Bridgestone J40 Wedges

One thing I've been thinking about lately is these wedges have a relatively high amount of bounce. More so than my Vokey's. Bending a 56* to 54* would lower the bounce correct?

You will also see less bounce on balls hit on the heel and toe due to the variable bounce technology.

http://www.bridgestonegolf.com/media/press/2007/2007-01-24-05

You are gonna really enjoy these KC and Jimmy. Great feel and super versatile. I put a PXi 6.0 in my 50° because I knew I would be doing mostly full swings with that club and wanted that club to match the characteristics of my irons. Went with the spinner in the 54° because that is what I usually worked with around the green for pitches, chips, etc.

You will also see less bounce on balls hit on the heel and toe due to the variable bounce technology.

You are gonna really enjoy these KC and Jimmy. Great feel and super versatile. I put a PXi 6.0 in my 50° because I knew I would be doing mostly full swings with that club and wanted that club to match the characteristics of my irons. Went with the spinner in the 54° because that is what I usually worked with around the green for pitches, chips, etc.

That's actually my early plan as well. Iron shaft in a 50* because like you my 50* is more so a full to 3/4 swinging club. Then throw the DG spinner in the 54* and 58* which I think I'll end up having a 60* bent to 58*. Right now the 60* I play has 4* of bounce and anything more than that just completely throws me off for how I like to use the 60*.

Thanks for the info guys. Seems as if I keep my normal routine I'll be fine. I clean my clubs after every shot with a wet and then dry towel and generally clean them after every single use so by the sounds of it I wouldn't really have an issue with rust. Phew!

You should have no issues if that's your normal routine. I'm the same, but only do full cleaning once in a while, and I had zero rust on my Black Ox 56˚.

I like my wedges, I really do. I always find myself yearning for these again though... May be time for some bay sniping.

You should have no issues if that's your normal routine. I'm the same, but only do full cleaning once in a while, and I had zero rust on my Black Ox 56˚.

I like my wedges, I really do. I always find myself yearning for these again though... May be time for some bay sniping.

Awesome thank you for the info bud. I get so anal about my clubs it's kind of ridiculous but glad to know I should be ok!

I'm with you that whatever shaft goes in my irons will go in my 50*. Going to get fit for the other wedge shafts and will see what is recommended.

I see two considerations for MC'rs regarding these wedges.

First, bending the 52* to 50* just doesn't work that well as a way of creating a true gap wedge. You guys will need to manage that. I'm starting to go with a partial swing on the PW to get the distance I should be using the 50* club for. I still like having the 50* for shots around the green. I've seen people talking about carrying two wedges and dropping the 58*. If you only want to carry two wedges I might consider dropping the 52* instead.

Second, there was an adjustment period going from my old wedges to the DG Spinners. The Spinners were heavier, they felt different and distances were different (in other words, they were new / different wedges). Since you are getting the clubs the day before the competition this could be a challenge. If you stick with DG Spinners - and that's a new shaft to you - you might think of it as more of a long term choice. If you don't want to do that, maybe pick shaft that is really similar to whatever you are currently gaming.

First, bending the 52* to 50* just doesn't work that well as a way of creating a true gap wedge. You guys will need to manage that. I'm starting to go with a partial swing on the PW to get the distance I should be using the 50* club for. I still like having the 50* for shots around the green. I've seen people talking about carrying two wedges and dropping the 58*. If you only want to carry two wedges I might consider dropping the 52* instead.

Second, there was an adjustment period going from my old wedges to the DG Spinners. The Spinners were heavier, they felt different and distances were different (in other words, they were new / different wedges). Since you are getting the clubs the day before the competition this could be a challenge. If you stick with DG Spinners - and that's a new shaft to you - you might think of it as more of a long term choice. If you don't want to do that, maybe pick shaft that is really similar to whatever you are currently gaming.

This is all solid advice here guys. I just picked up a pair of these and I'll likely be swapping out shafts for either some CFS or something similar.

Thanks for the input T4K. As for the 52* bent to 50*, I've heard both sides of the argument, some say it works well and others say it doesn't. Definitely a consideration in my mind right now. If someone were to go with a combo set, 47* PW to 52* wedge isn't a big gap, but for some reason 46* to 52* seems huge...

How do you figure bending to 50* doesn't works well for a gap? I've had no issues and have no holes in the bottom of my bag

if it's the same as in year's past guys, you will have their entire shaft catalog to choose from, which should make matching a shaft as easy as possible. Obviously check with your tour rep though to make sure.

How do you figure bending to 50* doesn't works well for a gap? I've had no issues and have no holes in the bottom of my bag

Some people have complained in the last 2 MCs that bending that 52° to 50° was not getting the results that they wanted. It changed the characteristics of the wedge and they weren't seeing the same results. Can't remember what it was. I personally had no problems, but I know a few other guys weren't crazy about how the 50° performed for them.

Thanks for the input T4K. As for the 52* bent to 50*, I've heard both sides of the argument, some say it works well and others say it doesn't. Definitely a consideration in my mind right now. If someone were to go with a combo set, 47* PW to 52* wedge isn't a big gap, but for some reason 46* to 52* seems huge...
As a general rule, when I go to the range I probably spend > 90% of my time with irons and wedges. I have spent a lot of time trying to dial in Pelz and full swing distances with the wedges - way more than I needed to with my RocketBladez (ATVs). I have had enough instances of hitting the 50* on the course and having it come up 10+ yards short but didn't get any feedback to tell me it was a mishit that it affects my confidence in that club on that shot. I'm kind of a Bridgestone homer so I want this to work, but so far it just hasn't. Again, if you were buying them yourselves and didn't have a big event looming I might say go for it and put in some time, you never know maybe your experience will be different. But since you get them the day before the competition...if it was me I'd pretty likely go in a different direction with the configuration of that end of the bag.

I don't know why, Freddie. I really struggled with gaps between the wedges, enough that I ended up taking the wedges in to have the lofts checked (they did need to be adjusted). On full shots with the 50* I've had several instances where it went about 10 yards shorter than it should. I play to a 16 so it could have been me, but it has happened more than once and as near as I can recall it always felt like I struck the ball well.

I don't know why, Freddie. I really struggled with gaps between the wedges, enough that I ended up taking the wedges in to have the lofts checked (they did need to be adjusted). On full shots with the 50* I've had several instances where it went about 10 yards shorter than it should. I play to a 16 so it could have been me, but it has happened more than once and as near as I can recall it always felt like I struck the ball well.

It's not just you, I had the same issues with the 52 bent to 50 on full swings. Should have been a 105-110 club and I could never get it past 95-98. I think the Spinner shaft was hurting it at that point.

It's not just you, I had the same issues with the 52 bent to 50 on full swings. Should have been a 105-110 club and I could never get it past 95-98. I think the Spinner shaft was hurting it at that point.

Ddec ran into the same problem if I recall

Cookie, have you ever tried another shaft to see if there was a difference?

Cookie, have you ever tried another shaft to see if there was a difference?

Unfortunately no. But I can tell you that in my style of play now I would rather have an iron based GW in that spot but I know that's not available with the J40 line currently.

I was also struggling with the 54* bent to 52*. Part of me wondered if the Spinner was the factor. I have a set of KBS Hi Rev I am putting in the set this week so hopefully I can see if it really is a shaft issue on full swings with the lower lofted versions.

Unfortunately no. But I can tell you that in my style of play now I would rather have an iron based GW in that spot but I know that's not available with the J40 line currently.

I'm the exact same way. I wish they offered a DPC AW to fill this spot, but maybe in the J42s. #cookie, any chance you could bring the 52* bent to 50* to the Cowboy Club on the 28th for a few of us Bridgestone staffers to try out in person? I don't know why it wouldn't go the expected distance, but with so many saying they've had problems, I don't doubt you. I do wonder if it isn't the DG spinner shaft though, as Freddie isn't having issues but he switched out the shaft.

I'm the exact same way. I wish they offered a DPC AW to fill this spot, but maybe in the J42s. #cookie, any chance you could bring the 52* bent to 50* to the Cowboy Club on the 28th for a few of us Bridgestone staffers to try out in person? I don't know why it wouldn't go the expected distance, but with so many saying they've had problems, I don't doubt you. I do wonder if it isn't the DG spinner shaft though, as Freddie isn't having issues but he switched out the shaft.

Sorry...I would but mine are in Ohio with Canadan.

With Bridgestone coming out with combo sets, it may not hurt to ask them for a second PW and having it bent weaker to turn it into a GW. It hasn't been allowed in the past, but that may change with the introduction of combo sets this year. What's the worst your tour rep can say? NO! Lol.

Be interesting to see what you guys are allowed to do this year.

With Bridgestone coming out with combo sets, it may not hurt to ask them for a second PW and having it bent weaker to turn it into a GW. It hasn't been allowed in the past, but that may change with the introduction of combo sets this year. What's the worst your tour rep can say? NO! Lol.

Be interesting to see what you guys are allowed to do this year.

I still think I like the idea of having the 52* bent to 50* with whatever iron shafts I decide to go with. I still plan on going 54* and 58* with the DG Spinners tho. Like Dan said there is a reason an OEM pairs up certain shafts with certain club heads. But I've run into the shaft problem with my Vokey as well. Took a lot of bending to get the distance right.

I still think I like the idea of having the 52* bent to 50* with whatever iron shafts I decide to go with. I still plan on going 54* and 58* with the DG Spinners tho. Like Dan said there is a reason an OEM pairs up certain shafts with certain club heads. But I've run into the shaft problem with my Vokey as well. Took a lot of bending to get the distance right.

Im leaning toward beding the 52 to 50 as well.

Edit.
Just pulled the trigger on a 52° black oxide wedge. Will bend to 50 and report back after the weather allows some testing
Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Im leaning toward beding the 52 to 50 as well.

Edit.
Just pulled the trigger on a 52° black oxide wedge. Will bend to 50 and report back after the weather allows some testing
Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Does it have the DG spinner?

After Cookie's explanation about the Spinner being the cause of the problems with the 50* I started pondering what you guys are talking about with the iron shaft. If one of you does it please report back on results.

Last edited:
Back