Official Equipment Pondering Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never intentionally tried to "shape" a shot. I prefer the straight ball, and I think thats another reason I went Apex.. they just want to go straight

I have never intentionally tried to "shape" a shot. I prefer the straight ball, and I think thats another reason I went Apex.. they just want to go straight

It's one of the most overhyped things for amateurs for sure dude, I'd say the other things but that would cause some ruffled feathers.

This thread is awesome today.

agreed...but awesome-ier if some of the pondering made it to their respective threads for everyone to see

It's one of the most overhyped things for amateurs for sure dude, I'd say the other things but that would cause some ruffled feathers.

Hey dude I understand.. I just honestly couldnt care less about being able to hit a draw or a fade. If that happens its by accident haha

Hey dude I understand.. I just honestly couldnt care less about being able to hit a draw or a fade. If that happens its by accident haha

I wish my ball would stop fading so damn much. I almost need to actually start playing a fade to compensate. I have enough issues with making solid contact.

Yes it is. Vastly IMO. If I'm trying to turn shots all the time, I've seriously done something wrong somewhere, but that's just me.

I'm always trying to hit it straight. Forget all the other stuff, if you can't hit it straight 95% of the time, you should probably not be trying to hit a cut or a draw etc etc hahahaha! I tell my dad that all the time and it apparently annoys him.

What I need to find, is a predictable GI iron. Something that if struck on the toe side of center (which is common for me) promotes a similar ball flight. I don't know if the added forgiveness of those types of irons makes for a reduced predictability or if I just haven't spent enough time with that type of head, but many have left me scratching my head when I seek out consistency off that strike.

**shrug** I predict 2014 to be much the same as the last few years. Hunt for the perfect iron head, and await glorious celebration.

I'm always trying to hit it straight. Forget all the other stuff, if you can't hit it straight 95% of the time, you should probably not be trying to hit a cut or a draw etc etc hahahaha! I tell my dad that all the time and it apparently annoys him.

What I need to find, is a predictable GI iron. Something that if struck on the toe side of center (which is common for me) promotes a similar ball flight. I don't know if the added forgiveness of those types of irons makes for a reduced predictability or if I just haven't spent enough time with that type of head, but many have left me scratching my head when I seek out consistency off that strike.

**shrug** I predict 2014 to be much the same as the last few years. Hunt for the perfect iron head, and await glorious celebration.

apex...boom...done

Still something that can be done with any iron IMO. I can hit stingers all day with alts, if you can do that with them, it can be done with any club.

And I can hit straight shanks with Altitudes. You can hit the whole gambit if shots with SGI or GI clubs. They don't discriminate.

apex...boom...done

I hit the Apex Pros in December and really enjoyed them. Have yet to experience all that is Apex.

Also had a chance to compare the TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB/MC/MB 6 irons this past week with ideal shafts. Sadly, aiming for the same green with every iron style, the MBs were not only more accurate, but improved on distance. I was really going in expecting the MCs to win.

workability is overrated anyways. Give me a straight ball all day long -- a consistent straight.

There are some courses where this doesn't work. (Harbor Town comes immediately to mind.) But, in the vast majority of cases, straight plays all day.

Easy golf FTW

There are some courses where this doesn't work. (Harbor Town comes immediately to mind.) But, in the vast majority of cases, straight plays all day.

Easy golf FTW

Hey man, if I play 100 rounds in a year and 95 of them don't make me work the ball, I'm practicing straight shots every time.

I can work it just fine, I'd just rather not hahahaha

What is a fade? That's foreign to my game. I play for a slight draw 99 percent of the time.

Hey man, if I play 100 rounds in a year and 95 of them don't make me work the ball, I'm practicing straight shots every time.

I can work it just fine, I'd just rather not hahahaha

100 rounds.

Adorable.

But absolutely correct.

When I demoed the ping i25 7i it opened my eyes a bunch. Its labeled as GI and it was very very consistent on all swings. A couple toward the toe still sent straight and minimal distance loss. With those kinds of results I can see myself getting over the labels and topline/sole thickness very quickly

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I love reading the thoughts of you guys who have the knowledge and observation to discuss these things.

I'm also in the club of wanting Apex irons so bad I can taste it.

Exactly - and it is also how amazing a club can perform when you get a shaft fitting. I loved my rocketbladez, but there was something always a little off with them. The head was super forgiving, but I always felt my swing was a bit inconsistent with them. Well, going through a fitting and getting fitted for a shaft that was 45g heavier than the one in the Rocketbladez was beyond eye opening. Part of me wishes I had the spare change to throw a set of Nippon Modus 3 Tour 130s in the rocketbladez to see what magic they'd do.

I always thought a lighter shaft was better. Lighter meant more speed = more distance? Well I got schooled big time out at Callaway.

This was a big lesson for me at my recent fitting. The right shaft maximizing the performance of the club and for me, that meant heavier. I've been hitting a ton of clubs lately with all kinds of different shafts, just to see the LM numbers and compare with the numbers from my fitting. It's interesting to see there is a particular weight and shaft profile out there that gives me the best numbers every time.

At any rate, I'm pondering a few iron/shaft combos, but it's gonna take a while to get it sorted out, along with my swing changing from my lessons. At this point, the list looks like this:

Mizuno MP H4 (either Aerotech Steelfiber i80's or Project X graphite 5.5)

Callaway Apex (both steel and graphite shafts feel really good; need more time exploring this)

Bridgestone J40 DPC with Steelfibers (need to find some where to hit these)

Nike Covert 2.0 forged with the steel shaft offering (this is a wild card, but they have taken me by surprise)

TM TP CB's (have only hit these a couple times, need more time to see where these rank)

I love reading the thoughts of you guys who have the knowledge and observation to discuss these things.

I'm also in the club of wanting Apex irons so bad I can taste it.
I have some. I love them. You are going to love them dude, Xhot irons you game now cant even compare (not that they are bad, just shows how incredible the Apex are).

Never? You must never miss a fairway and be behind a tree and want to hit the green.

:)

Im having some serious conflict with a mizuno mp-4/mp-54 combo vs the titleist mb/ap2 set. My loyalty to mizuno might prevent me from getting a better iron...

Just got caught up on all of the awesome in this thread over the last few hours. Good, good stuff.

I pondering a new stand bag. I'm thinking a 2014 Ogio Grom.

And in hopes of not derailing this thread, I'm pondering Apex irons with KBS Tour V shafts 4-AW.

Just got caught up on all of the awesome in this thread over the last few hours. Good, good stuff.

And in hopes of not derailing this thread, I'm pondering Apex irons with KBS Tour V shafts 4-AW.

That sounds amazing. Apex Pro with Tour V is awesome, I'd imagine the regular Apex would be just as excellent, and more forgiving. I don't like the stock Apex shaft, but I love the head.

Check out Goldsmiths front page. Ogio bag on sale

Check out Goldsmiths front page. Ogio bag on sale
Thanks, but I'm pretty sure that's the 2013 model. They've made a few subtle changes to the top for 2014 which I much prefer. Just the way my mind works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back