Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

If I had $900 I could have bought mine yesterday at Golf Galaxy. KBS Tours were in that set.

I find it very strange that they are on some store shelves but no info on their website.

Again they look GREAT.

Maybe somebody at that store put them out by mistake, the Golf Galaxy I was at yesterday didn't have them out yet.

Any issues with large gaps in this set? If the mc iron fellas wanna chime in that would be great

But they haven't been released yet. Even by THP standards it is pretty early - they are in the hands of a couple of staffers but not in the hands of testers.

No doubt...by tight I meant information on the TP irons in general. Stock shaft, release date, etc. the fact that some stores broke protocol makes it even more interesting.

No doubt...by tight I meant information on the TP irons in general. Stock shaft, release date, etc. the fact that some stores broke protocol makes it even more interesting.

I haven't seen these show up in the PGA SS nearest to me in the Atlanta area. I look every time I'm in there, which is about weekly.

They do look damn good though, I can't wait to see them in person.

Any issues with large gaps in this set? If the mc iron fellas wanna chime in that would be great

I'm sure once we get them and put them through the ringers we might be able to better chime in

Answered that in my last update.

So, you'll see there isn't a HUGE difference between the SpeedBlade and these. There is a difference though - CB is a little tiny bit smaller everywhere. Does make me wonder a bit about the why's and for who's concerning the CB's, but like I said yesterday it will probably be more of a personal preference thing aesthetically. I will say they feel quite different in hand, as they should considering the shaft I have in the CB's is a good 35g heavier.

Oddly enough, didn't see a big divide in performance between the two today. Came in expecting some sort of sizeable difference in terms of distance on well struck shots and it just wasn't there for me. Well struck balls were almost all in the same general range with all the important launch numbers. I tend to think that's a good thing.

Sound at impact is maybe a bit lower toned than the SpeedBlade.

I caught one thin and got a bit of a stinger. Not the worst I've ever had by any means.

As for gapping up into the MC's (non-slotted), I was seeing 12-ish yards.

T​hanks!

Thanks for the comparison update Hawk. I haven't hit hit any of them yet but I am still leaning towards the CBs I feel

KG

Just Tapping Away

Thanks for the comparison update Hawk. I haven't hit hit any of them yet but I am still leaning towards the CBs I feel

KG

Just Tapping Away

Take the extra forgiveness and run!

Hawk,

I'm wondering if you've had more time to compare/contrast the CB vs. the MC? I've purchased the CBs yesterday and after an extended range session I'm very disappointed in their feel. I currently play 2009 TP cavity backs and picked the CBs because they seemed most similar in size. Do the MCs feel significantly different/better than the CBs? Also, are the MCs greatly more demanding?

thanks!

I actually think the feel is similar. At least in terms of comparison, because the size and shape is a bit different. The sound is a bit deeper for me with the MCs, but only when using a mic.

Hawk,

I'm wondering if you've had more time to compare/contrast the CB vs. the MC? I've purchased the CBs yesterday and after an extended range session I'm very disappointed in their feel. I currently play 2009 TP cavity backs and picked the CBs because they seemed most similar in size. Do the MCs feel significantly different/better than the CBs? Also, are the MCs greatly more demanding?

thanks!

What about the feel was different then the 2009 version out of curiosity???

KG

Just Tapping Away

What about the feel was different then the 2009 version out of curiosity???

KG

Just Tapping Away

I think the 2009 TP feels significantly better than the CB based on my range session yesterday. Don't get me wrong, the 2014 CBs don't feel horrible, just not as solid as I was hoping. They felt "hollow" whereas the 2009 TPs feel more "AP2" solid. That said I know the 2009 may be one of the softest cast clubs ever(along with Maxfli Rev and A-10).

I really like how the 2014 TP line looks, I'm hoping I find that the MC offers more feel.

I think the 2009 TP feels significantly better than the CB based on my range session yesterday. Don't get me wrong, the 2014 CBs don't feel horrible, just not as solid as I was hoping. They felt "hollow" whereas the 2009 TPs feel more "AP2" solid. That said I know the 2009 may be one of the softest cast clubs ever(along with Maxfli Rev and A-10).

I really like how the 2014 TP line looks, I'm hoping I find that the MC offers more feel.

How did the distances and workability seem in the limited time you used them?

KG

Just Tapping Away

How did the distances and workability seem in the limited time you used them?

KG

Just Tapping Away

distances were similar. My 2009s may have been just a few yards longer. The 2014 just felt light and hollow at impact. I'm hoping my next session is more positive. I LOVE the looks of the new TPs, just wondering if I should have purchased the MCs instead.

How are people buying these already? This thread has the most information you can find about them on the net, they're not even on TM's website as "Available on XXX" like they usually do, but yet there's sets in some stores?

It just seems odd.

How are people buying these already? This thread has the most information you can find about them on the net, they're not even on TM's website as "Available on XXX" like they usually do, but yet there's sets in some stores?

It just seems odd.

They were in PGA Superstore here in Atlanta.

I used to have a set of 09TPs and they were the sweetest feeling iron when hit flush. I just couldn't do it often enough back then. Is it the slot in the sole that is making them feel hollow?

I used to have a set of 09TPs and they were the sweetest feeling iron when hit flush. I just couldn't do it often enough back then. Is it the slot in the sole that is making them feel hollow?

The 09TPs are really amazing when it comes to feel! I don't think it's the slot because I liked the feel of the Rocketbladez, just didn't like the inconsistent distances. I'm going to hit the 14TPCBs again today to see of I get different results. I'm going to try and find a 14TPMC to compare as well.

Looks like a trip to the superstore for me
This week to try these bad boys

KG

Just Tapping Away

Back