Buying equipment or buying game this year?

Golferbest

Reaction score
Handicap
Now this topic has bit brought up from time to time in manh different threads. Figured id try and make a generalized location.
Last night as I was doing my usual searches on O.E.M webpages, I started thinking. With the cost that a good number of golfers spend on equipment throught a year, would some of that money be spent better toward lessons?
I get that there are definitely two sides to this argument. I mean ofcourse some will agree with the lessons and some will want new equipment.
I personally have devoted this year to my game. Not saying I wont by any equipment but I habe made a promise to myself that the first 150-450 will be towards my game. I plan on taking 5 lessons and enrolling in the online s.p.i program through seemore(apon some endepth people who have experienced the process)
So I ask is this year's golf budget going towards equipment or game?

This is the first year that I have dedicated funds to buying more game. It is so easy and fun to buy new gear but for where I want my gamne to go this year, I know I will not get there with out professional help.

A bit of both.

I'll be getting fitted for a driver this year. I really need some short game lessons this year too.

My most expensive purchase(s) will undoubtedly be lessons.

2014:

Money spent on lessons will exceed money spent on equipment for me

Pretty sure thats for the first time

More of my budget this year will go back into my game. After looking at my bag the other night, I realized I have no immediate equipment needs. I even still have like 3 bags of tees and 3 full boxes of balls. I am going to try to play and practice more like I did in the past. It's easy to get caught up in convincing yourself that you need to have all the newest and best stuff. But like my Grandfather used to tell me, it's more about the Carpenter than the tools ....

This is the first year that I have dedicated funds to buying more game. It is so easy and fun to buy new gear but for where I want my gamne to go this year, I know I will not get there with out professional help.

I agree with this. Its the first year I have ever really had a reason to buy more game. In the past I just wanted to go out and have fun. I still want to have fun but I have set my sights on being the best golfer I can at the MC so I am going to put in all the necessary work. I have purchased lessons this year, an orange whip, a putter wheel, putting green in the basement, and a chipping net and some birdie balls for the back yard. Time to put a plan together and make it happen.

Going to try alittle of both. I might take a short game clinic at my local course.

honest answer is that I really don't know. Not sure how much equipment I will buy this year. Have been pretty spoiled the last few years equipment wise. But I have also taken lots of lessons the last 3 seasons as well. Most likely taking a step back from both this year.

Well currently my funds for equipment is higher than what I have spent on lessons. But I am taking lessons now and plan to keep taking them all year. I imagine here soon that amount will be higher than the equipment. Say I would rather be a better golfer with a $15 club then going and buying a $200 club.

I like the topic. The only equipment I am pondering is a putter. The majority of my golf budget will be put towards lessons and practice.

My golf money, this year, will be going to lessons and THP events. I would really like to improve my game this year and equipment is not what I really need. I started lessons in January and have them scheduled through June. If I'm not satisfied with my game at that point, we will see where I go.

Like afwcardinal, I vote for a 3rd option of THP events. That's where most of my golf funds will be spent. :)

Totally towards game, I'm going to join a club and maximize the practice and play dollars to the fullest, then I'll be doing my lesson plan with Ally in MB. The only thing gear wise I'll be buying will be a custom ground set of wedges. My game needs work and work is what it will get.

My bag is pretty much new except for a possible hybrid replacement, Lessons are a definite for me this year....

My most expensive purchase(s) will undoubtedly be lessons.

2014:

Money spent on lessons will exceed money spent on equipment for me

Pretty sure thats for the first time

I'm w/ my teammates here. Lessons are the key for me, as well as a membership to my home course.

Of course, I don't include putters in tally's :alien:

I'm currently planning on spending more money on lessons and playing golf than buying new gear. With the MC, my wife has all but told me no new gear outside of that...

I'm definitely buying more game. I'm pretty happy with my bag right now, and my shiny thing lust will be sated when I get a Bertha at the King. Definitely taking a couple lessons in the upcoming months to get my swing squared away, and hitting the practice area hard on my short game.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

If I spend money outside of greens fees and general golf necessities, it will be on lessons. It will just depend on if I have the time for them.

I'm w/ my teammates here. Lessons are the key for me, as well as a membership to my home course.

Of course, I don't include putters in tally's :alien:

And nobody would dream of counting putters for you, not sure I have enough fingers toes or hairs on my head :).

Its nice to see all these people getting motivated and dedicated to improve their game.

The majority of it to play/practice.

I don't usually spend money on a lot of gear in-season. I really want to up my game this year. so play/practice is where it is at for me.

Lessons for me but only b/c I have been trying to "buy strokes" for the past two years and have come to the realization that it doesn't work like that.

Game for me. I gave up my membership but picked up a range plan at a different course. That, THP events, rounds and a few lessons will be how the majority of my funds will be allocated. May pick up a few things here or there, but pretty set on my bag for now.

My golf budget for this year & the foresable future will break down like this:
1. Lessons - This is the first year I decided to get lessons. So I have dedicated a % of my budget for lessons. I have realized all the shiny arrows in the world do me no good if the indian cant shoot them.
2. Joining a club full time costs way too much & is out of the question. There is a range program that provides for discounted rates so I will be adding that to my monthly budget
3. The next investment will be getting a proper fitting. I plan to visit Club Champion and finally get my numbers on paper on what my bag should look like. I have tinkered way too much in the past with flex & shaft possibilites and I know I have not gotten worse, but still leaves me confused in some areas. I want some clear & concrete numbers to set up my bag. Hopefully this will minimize the "dumb" purchases I have been burned on in the past
4. THP events. At the end of the day it's about having fun. While the first three options will set me up for success long term, I still want to tee it up & tee it up with quality players. THP is the no brainer.
5. Slowly build my bag throughout the year based on my fitting specs. I wish I could do it all at once, but with the kids, mortgage, etc. it just isn't feasable.

****Like many here I reserve the right to buy any putter I want bc I have an illness***** :)

I'm doing both. After a proper fitting, I'm tweaking my bag and plan on taking lessons all year. The fitting really helped me understand what I should be playing and the lessons are something I wish I did with regularity a long time ago.

Taps away

Back