Cleveland 588 Fairway Wood Preview

Dammit Jake. Now I've got this thing on the brain too. I really want to see what a 5w can do for me.

Jake... you are bombing that, dude. Did you ever spend time with the CG Black 3W?
Not enough time to really be able to have an educated opinion of it unfortunately.

Dammit Jake. Now I've got this thing on the brain too. I really want to see what a 5w can do for me.
Yeah dude, I'll bet the 5w is money too. I don't have the best relationship with 5 woods mainly because of my preference in club spacing at the top of my bag but I know a lot of people that swear by them, this would be a great 5w option.

No worries, dude. This is a FW that I MUST try this year.

I got out for some more testing this morning and I like the club even more each time I use it. I'll be honest, I've hit other fw longer than I'm hitting this one, but not by a huge margin. What really impresses me most about this one is just how easy it is to hit it straight. Whether off the tee or off the deck I hit so many balls either dead straight or with just a super slight draw, it is ridiculous! I'm sitting here thinking to myself, dang Cleveland staffers are going to have a hell of a weapon off the tee especially on a course like Caledonia where the premium is on accuracy. The fact that I can still pump this thing out there 245 to 250 yards and has this much contol is downright scary!

I paid a lot more attention to the shaft and how it felt paired with this club and as JB mentioned, they indeed do feel like they were created for one another. Hats off to the Cleveland R&D crew for putting this pair togther. A nice smooth swing is complimented with a great feeling of a nice powerful swing through the ball. Based on my launch numbers I can tell you the shaft holds up great to my swing. As I mentioned most all of my shots were straight with a slight draw, my ball speed averaged around 145 mph with an average swing speed right around 103. Another key stat was my vertical launch angle. It was a lot lower than I expected, especially given the fact that it averaged less than my driver, but the ball still climbs to a nice high altitude before coming in with a nice steep angle of decent.

The more I used this club the more I liked it, and that's saying quite a bit because I liked it a lot from the get go!

Easy to hit straight? Sounds great to me. Glad the shaft pairing is working for you, Jake!

Cleveland 588 Fairway Wood Preview

That's exciting to hear Jake. I love my FW woods to be exactly what you are talking about!! Pumped to see myself!!

That's great to hear. Distance plus straightness is exactly what we all need.

I got out for some more testing this morning and I like the club even more each time I use it. I'll be honest, I've hit other fw longer than I'm hitting this one, but not by a huge margin. What really impresses me most about this one is just how easy it is to hit it straight. Whether off the tee or off the deck I hit so many balls either dead straight or with just a super slight draw, it is ridiculous! I'm sitting here thinking to myself, dang Cleveland staffers are going to have a hell of a weapon off the tee especially on a course like Caledonia where the premium is on accuracy. The fact that I can still pump this thing out there 245 to 250 yards and has this much contol is downright scary!

I paid a lot more attention to the shaft and how it felt paired with this club and as JB mentioned, they indeed do feel like they were created for one another. Hats off to the Cleveland R&D crew for putting this pair togther. A nice smooth swing is complimented with a great feeling of a nice powerful swing through the ball. Based on my launch numbers I can tell you the shaft holds up great to my swing. As I mentioned most all of my shots were straight with a slight draw, my ball speed averaged around 145 mph with an average swing speed right around 103. Another key stat was my vertical launch angle. It was a lot lower than I expected, especially given the fact that it averaged less than my driver, but the ball still climbs to a nice high altitude before coming in with a nice steep angle of decent.

The more I used this club the more I liked it, and that's saying quite a bit because I liked it a lot from the get go!

So this has me very fired up. This is all I want in a FW. Nothing more, nothing less.

Same here man, as soon as I see them at the store I am going to have to try these out. Then I can really see how easy it is to hit them straight.
So this has me very fired up. This is all I want in a FW. Nothing more, nothing less.

Same here man, as soon as I see them at the store I am going to have to try these out. Then I can really see how easy it is to hit them straight.

Me too dude. I have been all over the map the last 3-4 years with FWs. I want one to lock up the spot for the foreseeable future.

Are you looking for it more on the tee or off the tee. My issue has always been hitting a fairway wood out on the fairway. Hopefully with my fairway wood I got the other day will help.
Me too dude. I have been all over the map the last 3-4 years with FWs. I want one to lock up the spot for the foreseeable future.

Are you looking for it more on the tee or off the tee. My issue has always been hitting a fairway wood out on the fairway. Hopefully with my fairway wood I got the other day will help.

Interesting question. I USED to be all about the FW off the deck. Since I have started to play smarter, I rarely use it that way. I am looking to use it mostly off the tee. I am fairly long off the tee and rarely see the need to force it on a par 5 in two. I guess a combo of both would be ideal. That way I'd have the option if I wanted to go for it in two.

Say yea I would love to have one to be able to use on and off. Never have been able to find that yet. Hopefully this one will do that, or not just use a soft driver swing. I know a guy I golf with and on long par 3's he just half swings his driver and it works great.
Interesting question. I USED to be all about the FW off the deck. Since I have started to play smarter, I rarely use it that way. I am looking to use it mostly off the tee. I am fairly long off the tee and rarely see the need to force it on a par 5 in two. I guess a combo of both would be ideal. That way I'd have the option if I wanted to go for it in two.

Say yea I would love to have one to be able to use on and off. Never have been able to find that yet. Hopefully this one will do that, or not just use a soft driver swing. I know a guy I golf with and on long par 3's he just half swings his driver and it works great.

I don't have that in me. I am always impressed when people can take that much off and still hit it where they want to. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy haha. Hopefully this FW is too.

But I thought you said you play it safe earlier for par 5's now your saying your all or nothing lol. Guess when you try this Fairway Wood out you'll really find out who you are lol
I don't have that in me. I am always impressed when people can take that much off and still hit it where they want to. I'm an all or nothing kind of guy haha. Hopefully this FW is too.

So, yea, I was lucky enough to take some swings with this bad boy yesterday. 6 balls to be exact. That was all I needed. I will be finding fairways with this beast come July in Myrtle Beach. It is awesome guys. I have a feeling you will find the same results.

#butter
#long
#excited

Very nice. I'm hoping it reminds me of the old FL fairways.

So, yea, I was lucky enough to take some swings with this bad boy yesterday. 6 balls to be exact. That was all I needed. I will be finding fairways with this beast come July in Myrtle Beach. It is awesome guys. I have a feeling you will find the same results.

#butter
#long
#excited

All kinds of excited about this one. While I didnt spend a ton of time with the 2013 version, I know a ton of MCERS had great success with them, and Im sure the same will be said about these new ones.

#butter
#long
#excited
I bet you are going to love it.

My 3W+ last year was one of my favorites in the bag.

I salivate thinking about this into the 20.5 hybo...wowza.

All kinds of excited about this one. While I didnt spend a ton of time with the 2013 version, I know a ton of MCERS had great success with them, and Im sure the same will be said about these new ones.

I bet you are going to love it.

My 3W+ last year was one of my favorites in the bag.
It's very anti-Classic in a way, which I wasn't expecting. I just have Cleveland and Big combined together with the whole Classic lines. This was thin and long and more aerodynamic and very easy to get up in the air off the tee. I have not hit any off the ground yet.

It's very anti-Classic in a way, which I wasn't expecting. I just have Cleveland and Big combined together with the whole Classic lines. This was thin and long and more aerodynamic and very easy to get up in the air off the tee. I have not hit any off the ground yet.

Yes. This is what I like to hear. That head is really FL-ish.

Reminds me of my CG Black 3W.

#BeagsBombs

Solid offering like the 14* option too!

But I thought you said you play it safe earlier for par 5's now your saying your all or nothing lol. Guess when you try this Fairway Wood out you'll really find out who you are lol

All or nothing on the swing dude. Not necessarily on my game management haha

Back