TaylorMade Tour Preferred MB Irons Review Thread

The secret is in the dirt.

;)

Didn't even have to change them dude, went 1 degree upright to get the toe out of the ground and I was able to see a couple things in the swing that were really messing me up, I barely had any flex in the legs at address which really helped me dig a bit more on the way down with a dip on occasion for some fat shots. Thanks whoever posted video.

Trout I am really enjoying your thoughts on these. I can't believe how sharp they are though. I love a nice sharp leading edge but those look like all you will do is hit some fat shots all day long. That aside they look amazing and I think I really need to try these out. Are you finding it easier to hit your stock shot? Or are you having to change your swing to adjust to the sharp edges?

Trout I am really enjoying your thoughts on these. I can't believe how sharp they are though. I love a nice sharp leading edge but those look like all you will do is hit some fat shots all day long. That aside they look amazing and I think I really need to try these out. Are you finding it easier to hit your stock shot? Or are you having to change your swing to adjust to the sharp edges?

Nope not any harder at all once you figure the out, put the ball just a little left of center in your stance and watch it go :) if you put it towards the middle to middle back of your stance they dig like mad and you'll take divots the size of water buffalo pelts. I'm not a very technical golfer so I can't give you exact science but the ball just moves differently, higher, more precise, the cuts are absolutely perfect. I'll get some video tomorrow on the course so you can get an idea of what I'm saying.

Nope not any harder at all once you figure the out, put the ball just a little left of center in your stance and watch it go :) if you put it towards the middle to middle back of your stance they dig like mad and you'll take divots the size of water buffalo pelts. I'm not a very technical golfer so I can't give you exact science but the ball just moves differently, higher, more precise, the cuts are absolutely perfect. I'll get some video tomorrow on the course so you can get an idea of what I'm saying.

I think I know exactly what you are saying. But watching video of your sweet swing is never a bad thing ;)

Trout you are killing it in this thread! I'm absolutely dying to get ahold of these to get a firsthand look for myself.

I won't lie, I'm not sure if my game is always to the level that I can play these day in/day out, but we shall see. I know I CAN game them....potentially even more often than not. But there are days that the contact just isn't crisp and I need some assistance in the form of a little forgiveness. I can't wait to check these out though!

Thanks guys, these are just like any other iron SGI, GI, or players club, you get exactly out of them what you put into them. If you practice and have a decent tempo you'll find success with these, I'm confident in it.

You can call my confidence gone with these lol, the 3,4, and 5 are like no other long iron out there for me, I hit the long irons better than the short and mid irons and it makes no sense. Two par 3's today one was a 4 iron I stuck to 4 ft at 195 yds with a high cut and the other was a 208 yd 3 iron into a stout wind that went high with a nice cut and landed 6 ft from the cup and sat soft. 6,7, and 8 irons dig into the dirt like no other iron I've hit lol, could you imagine a combo set with blades long irons and CB's mid and short? Unfortunately these won't get the proper time they need to get them straight, I have preparation for the MC coming up and need to focus there, I literally left the course today asking myself what the eff just happened. I love these like no ones business but it's because of how they look and not how they perform, if I take ego out of it and accept that I can still hit a long iron well and move on to a much ,more forgiving club I'll be a much better man for it and a better golfer. They do cut through rough like a weedeater though, that sharp leading is like a blade!

I feel so terrible not contributing but I would be no good until I had a proper lie angle adjustment. My clubs are due back today so they will start getting range time tomorrow and then I will throw them in my bag for my Saturday round.

I feel so terrible not contributing but I would be no good until I had a proper lie angle adjustment. My clubs are due back today so they will start getting range time tomorrow and then I will throw them in my bag for my Saturday round.

Did you send them into the Concierge?

I've been itching to figure the mid irons out in this set and the weather has killed any chances yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The weekend will be in the high 50's or low 60's and maybe I can get out with them once more before I begin the Morgan Cup prep with my old irons, it's really bothering me that these are so difficult to figure out in the mid and short game, it's almost like I don't have the clubhead speed to cut through the turf where as with the long irons the divots are med shallow and about 5 inches long, perfect almost. I don't like leaving anything unfinished or unsolved when it comes to golf, and the questions will linger for a while. But be rest assured that one day I will get them dialed in, they are beautiful, well made, and by far the best long irons I've ever hit in a muscle back. If I can get out with them again I'll post more thoughts then, thanks to TaylorMade and THP again for this opportunity, hopefully my posts have been helpful.

I'd like to bump this and see if any of the other testers have done any testing with these? What are your thoughts so far?

I've been itching to figure the mid irons out in this set and the weather has killed any chances yesterday, today, and tomorrow. The weekend will be in the high 50's or low 60's and maybe I can get out with them once more before I begin the Morgan Cup prep with my old irons, it's really bothering me that these are so difficult to figure out in the mid and short game, it's almost like I don't have the clubhead speed to cut through the turf where as with the long irons the divots are med shallow and about 5 inches long, perfect almost. I don't like leaving anything unfinished or unsolved when it comes to golf, and the questions will linger for a while. But be rest assured that one day I will get them dialed in, they are beautiful, well made, and by far the best long irons I've ever hit in a muscle back. If I can get out with them again I'll post more thoughts then, thanks to TaylorMade and THP again for this opportunity, hopefully my posts have been helpful.

Man, that conversation we had about them being pretty sharp on turf interaction the other day really got me thinking. From what I gather you are very well versed on this style of head.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your next experience with them. I've never really seen a set of the same design that change (in personal experience) from PW to 4 iron in terms of overall turf interaction. I'm really really intrigued.

Also, I found the 6 iron to be absolutely fantastic when I demoed it earlier this month, but never got a good chance to hit anything below. I was very impressed with it.

Is it bad that I would like to hit these some more? Kinda sadistic maybe? Hahaha

Trout, thank you for keeping up your thoughts in here, I mean that.

I'd like to bump this and see if any of the other testers have done any testing with these? What are your thoughts so far?

Taking them out tomorrow for the first time since Mission Inn. Just been a busy couple weeks. It'll be nice to get an idea of them in wetter conditions since it rained all day today for the most part. I figure between time on the range and then on course, I should have a good amount to talk about

Is it bad that I would like to hit these some more? Kinda sadistic maybe? Hahaha

Trout, thank you for keeping up your thoughts in here, I mean that.

I'm the same. Maybe a bit more geared for my brain, but man, these are absolutely stunning irons in hand.

(.......badges or not /sadCanadan)

Any of the testers play the previous set of TM MB's. The 2011 model year. If so, how is turf interaction compare to those? Plus is the top line noticeably different than those as well? I gamed the 2011 MBs for a little over a year. And I really liked them other than I had the wrong shafts in them.

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

Any of the testers play the previous set of TM MB's. The 2011 model year. If so, how is turf interaction compare to those? Plus is the top line noticeably different than those as well? I gamed the 2011 MBs for a little over a year. And I really liked them other than I had the wrong shafts in them.

IMO this TP line top to bottom DOMINATES the 2011 line and it isn't close. That was a very underwhelming line overall both looks and performance for many.

Trout I wonder if maybe you couldn't try and have the leading edges ground down a bit to give it a little more rounder leading edge so it doesn't dig so much.

Or if you did that would it totally screw up the bounce and the overall performance?

IMO this TP line top to bottom DOMINATES the 2011 line and it isn't close. That was a very underwhelming line overall both looks and performance for many.

That's saying a lot considering how awesome the last tp MB set was.

The launch angle off of these is shocking. I've not seen much quite like it out of an MB to be honest.

When I can hit a towering 3i? That be cray cray.

Agreed 10000%. I want to hit all of them so badly!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

I liked them too. But know I would have liked them better if the shafts were better fit for my game. I'm hoping I get a chance to hit these. I'm not in the mindset of changing irons cuz I love my ACP's but I love the looks of these too.

Back