How do you get mentally prepared for tournament play?

Nothing changes for me mentally. I know what I have put into my game and I know what I will get out of it. No amount of mental preparedness will supersede your skill level at the time you play.

When on the course I play one shot at a time, I never get a head of myself and don't worry about my opponent. He or she will play their game and there nothing I can do to control that.

by treating each round the same I am able to stay even and not get to worked up. Extreme highs and lows can kill a match and I know most will be amped for the first 4 or 5 holes. Once they calm down, I have taken the lead and won't give it back because of steady play and emotions.

The first thing I do is identify my weaknesses and make them strengths so I don't have secondary thoughts on the course, doubt = the loss of a hole to me. I will also work on staying within myself on the course and doing homework on the courses. There will always be variables and surprises but the better prepared I am, the less impact they will have. I do not worry about what my opponent is doing either, no matter how good they are playing they will make a mistake and being in a position to capitalize on that is paramount, a calm head will allow me to do that.

Replay all the good shots I hit leading up to the tournament in my mind. Reinforcing only the positive vibes will prepare your mind for the task ahead. Leave the awful shots in the trash bin because if you focus on them, they will reappear quicker than a rabbit in a carrot patch. If your head is clear and positive, you're on your way to a successful day.

Great stuff being written down in this thread. There is enough information in here to write a book on how to mentally prepare and from many different view points.

As for me, I haven't played competitive golf in over 15 years, and I must say mentally preparing will be the most difficult aspect of the game to achieve once again. However, when I did play competitive golf I tried to stay within my game. I didn't go for risk over reward 90% of the time. Most of the tournaments in high school and college were based on scoring and not match play. So the mind set is definitely different between the two.

My eyes will be glued to this thread and the note pad will be handy. Awesome topic Dev.

Music. It's weird, but I put the ear buds in and get into a zone. It has always helped me focus before any athletic competitions.

Once it's time I remember to breathe & just play. Don't think too much. Trust my skills and just play.....and have fun.

...For me its not about matches, but playing with in myself.
So its about teaching myself to practice with a purpose. Work on things I know I will see or think I will see.
And creating certain shots that are go to so when things dont go as planned I have a fall back.

Really like these thoughts, JB.

So with the MC coming up, it's something I have been thinking about a lot. I have never played in any tournament let alone match play. I know I can practice as much as possible but that won't help with the mental aspect of it. So I ask you my fellow THPers, what do you do to get yourself ready for a tournament? Any drills you do? Books you read? Routine you go through?

I haven't made it thru all of the responses, yet, but JB's is spot-on, and is pretty much my approach. A few things I make sure to do... Study the course(s). Get yardages moving backwards from the center of the green (use Google Earth or search BlueGolf.com for the specific course), including any "Uh-Oh!" type hazards. I'll then do the same thing, but starting from the approximated tee box. Plan your shots for the round, especially off the tee. Play your shot shape (when at all possible), and know your miss. If you have a typical miss, then see where that miss could leave you with some work to do, and practice those shots.

One important (and great) thing about the match-play versus stroke-play... If you have a truly crap-riddled hole, you only lose that hole. So, mentally, you do need to be able to throw a bad hole in the garbage immediately, so you don't carry it to the next hole.

If played in a few tournaments and quite a bit of best ball competitions. For the most parts I use 3 things.
1) as most things in life its about the prep. If youve put good time in the prep work it leads to confidence. As JB said practice with a purpose. Aimlessly beating balls wont be effectice compared to maybe plying a course in your head. Maintain your strength and work on your weakness.
2) my advice to myself and anyone that will listen, is you work on the range/practice green, you play on the course. You can take it serious but dont get mad upset or try and rebuild things on the course. You play what you brought that day.
3) I try and keep swing thoughts to a minimum. One bsckswing thought, one downswing thought, hold finish to show balance through swing.

Good question, Dev. Having not played in many competitive tournaments since I was in high school, it's something I'm going to have to revisit leading up to this event. The last 2 years I've played in the city amateur, to get mentally ready, I played my practice rounds with the mentality I'm playing in a tournament and tried to imagine the feeling of playing in one. I think part of being mentally prepared is to put in the practice before the tournament so that you are comfortable with where your game is at. I always want to be confident with my swing, short game, putting, so there is no doubt I can play as well as I want.

This is so good. I learned last year in competitions that I will make enough mistakes without trying to be a hero. My opponent will make them too, so if I take out the hero shots, I can then just try to make fewer than he does.

JM

For me i usually see the benefit on par 5s

I'm going driver 7i wedge

While my opponent tries to get home in 2

I believe out of 4 par 5s i lost 0 won 2 and halved one in sunday singles

A lot of good posts.

I try to play the course in the week before the tournament if possible. Get a plan. I decide ahead of time what clubs I will tee off with so club selection is one less thing I worry about. Obviously a few holes may give you several options. I try to know also what plan B should be if my game is off or weather changes, etc. If it's an unfamiliar course, try to learn where all the OB and hazards are. In a match against someone who doesn't know about hidden dangers it can be huge. I also look at the course on my GPS app. At the range practice with the clubs you will likely use the most.

Everyone is different, some people like to show up and just let the chips fall where they may. I feel more comfortable if I have prepared as much as I have time to. Good luck.

One other thing to add. If you are not accustomed to playing competitive rounds on multiple, consecutive days (in addition to range time), you may want to think about preparing your body to be able to do that. I have played in a couple of 4-day events, and without exception, a large number of the players started fading in the middle to late 3rd day.

Alot of great posts in here. A follow up question if I may. A lot of you guys have these routines and ways to prepare. How long did it take you to figure it out? Is it really just a learning process?

I usually stretch in the locker room after putting on my shoes and listen to some music to pump myself up. Lately it's been music scores from action movies. But once I'm off to the practice tee and green I'm all business and try and block everything bedsides what I'm doing at that moment. Keeping my mind as clear as possible really helps me focus on each and every shot.

Alot of great posts in here. A follow up question if I may. A lot of you guys have these routines and ways to prepare. How long did it take you to figure it out? Is it really just a learning process?

I know when I was playing a lot of tournaments growing up, playing in tournaments was second nature so I really didn't think about my routine. Being older I had to revisit my routine and I think finding something that works best for you comes through experience.

I was very fortunate to be introduced to the game by a great mentor. He was an older gentlmen I just happen to meet at the range. Old school golfer. Anyways, he wasnt a teaching pro or anyrhing but he had played the game for almost his entire life. He had sooo much knowledge and I absobed every piece of it I could. My leave the work at the range is from him. He used to say " you can yell , be red faced mad at the range, but remember you paid to play the course and since your with me you'll show respect for the game , the players and the rules".
As far as getting the routine down and preparing for a tournament, id say it took playing in a few to realize it isnt that much different. Round just seems to take a little longer :)
Your mind cand do terrible things to you, if you let it

I beat my head against a wall.

But in all seriousness I always play money games leading up to a tournament, helps to prepare you for those pressure moments that will come during the tournament.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I like to try and visually play a few rounds in my heads the weeks leading up to a tournament. I specifically try to focus on short putts and see them going all the way in the hole.

I also try to keep a notebook with notes about certain shots or holes to draw memories on.

I feel you can get yourself mentally tough for a tournament without hitting a single shot by using your mind and becoming mentally tough

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I've been thinking about this ever since Ricky posted the question. I am taking this to mean how do I prepare mentally. I play a lot of tournaments, and prepare with practice, researching, scouting, or even playing course(s) in advance. But, I have to say that I have never done much to prepare myself mentally. I have to think more about this, because right now, I have no idea how to do that. Perhaps there's a Rotella book or two that might help with that.

I am still trying to learn to be stronger mentally to overcome when things don't go your way on the course. I have a had time letting go of bad shots. It is an area I am working on.

Playing with MikeDean doesn't help your confidence either.

Play for money as much as possible.
Putt everything out, even in casual rounds.

Good match players can get up & down from anywhere. Really work on pitches/chips from 30 yards in. You won't hit every green in regulation. Constantly watching someone get up/down from everywhere can really knock the opponent for a loop. They just get the feeling that you never let up, you're lucky, etc., and it can force them to press.

If the event is on a course you are not familiar with, I like to use the 150 yard rule. Assuming the fairways don't tighten up around the 150 marker, the plan is to hit every tee shot to that yardage. That way most of the approaches are from similar distances.

Match play is such a different character in golf. It seems to me, some people just get it and others have to learn it. Having played in a number of Match Play events, it really opened my eyes to a different way to approach the game. When you have a strong mental game, the true hole to hole mindset, you can be a great Match Play player. Since it's SO hole to hole, you have to know when to approach a hole with a goal in mind and when to fire at the pin. It's not really even about being a consistent player THAT day, but about taking advantage of what your opponent gives you. Strategy is really the key. So, how do you do this?
You have to understand your strengths and weaknesses on the course you're playing. There are going to be holes where that fit your game better than others. You need to know this before you hit the first tee. Some holes will be flag seeking holes, others you'll need to play it safe. For most of us, Par is going to be your ally, maybe so much it will win you a hole or two. If you come up to a dogleg left Par 4, and you hit a fade....play it to the corner to a point where you can hit a full confident club to the green for your second shot. Putting a ball in the fairway will put more pressure on your opponent, then putting one on the green first, will force them to make a good shot to beat you. KNOW your high percentage shots, and USE THEM. If you can make your opponent play outside of his game, then it will give you the advantage and he will make mistakes that you can take advantage of.

You have to find a way to recreate pressure and stress into you practice sessions/rounds.
Play for something that matters, money, ProV1's, bottle of premium drink, or tank of gas for example. What ever it takes. But it's got to matter. 3 dollars or bragging rights isn't going to work. Get use to playing under pressure however you create it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured it out on day 3 of a 3 day event last year after playing poorly the first two days.

To to the other post, I have found it very true that you have to prepare mentally and physically for a multi day / multi round event. The MC may be different but in some other events I've played many people were spent by the last round.

If the event is on a course you are not familiar with, I like to use the 150 yard rule. Assuming the fairways don't tighten up around the 150 marker, the plan is to hit every tee shot to that yardage. That way most of the approaches are from similar distances.
I like this one.

Thank you everyone that has participated in this thread. Some AWESOME ideas/tips/info. Would love to see some more too.

Back