My TaylorMade Performance Lab (TMPL fitting)

#Cookie

Grinder
Reaction score
Handicap
Warning: all photos are in spoilers at end of thread. It's a long read but hope you enjoy it!!!

Yesterday was the big day that I had been looking forward to for several weeks. I had an appointment for 2:30PM at the TaylorMade Performance Lab located on the premises of Glen Eagles Country Club in Plano, TX with TaylorMade Lab Manager/Master Club Fitting Professional Ryan Tolentino. Ryan has been with TaylorMade for 6 years and has been at this location for 1 year after previously doing fitting for special events across the country. From the first handshake, I felt very welcome and that Ryan enjoyed having me there.

I arrived around 2:10 and headed into the building where quickly I met Ryan and we got started. He had asked me to bring my own clubs for a baseline and we headed over to the range for me to warm up. He let me take my time where I warmed up with a 9i and 6i. Ryan then wanted to know about my game and we discussed everything from current handicap to strengths/weaknesses to what clubs I had played over the last few years. He put a focus on what my current miss was with my irons which right now is a push block right. After I warmed up nicely we headed inside for some MATT action.

From the get go outside, we had started to not only discuss clubs and my game but also Hackers Paradise and all of the events that we have going on, spent several minutes talking about the TM TP weekend in Florida and how TaylorMade has partnered with THP for various events including the Tour Preferred program which included the locker and irons, etc. Once hooked up to the MATT, we went through the motion analysis program and got some great numbers to work off of based on speeds/angle of attack, etc (pics will be at end of thread with numbers/info). After the MATT session, Ryan showed me something that I had no idea I was doing. He said that I have a really high hand speed (19 MPH) which is 4-5 MPH higher than most people BUT that I was flipping through the impact zone which was causing me to cast a little bit. He showed me 2 different drills to work on and suggested I pick up a smash bag as well (which I ordered last night). Can’t tell you how happy I was to be getting a “mini lesson” essentially from Ryan – absolutely made my day!

The MATT session concluded and Ryan had me hit some shots with my current 7i (J40 DPC w/PX 5.5 flighted shaft). I was striking the ball well but Ryan saw that my launch was a little bit high and he feared that while the shots looked good that they would hit the apex and just drop straight down and that this could pose issues especially into the wind not to mention I was leaving some distance on the table. Launch was around 22.5* on average with a carry of 145 with another 4-7 yards of roll.

Based on all of this data, Ryan had 2 shafts he wanted me to try in the CB 7i head: PXi 5.5 and SteelFiber i95’s. He wanted me in a slightly lighter shaft than I had in addition to something stable that would bring the flight down. Ultimately, I would proceed to hit great shot after great shot with both of these with little to no difference in feel for me. And then it was time to move outside.

We headed to the opposite end of the range away from all the other golfers. It was in an open area, temps around 50* and a nice chilly north breeze moving in on us. And then my struggles began……fat shot after fat shot regardless of what club/shaft combo was in my hands. Ryan knew I was getting frustrated so it was time for lesson #2 – my POSTURE. I have a habit of maintaining a lot of bend in my knees but this makes timing extremely difficult. Ryan wanted me MUCH more upright than I was so we worked on that for a bit (he even snapped before/after photos for me to reference). While I still had some struggles, I also hit some beautiful shots when the changes clicked. Temps continued to drop, it got even chillier but Ryan did not rush me at all – he wanted to see me hit good shots in a better posture.

We headed back inside and discussed everything. We mutually agreed that the CB’s with PXi 5.5 and 1* up would be best for me as they had better dispersion both side to side and length of shot. I also expect to pickup around 5-8 yards with this change and the 1* up should help with my push blocks. I will be calling today to place the order for the 4-AW.

Closing thoughts: In no way do I see how the fitting could’ve been any better, Ryan was absolutely fantastic to work with and I highly recommend him for anyone in the DFW area needing a fitting – I would pay to visit him again without question. The fact that I had struggles outside was a good thing for me because Ryan saw what was happening and wanted to help me fix it and for that I can’t thank him enough!!

Random thoughts: as mentioned, we talked THP and the golf industry quite a bit. He mentioned TO (Tom Olavsky) being a BIG loss for TM when he moved to Cobra. He asked if I knew Harry Arnett (which I am lucky enough to have met) and said he is one of the funniest but also smartest guys that he has ever known. Said that Harry has respect in the industry beyond belief and is one guy you never want to speak after at a conference as you will be a “letdown” after Harry. :)

Onto some photos!!

Spoiler

Facility:

Front Desk:

Waiting area:

Hallway to Lab:

Warmup area (was hitting off mats):

Putting mat inside lab:

Fitting heads:

New wedges:

TMPL bag:

Big screen where you got shot info:

Fitting shafts:

TMPL fitting 6i for MATT system:

PXi 5.5 w/CB 7i:

SteelFiber i95 w/CB 7i:

Grass area where I hit from with both irons:

My normal posture:

My new posture that Ryan wants to see:

And a SWEET TMPL fitting hat for me to keep!

Love it Cookie. So glad that they took good care of you. Cant tell people enough how great these guys were to work with.

Great writeup Cookie and thanks for including some pics of the experience. What kind of results did you see with the Aerotechs compared to the eventual winner?

Wow Cookie thanks for sharing that, sounds like you had a great time and really found out some things about your swing and posture. If this was something close to me I would defiantly jump on this and try it out. This is a great thing that Taylormade is doing for us golfers.

Wow, that was quite a change in posture! Love to hear that Ryan was thorough and willing to take as much time as needed to get you fit right Cookie. Great read.

Awesome, Cookie. Truly a Tour Preferred experience, there. Great recap!

Sounds like a great experience from a very knowledgeable fitter. Thanks for the write up Cookie.

Great writeup Cookie and thanks for including some pics of the experience. What kind of results did you see with the Aerotechs compared to the eventual winner?

They were really quite similar. Biggest differences:

Tad higher launch in PXi
Less average side spin in PXi (301 average on aero to 112 average in PXi)
Less distance gap in PXi when comparing shortest shots to longest shots

I couldn't tell a difference in feel so really the better dispersion made the difference for me.

Great write-up, great pics.

Awesome writeup cookie! Sounds like a lot of fun.

One question…which drills did he give you to work on with the smash bag to combat the casting/flipping if the hands you were struggling with?

Great thoughts Cookie. It's great how not only do you get a fitting, but most fitters at the performance centres offer up small tips. It's really the ultimate package.

Great write up #Cookie! Looks like you had a lot of fun and also took away quite a bit. I do notice a big change in your posture and I really hope it works out better for you.

Awesome Michael, looks like an incredible experience.

Great write up #Cookie! I'm glad you were able to get fit, but more importantly had the session with a great fitter who was not looking to rush you at all. If you are like me once you started hitting bad shots and couldn't get it turned around, you start pressing a bit and wonder what the heck you are doing there. Good to see Ryan take the time to help you out to make sure you were fitted the best you could be.

I freaking LOVE the posture change pics.

Cookie, thank you for sharing the experience buddy!

Awesome writeup cookie! Sounds like a lot of fun.

One question…which drills did he give you to work on with the smash bag to combat the casting/flipping if the hands you were struggling with?

I'll show you this weekend. Tough to write out.

Great write-up cookie! I've been awaiting your thoughts on the fitting, and you did not disappoint!

I'll show you this weekend. Tough to write out.
Sounds good. I have the same cast/flip issue, and I was given a smash bag drill in my lesson the other night, and am just curious if it is the same or not.

FRIDAY buddy.

What a great review Cookie! It really sounds like they make each one of these fittings individual and engage the right way with people. That's fantastic.

Awesome read. Sounds a great expericence and nice walk through of your swing.

A really good read Cookie. I know you were overly excited for this fitting. Few questions for you. Did you guys look at extra length for the shaft at all? 1 degree up what you normally play? Also was this your first time getting some good work in with the PXi shaft and would you have considered it going in to the fitting?

My TaylorMade Performance Lab (TMPL fitting)

A really good read Cookie. I know you were overly excited for this fitting. Few questions for you. Did you guys look at extra length for the shaft at all? 1 degree up what you normally play? Also was this your first time getting some good work in with the PXi shaft and would you have considered it going in to the fitting?

Did you guys look at extra length for the shaft at all?

We did not, unsure of reason

1 degree up what you normally play?

No, always played stock everything

Also was this your first time getting some good work in with the PXi shaft and would you have considered it going in to the fitting?

It was my first time and it wasn't on my radar. I wanted to go with the fitting but was 90% set on the SteelFibers based on how much I liked them in the J40's.

Alas, I asked what he would put me into if he had to choose one and he said PXi so I'm sticking with it.

Did you guys look at extra length for the shaft at all?

We did not, unsure of reason

1 degree up what you normally play?

No, always played stock everything

Also was this your first time getting some good work in with the PXi shaft and would you have considered it going in to the fitting?

It was my first time and it wasn't on my radar. I wanted to go with the fitting but was 90% set on the SteelFibers based on how much I liked them in the J40's.

Alas, I asked what he would put me into if he had to choose one and he said PXi so I'm sticking with it.

good stuff!

Awesome write-up Cookie, glad you enjoyed it. Really cool you got the mini lesson as well.

Awesome summary, and congrats and the fitting. Best of luck with the new irons and stance.

Back