Cleveland 588 Fairway Wood Preview

Three and five for me sir. Just not sure of 14 or 15.5.

It's all about launch for me and which one I will be getting. If I can get the 15.5 high enough as my current FW wood then it's all good! Let's just say I hope I can cause I think the 18 degree is too high of a loft to serve as my 3 wood!

Nice look and design. Not to flashy. Will be interesting on how this stacks up against previous FW released by Cleveland.

I liked the Launcher FL but the Cleveland offerings afterward were having too tall of a face for me and it looks like this may be the case here too?

My impression was that they are more similar to the FL. Not as tall as the last two.

Hehe, glad I don't have a choice in that matter, being LH :alien:. I'm seriously pondering the 5W though.

Just remember - Tee shots are VITAL at True Blue and Caledonia. For different reasons. On TB it can help you score really well. At Caledonia, it is a must to stay out of trouble. Options off the tee are really solid to have at both courses.

It's all about launch for me and which one I will be getting. If I can get the 15.5 high enough as my current FW wood then it's all good! Let's just say I hope I can cause I think the 18 degree is too high of a loft to serve as my 3 wood!

It might work considering you hit your current 3 wood 700 yards. If this one compares the 5 could work for you.

Three and five for me sir. Just not sure of 14 or 15.5.

Im leaning towards 14, but that may depend on the distances I see compared to my driver since i never use them off the deck

#teemonster

Im leaning towards 14, but that may depend on the distances I see compared to my driver since i never use them off the deck

#teemonster

Good thought here. I toyed with the idea of going 14 last year and in the end didn't adjust mine down. I need to hit both and see. I rarely hit off the deck but I LOVE having the option.

I am fortunate to be able to do a homepage review on this fairway wood. Here are some in hand pics. I cannot wait to get out and hit some balls with this thing, it has such a great looking shape and sets up awesome at address. I like the slightly shallower profile too, makes me think it will be absolutely outstanding off the fairway and light rough.

Pics:

Such a beauty. I like the headcover a bit too! Looking forward to your thoughts, Jake!

That is a thing of beauty. Thanks for the in-hand pics, and I look forward to your initial review thoughts!

Yeah....this looks pretty good. Curious to hear how this performs.

Loving the pictures Jake. Looks like that thing will be a bomber. I like the deeper face but interested how you hit it off of the deck.

Thanks for the awesome pics of the fairway wood Jake.

I was able to over to the simulator today to get some testing in with the 588 3 wood. Before I get into performance I want to talk about the looks. Obviously from the pictures you can see it is a beautiful looking fairway wood, it has a metallic finish that sparkles under some light and it's just such a clean looking golf club it really deserves mentioning. The polished chrome sole and satin finish on the face
contrast that dark crown perfectly. At address the 588 fw sets up really really good, it's hard to explain without seeing it, but it's not a real deep club but it's definitely not shallow/low profile. It just sets up really nice and it really helps instill a lot of confidence before even taking a swing.

I began my testing with some shots off a tee. I didn't tee the ball very high at all which is typical of how I perfer to hit a fw off a tee. I was impressed by the ball flight, a nice high flight that seemed to keep climbing well into the shot before a steep decent with minimal roll out. First few shots went dead straight, and I'm not exagerating, I'm talking dead down the middle of the virtual range I was hitting into. It was pretty cool to watch. The more I hit this the more straight shots I witnessed. It had me starting to question whether or not the launch monitor was picking up on side spin or not. I'd later find out that yes....it was in fact picking up side spin because I hit a few hooks off the face of the earth with my driver in hand. After a while I began hitting shots off the deck, again I was impressed with the accuracy of the 588 more than anything else. It just seems really easy to get square contact with the ball and hit straight shots. I hit a lot of shots with my entire bag and due to it being the middle of winter I was a little rusty but I continually hit solid shot after solid shot with this fw.

Off the deck is where I really liked what I was seeing with this club, take a look at the picture, that's just an example of what I was seeing most of the session. Nice and straight and around 245 to 252 yards off the deck. That is a solid 3 wood distance for me, I'll take that all day long!

Sound and feel were both outstanding, a nice higher pitched sound on those shots connected right on the sweet spot. A feeling of the ball exploding off the face got to the point of addiction, I couldn't put this thing away! I did catch a few shots out toward the toe and I was impressed with the forgiveness. In fact my longest shot of the day with the 588 came on a shot I felt like I connected out toward the toe a little, resulted in a 264 yard 3 wood off the deck, hello!

More testing coming this week, any questions feel free to ask!

P4B, that is great stuff. Similar to what I saw in my few swings with it. It was incredible off the tee for me and the shaft and it was as if the shaft and head were created for one another.

Dang dude. Dispersion looks tight! This thing looks like it might be a winner.

That's incredibly solid Jake. Like, can't wait to hear how on course results sound on top of it solid.

Those are some great looking numbers. Going to have to put some swings on that bad boy with those numbers you are seeing. Thanks for showing that.

Throwing darts...with a wood...off the deck...Jake is a beast.

I look forward to trying this monster off the tee

Wow Jake...everything about that review was music to my ears. Can't wait to get some swings in with this monster.

I didn't know that I could get more excited about this club, but my goodness Jake, you just took it to the next level.

I knew it wouldn't be long until the Cleveland guys would be showing up licking their chops over this one. You guys are fortunate, this thing seems to be money so far!!

Jake... you are bombing that, dude. Did you ever spend time with the CG Black 3W?

Back