Augusta National loses Eisenhower Tree

coers

@andrewcoers
Reaction score
Groveland,IL Central Illinois/Just south of Peoria
Handicap
very sad news there. they'll have something up in no time to make the 17th similar.

Hated to hear they lost Ike's tree, but I won't surprise me one bit if there isn't a pretty large tree in the same place.

Never immune to change, the Augusta National may already have a near replica of the Eisenhower loblolly pine in the exact same spot, but there is also the possibility that a new Eisenhower pine will be placed a little farther off the tee to more nearly replicate how the hole used to play before hi-tech drivers largely rendered the original tree to be little more than a decoration.

Definitely sad news.

The tree has been delivered to my saw mill and a variety of woodsheds of all size and color will be available at a THP event near you :thumb:

The tree has been delivered to my saw mill and a variety of woodsheds of all size and color will be available at a THP event near you :thumb:

How many board feet? I would imagine a coffee table from the tree would cost a small fortune.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

How many board feet? I would imagine a coffee table from the tree would cost a small fortune.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Don't you know it! It would definitely be a souvenir for the ages huh?

I guess Eisenhower's wishes were finally granted...sad to hear about a piece of golf history that is now gone.

They already screwed the course up making it so long so another change is no big deal to me. Mother nature is in charge, even at Augusta National.....

I imagine Louisville Golf will be making commemorative putter heads from some of the wood in this tree. These are real beauties.

I really hated to see this yesterday, it is like Slammin'Sam said it was purely a traditional thing now as far as the tournament goes because the pros put the ball well past it.

This is such horrible news for a Augusta national! I'm sure they will come up with some way to replace the memories

I'm no expert, but I'm confident that there will be nothing there for at least this years Masters. Would almost guarantee it. Don't see how you can just simply replace a tree of this size. Especially in this weather. Actually, now that I think about it, how could they possibly do it at all? Don't these trees takes years and years and years to grow to these sizes? You sure as hell can't just implant a replacement...

I'm no expert, but I'm confident that there will be nothing there for at least this years Masters. Would almost guarantee it. Don't see how you can just simply replace a tree of this size. Especially in this weather. Actually, now that I think about it, how could they possibly do it at all? Don't these trees takes years and years and years to grow to these sizes? You sure as hell can't just implant a replacement...

They cannot typically move 150 year old trees, but you might be surprised at what can be moved. It's entirely possible they could move a 60 foot high tree from another location on site. It would also be better to do during a dormant period than while the tree is just getting started this Spring.

Remember money is literally no object for this club....

It will be interesting to see what they do. The whole golf world is watching, and egos are very large at Augusta.

A tree that size would be extremely difficult. But think abut this. Companies like Disney plant and move large trees all the time. We may not see it this year, but it's. A possibility in years to come. World wide tree moving in Michigan moved huge trees http://www.treemoving.com/index.htm

A tree that size would be extremely difficult. But think abut this. Companies like Disney plant and move large trees all the time. We may not see it this year, but it's. A possibility in years to come. World wide tree moving in Michigan moved huge trees http://www.treemoving.com/index.htm

Oddly enough, but I have actually heard of this company. We contacted them about moving a few trees at our course that are huge. They are no joke at all. My money's on a new tree for Ike for when the magnolias bloom.

Oddly enough, but I have actually heard of this company. We contacted them about moving a few trees at our course that are huge. They are no joke at all. My money's on a new tree for Ike for when the magnolias bloom.

You think they'll get it done in time?

I suppose it IS the Masters. They pretty much just do.

What if they just erected a huge fake tree just like the one that was there. Then it wold be ready for this year.

What if they just erected a huge fake tree just like the one that was there. Then it wold be ready for this year.

Augusta National doesn't do anything fake though. If they decide to have a replacement, there'll be one there. If they don't, 17 just got a lot easier this year.

I'm curious to see what they do with the wood from the tree. Hopefully they make some furniture or something like that from it. I'd like to see them sell it and give the money to golf related charities like The First Tee. I'd personally pay a chunk to have a coffee table from it. Or maybe a clock for my office.

It was funny watching the media try to act like it was so horrible and trying to get a reaction from the pros.

Anybody ever hear if they ever did anything about this and replaced the tree?

Back