Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Iron Review Thread

I can do work with those CBs, dude. Slap some Tour 90s in them, and let me take down .com

Will take more than a set of sexy, satin coated irons with lightweight, high launching shafts to do that. But to be safe, we're going to make sure you can't pick them as an option. Not on the USGA approved list or something.

Out of curiosity, (and to bring this derailing back on track) do you think the MC's with the Tour 90 would have been on the ponder list had you had an opportunity to try that combo?

Will take more than a set of sexy, satin coated irons with lightweight, high launching shafts to do that. But to be safe, we're going to make sure you can't pick them as an option. Not on the USGA approved list or something.

Out of curiosity, (and to bring this derailing back on track) do you think the MC's with the Tour 90 would have been on the ponder list had you had an opportunity to try that combo?

For sure dude, and it was mentioned a page or two back in this thread, I believe (could have been the CB thread).

The MC irons with a light weight shaft could also be a great fit for me, but with what the TM guys told me that weekend as to what the CBs could offer me (Read: Better launch, better spin, better ball speed), I just dont see a reason not to game the CBs with a shaft that I love.

I would really enjoy putting them to the test, side by side, as that would be quite fun and would be quite telling about what a shaft change could do for me. However, I just feel the CBs are a better option for me at the moment.

My irons are shipping out 2/10 2nd Day Air. I like that. Not like I need them, but I like that I will have them.

My irons are shipping out 2/10 2nd Day Air. I like that. Not like I need them, but I like that I will have them.

You should send them to Atlanta. I'll lovingly care for them until your area thaws in June.

You should send them to Atlanta. I'll lovingly care for them until your area thaws in June.

Come and get them. Since there is snow on the roads up here, I will just look for the rental car that isn't moving. I will know its being driven by a Georgian.

I'm so ready to get back out on the course with the MCs. One last round with the current setup before the new ones arrive on Monday.

Still blown away by getting a completely new set.

I'm so ready to get back out on the course with the MCs. One last round with the current setup before the new ones arrive on Monday.

Still blown away by getting a completely new set.

You're not joking. I'm really excite just to get onto a monitor and see if there's a difference.

Past Updates: bit.ly/19YaJmB and bit.ly/1eO74aW

Got in one more round with my current setup yesterday. I really wanted to work on long irons from off of the tee and on the fairway. I've always been pretty scared of the 3-iron, but since I really struggle with FW metals off of the tee, I need to have a go-to club that I can put out there whenever I'm struggling with the driver. The 4-iron is great, but only gets me out there to about 200-210. Here's what I saw.

Long Irons: I pulled 3-iron 3 times on Sunday and hit the fairway 2/3 times with a mid, but much higher than normal for me, ball flight that put me out about 210-215 yards. My one miss was a push to the right, but still good distance and straight. That seems to be my miss with the long/mid irons, but that's from working on a new grip. Still struggling with the 3-iron from the fairway, but the 4 and the 5 have been solid.

Mid Irons: The 7-iron in this set is the highlight for me. I can hit it anywhere from 150-170 with a high baby fade that usually stops pretty close to its ball mark. It's really fun to hit. It's my go-to club right now. One example: I had to pitch out after a bad drive to about 165 to a back right hole location. Aimed dead center of the green and tried to hit a cut with the 7. Nice high fade that landed just short left of the flag, but took nasty hop and ended up just off to the side of the green. Still was a really good shot and it feel really, really good when struck well.

Short Irons: I was worried about the gap between my PW and 52 would put me in some tough club choices because I have a 50* AW in my set of R11s. The AW is usually my 130 club, with PW being about 140 and 52* being about 120. Shot of the day and tough luck shot of the day both came within this yardage. First the bad: short par-3 over water all carry. (Think 17 at Sawgrass, but without the island green) Hole was cut just past the bunker and it was lasered at 122. I went with the 52* because I didn't want to be long and have a pitch back down toward the water. Hit a great shot that I thought was going to be all over the flag, but landed 3 foot short of the hole on the fringe and spun back just enough to trickle down in the water. Re-teed with an easy PW and hit it to 5 foot. Very frustrating, but definitely put that one in the back of my mind for a later time. Now the good: On 17, I had 130 a little up the hill to a pin that was maybe 2 paces from the front of the green over a bunker. Hit a PW that landed in the fringe and hopped forward to about 3 foot for an easy birdie.

Overall, I've really liked this setup from the shafts to the grips, but I'm looking forward to the Tour 90s and midsize grips. I may sneak out for a range session before I box up the 'old' ones to do a comparison.

Thanks again to THP and TaylorMade for getting these great irons in my hands. They're really fun to hit. If you have any questions, let me know!

Hit the MCs and the CBs tonight at Roger Dunn and I was surprised to find I like the MCs better than the CB... The MC just felt better to me, the CB a little clicky, I don't know why. Both had the KBS Tour 90 in them and while I like the look of the CB cavity better, the MC just looks so good at address. Either way, the whole line is sweet, just thought I'd share a little. For those of you getting them, enjoy!!

Hit the MCs and the CBs tonight at Roger Dunn and I was surprised to find I like the MCs better than the CB... The MC just felt better to me, the CB a little clicky, I don't know why. Both had the KBS Tour 90 in them and while I like the look of the CB cavity better, the MC just looks so good at address. Either way, the whole line is sweet, just thought I'd share a little. For those of you getting them, enjoy!!

Interesting that they had the Tour 90s in them. Seems to be a popular pairing.

Big shout out to KBS Shafts. I sent them a tweet asking if they sold shaft labels because TaylorMade sent my MCs with Tour 90 shafts with the KBS TaylorMade 90 shaft labels. They quickly replied saying they would send me a set of labels for free and provided an email address for me to contact them with my shipping address. Awesome customer service.

Thanks also go to Jman and Hawk for quickly easing my worries about TaylorMade possibly sending me the wrong shafts. TaylorMade 90 shafts wouldn't fit in the MCs. Thanks for the explanation, guys!

Pics to come...

I am working on a nice little (picture loaded) update...

Hello there. 3i-4i CBs. 5i-7i MCs. 8i-PW MBs.

1/4" long, 1° flat, KBS Tour shafts. Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound +4 Wraps

8i (mb) 6i (MC) 3i (CB)

Last edited:
Great looking set, Joe. I'll bet that combo set will suit you just fine.

WOW, that combo set is sexy. I'm dying to get a set of these in my bag, but I think I will settle for some Tour Vs in my AP2s for now. The dispersion difference between the KBS and the S300 was night and day for me. So psyched to hear how you guys like these TPs over time!

Hello there. 3i-4i CBs. 5i-7i MCs. 8i-PW MBs.

1/4" long, 1° flat, KBS Tour shafts. Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound +4 Wraps

8i (mb) 6i (MC) 3i (CB)

Awesome set, I've got the same idea, but 8-PW as MB.

I'm a fan of the MC and the way they designed it. TaylorMade did an excellent job with the over all package. The club has a great look, good weight, launches the ball and has great turf interaction.

Incredible set Joe, really cool that they allowed you to do that.

Incredible set Joe, really cool that they allowed you to do that.

I'm a bit amazed actually. It will be fun playing them.

Nice set Joe. Looks awesome.

Did you think that the increased playability of the MB was worth any extra forgiveness of the MC at the bottom of the set? I have not even tried to hit the MBs because they look too hard to hit.

Love that setup, Blu. I would've went white/black in my grip as well if they would've had it in midsize.

Back