TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

You really like the CB's, don't you?

Would you say the SpeedBlades have a little more forgiveness than the CB's?

Absolutely I would say that. Not earth shatteringly, but theres def a difference seen.

Its fickle, but the CB's fit my eye better, by all means I could play the SpeedBlades forever and be thrilled though.

Absolutely I would say that. Not earth shatteringly, but theres def a difference seen.

Its fickle, but the CB's fit my eye better, by all means I could play the SpeedBlades forever and be thrilled though.

Gotcha. My SBs have KBS Tour shafts in them, so I'm sure they compare pretty well with the CBs side to side. Would be interesting to try them out, but I don't think I'll have buyers remorse with my set up.

Yeah, I looooooooved the 4i off the tee.

I feel bad for mine, just sitting over there in the corner w CTL's. Kinda sad.

I hate seeing this. I know a fix. :)

If you could, please elaborate on this. If you can handle the 3 iron, why not the rest of the set?

My current 4 iron has the length of the SB 6 iron..., i feel good with the 3i because is off the tee but i wouldn't even try to hit it in the fairway.

I know is all about distance gaps but just like GI Drivers, i feel the stock shafts they put in new GI irons are too long. The 714 AP1's might be an exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My current 4 iron has the length of the SB 6 iron..., i feel good with the 3i because is off the tee but i wouldn't even try to hit it in the fairway.

I know is all about distance gaps but just like GI Drivers, i feel the stock shafts they put in new GI irons are too long. The 714 AP1's might be an exception.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey it's all about what you're comfortable with I guess.

For anyone has has hit both, has anyone found a big difference in the graphite vs steel shafts with these? The Velox are great really stiff graphite, so am curious if there is that big of difference between the two.

For anyone has has hit both, has anyone found a big difference in the graphite vs steel shafts with these? The Velox are great really stiff graphite, so am curious if there is that big of difference between the two.
I have not, but I believe PhillyGolfGuy may have.

I ordered my SpeedBlades a week ago. Anxious to get them in. DG SuperLite S300s per the TM MAT-T fitting. Can't wait.

I ordered my SpeedBlades a week ago. Anxious to get them in. DG SuperLite S300s per the TM MAT-T fitting. Can't wait.

Congrats! Solid set for sure, one of my favorites of the last couple years in fact. Be sure to update us on your thoughts!

Congrats and keep us updated. Sounds like a very nice setup for sure!

Anyone playing these in the NS Pro 950s in stiff? the stock stiff shaft is just too light for me. I like lightweight shafts, but would prefer being around 100 grams, 85 is very light. Thanks.

I have had both. For me, I had a lot more success with the graphite and found them much more forgiving than the steel. I have grown accustomed to the steel shafts now and think they are a great offering if you like light steel shafts, but the graphite are much easier to hit for me, even if you want to go after it a little. Really though, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Has anyone had any experience with different shaft combos in their Speedblades? I just put DG Spinners in my AW and SW and danged if the launch angles and shot heights didn't DROP, as well as leaking a bit of distance too (I think). I didn't think those stock 85 g shafts contributed that much to the HIGH SB launch that we love, but I guess I was wrong. I'm about ready to pull them and stick the 85s back in.

Has anyone had any experience with different shaft combos in their Speedblades? I just put DG Spinners in my AW and SW and danged if the launch angles and shot heights didn't DROP, as well as leaking a bit of distance too (I think). I didn't think those stock 85 g shafts contributed that much to the HIGH SB launch that we love, but I guess I was wrong. I'm about ready to pull them and stick the 85s back in.
The Spinners are a bit heavier than what was in there, and the Spinners WILL lower your launch with those wedges. I am a huge fan of the spinners, but IMO they must be paired with the right wedge head to get the best results.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm going to hit them side by side with my current ATV's and see which I like better, which stop faster, but right now I'm thinking the Spinners were a mistake with these clubs. If I don't like them, I'll just resell as is, I guess. I put SB original grips back on them so they look nice, but the ATV's work great so there's no urgency to switch.

I have had both. For me, I had a lot more success with the graphite and found them much more forgiving than the steel. I have grown accustomed to the steel shafts now and think they are a great offering if you like light steel shafts, but the graphite are much easier to hit for me, even if you want to go after it a little. Really though, you couldn't go wrong with either one.

Cool. Appreciate the feedback. I have the graphite in stiff and hit them pretty well. I, like maybe many guys that play graphite I'd think, just occasionally ponder making the switch up to steel. Probably need to drop about 10 strokes off my handicap before doing that though! ha.

Out of the blue...these popped in to my head...now I can't stop thinking about maximizing distance and forgiveness. I was all set for one of the Tour Preferred irons, but...the reviews are quite compelling.

Out of the blue...these popped in to my head...now I can't stop thinking about maximizing distance and forgiveness. I was all set for one of the Tour Preferred irons, but...the reviews are quite compelling.

They should be in your thoughts, they are a fantastic set of irons.

I could easily game these full time and be completely happy.

They should be in your thoughts, they are a fantastic set of irons.

I could easily game these full time and be completely happy.

Agreed, and IMHO the best set of irons TM has put out in years. Long, forgiving, they can do it all.

Agreed, and IMHO the best set of irons TM has put out in years. Long, forgiving, they can do it all.

I've never played irons that by themselves made a bigger difference to my game so immediately. Longer, higher, straighter...I feel like i'm cheating.

They have been in my thoughts ever since I was selected as a TM rep. I know I don't have the game for TP irons, but it will be interesting to see which way better plays like yourself end up going.

I just talked with one of my golfing buddies, and he just tried the SB just to feel them out as he knew I just bought a set. He games Mizuno, but was very impressed with the SB. He said there long, yet still launched high. He said he could feel the ball compress as he hit. He's a 5 handicap, and would have no problem using them. Then he said again, very impressed.

Decided to make the switch to these as well. Picked them up from a buddy of mine in a trade. Love the distance/height/and forgiveness, especially in the long irons. Might put the Nippon 950s in rather than the stock stiffs. Get up to the 100g weight. The stock stiffs are just a little too light for me I think. But havent fully decided yet. Excited for the spring here

I too have never hit irons that were so instantly, obviously a leap above what I was playing before in nearly all respects.

Forget about the freakishly long 15 yard gains from PW to 4 iron, I've never hit shots so high or so straight before. I'd say these made a 2-3 stroke improvement in my hcp at the end of last year. Those strokes peeled away largely because of the vast improvements the SB's gave me out of fairway bunkers and thin lies. For me, if I hit a fairway bunker, I was probably going to clip the lip or lay up for a 5 or worse. Now I can actually hit greens. Do that just once or twice a round and you notice it. Also, my home course has 4 par fives that have always been driver/3 wood for me. Now with a simultaneous bump in driver distance combined with the SB's, 3 of them are driver/iron.

I can't say enough about them. I just wish they didn't have the blue zigzags. Don't hit balls high on their faces, though. CLANK!

Overall, I agree with Martsy -- hitting Speedblades feels like cheating. It's hard to believe that they can go so high, far, straight and stop so fast with doing anything different with your swing. This is one case where yes, you really can "buy a game".

Last edited:
Back