How cold is too cold?

Schick

Reaction score
Handicap
hazards
Here in central Indiana we've had the snowiest meteorological winter ever and finally all but the piles of snow have melted. Sadly it's suppose to turn cold again next week but not snow too much. With high temps next week in the mid 20s my question is "How cold can it get before you start to worry about damage to your equipment?" I've made a few purchases this winter and itching to the bone to hit balls outside!

My rule of thumb is... mid 40's and no wind, I'm out there.

I played this year at -15* Celcius so I can safely say I have no idea how cold is too cold. If I can work in it (which I have to) why the heck can't I golf in it?

How cold is too cold?

I live north of you and I have a new bag as well, sadly it won't be anytime soon that we can get out.

If you want to brave the cold temps I say go for it but personally it has to be over 40° for me even to think about it. I don't think your equipment will have to much harm but they certainly won't like you. Haha

40 degrees is about my baseline as well. I've played a few rounds in the 30's, and it just isn't enjoyable AT ALL. Can't answer specifically about damage to your equipment, but I can speak to damage of my will to play.......

Anything in the 40's, high 30's with no wind and sun is shining. I swing outside as low as the 20's, but only for like 10 minutes at a time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have gotten away with playing in mid-40s and wind but that is where I draw the line. With the cold and snow we had this winter, I don't see getting out until late March, early April.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Played last year when it was 34° at the course, man was it cold. I think wearing two gloves really messed up my game and I know the cold did. But yeah 34 is the lowest I'll go.

It's amazing how much colder it feels with any wind. I think I'd have to figure in the wind chill temp.
I've started rounds in the 30's no wind and sun no problem. Played 50 degree rounds and windy
and it was less enjoyable.

I've become the golfer I used to make fun of lol, I won't play below 50 anymore, I just can't swing with a bunch of junk on. When I did play in the cold nothing ever happened to any gear, I never had a problem.

Last edited:
If we are strictly talking equipment preservation, then you will be just fine, as long as your not hitting balls that have been sitting outside and have essentially become stones.

I've become the golfer I used to make fun of lol, I won't play below 50 anymore, I just can't swing with a bunch of junk on.

So you have become the smart golfer. :angel:

North Dakota is changing my answer to this. I want to play

That mean a smart golfer like you JB would not play with the temp below 50°??
So you have become the smart golfer. :angel:

40 is my temp cut off pretty much. Add wind and that's 45.

If I didn't play in temps under 50*, I would only get to play a few times each year. :alien:

After a winter like this, I'll go a few degrees colder just to get out there.

Last time i was able to play was saturday after thanksgiving, mid 40s a lot of sun and no wind that was with old clubs. The stir craziness has settled in so bad im chipping real golf balls onto my couch. Wife ain't too happy so i as long as i wont damage my new clubs im going to try it....just wanted to ask some folks with more knowledge for advice! Thanks THP!!!

I play when it's above 40 degrees. But, generally with a cart heater, and our carts have side curtains. If the wind isn't too strong, it's not bad at all.

Not if I can help it.

I don't blame you. Say if your not comfortable out there your not going to play well and not going to enjoy it. Say it was 53 yesterday at the range and I was in short sleeves it felt so good after the winter we've had.

At this point, I'm thinking that the 30s would be enough, I'm sick of this winter. I'm getting my 588 Custom in next week...just in time for the polar vortex to hit the area. :banghead:

Up this way it is never too cold, but you can't play in snow.

While I know you won't damage your equipment I am always nervous about it when it is cold. I never hit cold range balls only balls that have been in the house overnight.

Anything below 50*, and I am not really digging being on the course.

Mid 50s with no wind is alright.

First number is a 4...I'm game

Back