool sh!t"!

I am blown away by Callaway Golf. The new lines with Big Bertha, Apex - has gotten rave reviews from all kinds of golfers. Callaway's approach to social media is second to none in the industry. I am not sure people can relate to members of another golf company like they can with Callaway. The interaction with Harry, Chad, Jason, Scott, Rhiona with THP members and other golfers just shows that they really get it and have truly embraced the power of social media. The fact that I can name those people off the top of my head - I can't really do that with other golf companies and that just shows me they are leaps and bounds ahead of other companies.

I didn't read the thread before posting, so I apologize if my input restates something that's already been said.

I like the direction they are going with their drivers, but I'm still not sure I get their iron strategy. It seems like they created 2 sets of irons with a lot of the same attributes.

IMO, Callaway needs an GI iron with much less offset & a thinner sole.

I didn't read the thread before posting, so I apologize if my input restates something that's already been said.

I like the direction they are going with their drivers, but I'm still not sure I get their iron strategy. It seems like they created 2 sets of irons with a lot of the same attributes.

I think you'll have to see them in person, but the X2 Hot Pro's were that for me.

I think you'll have to see them in person, but the X2 Hot Pro's were that for me.

I will echo Hawks thoughts here.. the X2 Hot Pros fit that bill well. They have a thinner sole and less offset than the original Xhot Pros.

For me it goes X2Hot --- Apex --- X2Hot Pros --- Apex Pros

At the end of 2011, my bag was all Callaway. At the end of that year, the top end of my bag had been changed out to another OME. Going into 2012, I was looking for new irons and tried many different brands, Callaway being one of the tops on the list.
I did not go with Callaway irons, but was impressed with the direction the company was heading. Their products seemed to be much improved from the last couple of years and their presence on social media was second to none.
Now, going into 2014, I am real excited to get out there and test it ALL the Callaway offerings. Their entire lineup is very interesting and I am excited to get my hands on these new offerings. I may be changing the top end of my bag this year, and Callaway (because of the grandaddy) is at the very top of the list this coming spring. I can't wait to see what Callaway can do to help move my game forward.

Everything in my bag is Callaway,always has been cuz it suits my game.

The "new" Callaway Golf, as a company is fantastic! They are releasing solid offerings again, throwing a nod to their hay-day (Bertha), and communicating with the consumer through pring advertisement, in-store signage, and especially social media in a way that is refreshing, consistant, and perceived to be educations and truthful. As to their 2014 line of products, I can't speak to the performance as I haven't had the chance to touch any of the 2014 clubs (except had the apex in-hand at golfsmith the other day, but couldn't swing them), but the aesthetics and explanation of the tech behind the design along with favorable reviews from those on THP luck enough to have time with them have me hopefully optomistic.

They're killing it! :beat-up: Nough said

Wish I could get my paws on the BBAlpha!

I'm really excited about most all of Callaway's 2014 line, but particularly the Apex/Apex Pro irons. I really like the idea of the new Big Bertha line as well, and the X2Hot has promise, especially with how much I love my XHot 4 hybrid. Regarding the "new" Callaway, I really think they turned a corner last year. They went from being totally in the back of my mind for clubs as a bit of a tricked up company to being one of my favorites, particularly in the iron and wedge department. And obviously I love the way they interact with us at THP through events, testing, etc., and the Twitter campaign via my man Hashtag.

In short, I think that since 2013 Callaway has really started doing nearly everything right to become one of my 3 or 4 favorite OEM's.

The New Callaway Golf - Your Thoughts

As Hawk said, the x2 hot pros might fit that bill. But with out that offset and thickness, you're kind of giving up what helps make those irons game improvement options

I think the "new Callaway" is fresh, exciting, and innovating! I don't think it's crazy to say they have arguable the best lineup of equipment for 2014. They have already sparked so much buzz about the BB line I can only image what's next. We have heard from JB and the Grandaddy participants about the x2hot line and what could be the next hybrid of the year. Callaway has a new putter line that involves a revolutionary milling process. Equipment aside, I feel they are engaging their fans and customers like no other brand.

A lot of you know I'm a bit of a Callaway Fan boy, have been for years. I remember getting my first Big Bertha driver back in 1994, then the 3 wood, then the Big Bertha irons and stand bag to go with it. I was just a Freshman in High School at the time, but that got me hooked. Even then, the technology was so much better than what I was playing. I had this renewed confidence in my game, since I was playing so much better. Golf became a passion, and for me, Callaway was one of the big reasons why.

Today, with the "New" Callaway, and the way they have become so interactive in the golf and marketing, is awesome. I try to have an open mind, I try not to let myself be to wrapped up in them that I don't see the other OEM's great equipment. I, like a lot of you, follow a lot of the other OEM's on Twitter and Facebook or other areas of Social Media. Maybe I have blinders on, but for me, it feels like a lot of the other companies just don't have, or choose to have the interaction's with us like Callaway. The "New" Callaway makes me feel like I have an almost One on One relationship with them, because of this. This is coming from a guy who's not even on my Social Media accounts as much as others, yet I still know that #Chad and Harry (among others) are probably seeing my notifications where I tag them.

It's not JUST the Social Media either, it's the Brand, it's the look and feel of the clubs for me. You can see and feel the passion they have for making the Worlds best Equipment for us. In a time where people loose interest and focus in a matter of minutes, no seconds, yet Callaway still keeps that foothold! They keep it fresh, they keep this new and exciting. If you would have asked me, maybe as recently as last year...."James, are we at the peak of club technology?" I would have been the guy who probably told you that we were, what else can they do? Yet then, Callaway bring the Big Bertha back, the slider technology, and the Alpha with the Gravity Core. This just seems like next level technology that I never though was possible. The best part about this, the "New" Callaway probably has a line up for 2015 that will shock me even more than the 2014 lineup, and that give me Goosebumps thinking about it.

The "New" Callaway, get us, they get me, they get golf! They had me from the first time this 14 years old kid from Kansas heard the iconic, crisp metallic melody of perfection off the face of the Big Bertha driver! To any of the great people from Callaway (in ANY Division of the company) that may be reading these...Keep up the AWESOME work you're doing!

-James Vaughn
AKA...Agent Jay

I've always had Callaway clubs in my bag and I'm looking forward to testing out their new equipment. The XHots and Optiforce I'm playing now are some of the easiest and longest clubs I've had. I'm interested to find out if I get any improvement with the new lines and at this point, am very intrigued by the Big Bertha driver.

Marketing wise, I think they made a lot of progress this year. There is a lot more buzz about them and not just from what I see on THP. For example, my Dad has always been a staunch Cobra and TM guy and has the XHot hybos, as well as a few of his friends. I'm starting to see them at my club as well, which generally consists of the Ping and Titleist set. The social media has been great, getting the word out on some of the best clubs offered right now.

Personally, and I'm sure this is a broken record by now, but I was blown away by the #granddaddy event. Putting that together was no small task for everyone involved and that type of attention to regular players like us goes a long way in my book. I also recently had a very positive experience with their customer service, so considering all of the above, it is virtually certain I will be playing at least something from the 2014 line.

The biggest thing IMO that Callaway had to get away from was being know by the golfing public as a "Old Man's Club" (sorry OG). I was never really a fan of their woods or wedges but their irons were always on my radar. I played the X14 and X20 irons back a few years and loved them. Then when they developed the FT-i driver, that was it for me. I was out on their woods for good (even though at the time I was hitting the FT9). I was tired of hearing how my equipment was built for the senior citizen.

But then enter Harry Arnett and team to Callaway present. What a time to be selected to the Morgan Cup and have them behind us in their new movement. Equipment built for speed, distance and even control. Everything my game is and wants to be! "Built it and he will come." Yes, we did and it was awesome! Their drivers were scary long. Their fairway woods were longer. Their irons were straight. The MD2's were built with control and spin. Their golf ball is among the tops now. What a change in a short amount of time and it was awesome to be apart of it. From top to bottom they were addressing issues with their older lineup and fixing it. There is not a weak club in the lineup now. Amazing.

I too, like a few others, worry about their PGA staffers and making the impact that I hope they do. I look at a few other companies and see a stacked lineup. I think they are taking a few flyers on some of their profession picks. If they hit on 'em they will be home runs. But they need a few more "Phils" in their stable to really pack the pro punch IMO.

Social media....well, they are running it right now. You can personally make what you want out of it, it's up to you. Engage them a lot or only use them when you need questions answered. Either way, these guys are there for you no matter what the question is. How nice is that?! In a day and age when Customer No-Service is taking over retail sales, it is refreshing to see a company embrace this century old technique.

I hope Callaway Golf continues to #BringIt. Just the other day I recommended someone go look at the Callaway fairway woods as they really wanted a new 3 wood. I didn't blink an eye with my answer. Not because I was a staffer for the Morgan Cup this last year......but because they are indeed the best fairway wood I've hit to date. I continue to use my Optiforce, which has become one of the best drivers I've ever used. Not because they said it would be long, but because it is for me and results have proven that. If Callaway Golf can keep this pace up then I have no doubt this War can be won.

Quick thoughts since most have already summarized what I wanted to say:
*Love how open the company is on social media and how excited they are about their products. Of course, you would expect any company to be excited about their products, but somehow it feels a little different because you're not just getting "marketing speak" all the time from their employees via social media.
*I also like how their products show tangible technological upgrades from their clubs in the past. It's not like other companies where you struggle to see the changes from year to year.
*They need another big name on tour other than Phil. They made a push to sign a bunch of longer hitters going into 2013 and that didn't do much for them. I've heard rumblings about a big signing for 2014, but I want to see who it is before I say that they've made progress in that department.
*I do wonder how their pricing model is going to do with keeping prices the same all year with the Big Bertha clubs and possible some others. I think that retailers will really like it, but I wonder how the average consumer is going to look at it when a number of other companies will be cutting prices on their clubs, since a good number of people are always looking for a deal.
*Finally, I know that having a number of different choices is great for most consumers, and Callaway definitely has that in the driver and iron categories. But I wonder if a regular guy walking into a golf store is going to be a bit confused by the sheer number of different choices.
*Overall, my view of them is much improved from 2011-2012. FWIW, there was no way I'd have considered putting a Callaway club in my bag after the first Morgan Cup in 2011, they have made HUGE strides since that time, I definitely want to try out all of their stuff in 2014.

For me, the adjective is intrigued. Part of me wishes they would've expanded on the RFE. That was my favorite driver of 2013. However, I'm excited to see what they BB has to offer in terms of the trifecta (Distance, Forgiveness, Feel). The X2 doesn't nearly get me as excited because there's no real hype about it. That's a shame, because those hybrids just look like they can fly. But outside of the Callaway boys praising it on twitter and some people on here. I haven't heard people or staffers rave about it like they are doing for the BB. I had the opportunity to try the Apex irons and I was really pleased by them. They were ultra forgiving and when you hit it on the button, it had a Mizuno feel. Just so smooth. Almost as if you never made contact. I love that in an iron. Plus, it was LONG. MD2 don't really intrigue me because I will always be a Cleveland wedge guy. I LOVE my Rotex's and will not go away from them. The whole Odyssey brand intrigues me. While I'm really set with my DLL and have no business in changing, I always like trying new things. I've always like my old #7, so Odyssey is good in my books.

The biggest thing IMO that Callaway had to get away from was being know by the golfing public as a "Old Man's Club" (sorry OG). I was never really a fan of their woods or wedges but their irons were always on my radar. I played the X14 and X20 irons back a few years and loved them. Then when they developed the FT-i driver, that was it for me. I was out on their woods for good (even though at the time I was hitting the FT9). I was tired of hearing how my equipment was built for the senior citizen.

haha not a problem good buddy :D. I some what agree with the fact that Cally is gravitating away from the "old man's club" however I bet they are still looking to sell their products to the old geezers. I mean just think of all the baby boomers out there with the big pockets, who love shiny new toys. I know I am infatuated with the new Big Bertha line and I have no doubt it will rekindle the fire for those who loved this line in years past.

Back