Go for the win or tie?

Mmaynard11

Grandaddy Captain Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Okay not to piggyback off JB, but his thread got me thinking how I would handle the following situation in an event, whether it be match play or a stroke play event.

You are on the 18th fairway with 210 yards left over water (195 carry) brisk wind in the face. Depending on the event you are currently tied with the clubhouse leader or the match is tied. Do you go for the win or play it safe giving yourself the chance to tie?

Honestly for me I think it depends on how well my ball striking has been throughout the round, pin position, and hypothetically if this is match play what my opponent does. If all of the above point in a positive direction I think I go for the win.

Where does your mind have you doing?

With the brisk wind factor, I am playing it safe for the tie and rake my chances in sudden death or whatever the tie breaking format is. Without the wind factor, I am going for the win as that distance would be in my 5 wood wheelhouse.

With the brisk wind factor, I am playing it safe for the tie and rake my chances in sudden death or whatever the tie breaking format is. Without the wind factor, I am going for the win as that distance would be in my 5 wood wheelhouse.

What Sox said... accept historically I always go for it =*(

Is this a par 4 or is it a par 5? Is there bailout anywhere or is this an island type green?

I would go for the tie, but that's where I am at this point in my golf game. I am not confident enough at this time but I am getting there.

I'm going for the win, 210 with a brisk wind calls for a 3/4 3 wood high and soft.

Would totally depend on how I've played the rest of the round. But chances are I'd go for it. Go big or go home.

I don't have the length to carry the water into the wind plus my play is fairly conservative anyways.

Play for the tie and work magic in extra holes when the opportunity presents.

What Sox said... accept historically I always go for it =*(

I think I am in the same boat. Hopefully my new mindset will choose the best available option versus my ego.

Is this a par 4 or is it a par 5? Is there bailout anywhere or is this an island type green?

Guess I should have been more descriptive...Par 4 with water on front right wrapping around right side of green.

yme5ehah.jpg

Not as severe as the water cutting in from above photo.

Okay not to piggyback off JB, but his thread got me thinking how I would handle the following situation in an event, whether it be match play or a stroke play event.

You are on the 18th fairway with 210 yards left over water (195 carry) brisk wind in the face. Depending on the event you are currently tied with the clubhouse leader or the match is tied. Do you go for the win or play it safe giving yourself the chance to tie?

Honestly for me I think it depends on how well my ball striking has been throughout the round, pin position, and hypothetically if this is match play what my opponent does. If all of the above point in a positive direction I think I go for the win.

Where does your mind have you doing?

I doubt I'd get there into the wind, so I'd more than likely be laying up anyway if it is into the wind. I'd be hoping for the tie I guess.

Guess I should have been more descriptive...Par 4 with water on front right wrapping around right side of green.

Not as severe as the water cutting in from above photo.

Makes it a little easier to figure out hehe. I've got my 215-220 club in hand and I'm aiming at that left bunker trying to hit it in there. If it fades, fantastic. Perfect miss. If it draws, at least I have a lot of green to work with. If it goes into the bunker, hope the lie works out. Being a par 4, I'm having to rely on getting up and down with a third shot from still short of the water. That's no guarantee from what I guess would be 100-130yds into the wind on the rough assumption of this hole? It's still gonna be difficult to make par that way. If it goes in the water, well.. Oh well. It was a poor swing from the fairway. Not like I was in the rough and tried to pull off a miracle shot.

I would never get there even without the wind, I would only be able to play conservative.

With that much distance and the wind in my face, I am not going for the green.

That's a low percentage shot for me. I'm laying up and trying to 1 putt for the tie. At least that route gives me hope...hitting in the water does not.

Wwithout looking farther into it id say it go for it. Even with the wind its a hybo. Like ward said aim a little left and put a good swing on it
My odds from getting up and down from the bunker are just as good as from the layup spot.

With it being a par 4 I am going for it to give me a better chance to 2 putt for the tie. Laying up and leaving 60 to 80 yards is no easy up and down to tie. I would have a better chance to tie with going for it.

Go for it without question.

195 into a brisk wind? I have to lay up and take my chances for a tie. Maybe 195 without the wind I'd go for it.

Odds of hitting it into the water are likely greater than me getting it up and down for the win (which would lose). I would likely go for the layup and tie.

I'm a fan of going for the win, but 200 yards is my limit. I lay up and try to make it happen from there.

Always going for the win

I'll go for the win by taking out the chance of a penalty stroke and hit the shot I know I can handle, which is the lay up. I'm assuming I'm hitting first since I'm a short hitter. That being the case, I'm gonna keep it in play and see what happens from there. If my opponent rinses it after I'm safely laid up then we shall see. If I go for that shot as described, I have like a 45% chance at best.

JM

Obviously a few variables could change my plan, but I would likely lay up. I'm all for being confident but I like to choose my battles and I would hope there might be a more forgiving hole down the road. My game is slow and steady, I generally pounce on people that make mistakes, not hand them a W.

I'm going for it. A solid 3 hybrid should get me there. Plus, laying up still leaves a lot of work left to save par. The way a I look at it, with my game I have a better chance of clearing the hazard than getting up and down from laying up.

Back