TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

I was bummed I ONLY had the 6i. If that 6i launched like that, what's the shorter iron gonna do? I don't know but now I want to :(
I just happen to know a guy with a whole set....

At the testing, my PW was going 140y, which was insane to me, about a 20-30 yard gain. Man I wish I kept the steel shafts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

After a few weeks flirtation with my old irons (lessons, and practice, and I'm stupid) I put these back in my bag for my simulator round tonight and I absolutely could not be any happier. I am two full club lengths longer with the SpeedBlades, and my mishits are definitely not as penal. I struggle to find words to describe how much better of a fit these irons are for me than my last set--and I was convinced I'd never replace my last set. I'm no longer pondering a shaft change or even having them bent to my specifications, they simply worked that well for me tonight. In love all over again.....

2 club lengths wow. What kind of irons have you taken out of the bag?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

After a few weeks flirtation with my old irons (lessons, and practice, and I'm stupid) I put these back in my bag for my simulator round tonight and I absolutely could not be any happier. I am two full club lengths longer with the SpeedBlades, and my mishits are definitely not as penal. I struggle to find words to describe how much better of a fit these irons are for me than my last set--and I was convinced I'd never replace my last set. I'm no longer pondering a shaft change or even having them bent to my specifications, they simply worked that well for me tonight. In love all over again.....

That's pretty hefty! What were your old sticks? That's interesting about the bending. Are you seeing a different ball flight out of these?

These are still probably my favorite irons of the year so far, just SO much awesome in them all around and still def the best set TM has put out IMO.

With how you hit them last night I'm not sure I would do anything to them. Maybe have the lie angles checked at your next lesson, but man they worked for you really well last night.

These are still probably my favorite irons of the year so far, just SO much awesome in them all around and still def the best set TM has put out IMO.

After spending the day with TaylorMade, they feel the same way. They are poised to continue with marketing of the line because they believe in the product.

After spending the day with TaylorMade, they feel the same way. They are poised to continue with marketing of the line because they believe in the product.

This is honestly really nice to hear, the TP line is pretty and has some pretty decent performance in there, but the SpeedBlades just have SO much going for them for such a wide range of golfers.

The speedblades have a higher ball flight than my previous irons and minimal roll out. They don't balloon out either. The ball cuts through the air nicely. I have been very impressed with these best golf purchase I have made.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

This is honestly really nice to hear, the TP line is pretty and has some pretty decent performance in there, but the SpeedBlades just have SO much going for them for such a wide range of golfers.

They're just crazy long, but I was really surprised by the accuracy. Even when it got a bit windy, they really held their line surprisingly well

Wide range is key and so damn true. I can see guys from scratch to a 20 handicapper playing these. They are that good definitely blur the traditional classifications that we give such as GI, players, etc.

2 club lengths wow. What kind of irons have you taken out of the bag?

Ping i20s

That's pretty hefty! What were your old sticks? That's interesting about the bending. Are you seeing a different ball flight out of these?
Ping i20s....and last night ball flight was pretty much dead straight. On the course in the fall, I would draw the ball if I got a little quick, but mostly these irons just want to go straight.

With how you hit them last night I'm not sure I would do anything to them. Maybe have the lie angles checked at your next lesson, but man they worked for you really well last night.
I think that has been my hesitation all along--they work so well, why mess with a good thing?

Ping i20s....and last night ball flight was pretty much dead straight. On the course in the fall, I would draw the ball if I got a little quick, but mostly these irons just want to go straight.

Two club lengths? I love my i20s, I really do, but that's a huge margin and could completely change my bag makeup. If you don't mind me asking, what were your i20 specs? How are the Speedblades different?

Two club lengths? I love my i20s, I really do, but that's a huge margin and could completely change my bag makeup. If you don't mind me asking, what were your i20 specs? How are the Speedblades different?

I only saw one club from those two sets, but one or two, that's still impressive.

SB's launch higher, thats the biggest thing. Not to mention they were more forgiving low on the face as it pertains to maintaining launch, thats the big thing.

Let me clarify that in the fall, it was a full club to club and a half. I went through a lesson two weeks ago that changed my takeaway a bit, and last week I struggled with the i20s. This week back with the SpeedBlades, and ddec was there to see it, I flew every green (don't have exact numbers, but it was just about every green) even after clubbing down. At one point I looked at him and said "that's a two whole club difference from last week."

My i20s are standard length, red dot, regular flex steel with Undersize grips.

SpeedBlades are stock length and lie, stiff flex steel, stock grips.

I only saw one club from those two sets, but one or two, that's still impressive.

SB's launch higher, thats the biggest thing. Not to mention they were more forgiving low on the face as it pertains to maintaining launch, thats the big thing.

One is still huge, agreed. The implications of that distance jump are interesting to say the least. I love the sound of 'good on thin misses' as that's been my miss this offseason.

Man, just when I was feeling satisfied with the i20s... :D Maybe it's time I started putting together a second bag.

Anyone gaming these with Program 95's?

Let me clarify that in the fall, it was a full club to club and a half. I went through a lesson two weeks ago that changed my takeaway a bit, and last week I struggled with the i20s. This week back with the SpeedBlades, and ddec was there to see it, I flew every green (don't have exact numbers, but it was just about every green) even after clubbing down. At one point I looked at him and said "that's a two whole club difference from last week."

My i20s are standard length, red dot, regular flex steel with Undersize grips.

SpeedBlades are stock length and lie, stiff flex steel, stock grips.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm gaming red dots as well, but stiff & +.5". That's awesome that it's working out for you that well. These are a bit upright from the red dots, but your experience is reassuring if I do decide to make the jump.

TaylorMade SpeedBlade Irons Review Thread

Last fall, the 8 iron was my go to club from 150 with the i20s. This winter, combined with swing changes, I've pulled 7 iron from 150 with the i20s. Last night I flew the green twice with the SpeedBlade 9 iron from 155.

I've said all along that I picked up distance with the SpeedBlades, but I've also said in my reviews that I'm not hitting them crazy distances either. For me, this speaks more to the forgiveness of them than anything. In that with my swing changes, mis-hitting the i20s was way more penal than the SpeedBlades. I miss-hit a few last night, but they were generally pin high to the right than 1/2 way to the green.

Last fall, the 8 iron was my go to club from 150 with the i20s. This winter, combined with swing changes, I've pulled 7 iron from 150 with the i20s. Last night I flew the green twice with the SpeedBlade 9 iron from 155.

I've said all along that I picked up distance with the SpeedBlades, but I've also said in my reviews that I'm not hitting them crazy distances either. For me, this speaks more to the forgiveness of them than anything. In that with my swing changes, mis-hitting the i20s was way more penal than the SpeedBlades. I miss-hit a few last night, but they were generally pin high to the right than 1/2 way to the green.

I'm jealous you guys are getting to play!

I (finally) made the trek to go and hit these this past weekend. Unfortunately, my swing was/is rusty, so yeah... didn't really go too well :/

I'm going to put a C-Taper Lite shaft in a 4 iron and see if I like that.

These distance gains are notable. I remember getting maybe 5-10 yards more when I played the Burner. 2.0 irons but like others mentioned I did experience an occasional flyer which really turned me off. However from this thread I'm reading that with the SpeedBladez the crazy flyer is not an issue, just more and predictable distance. So of course now I definitely want to try these out.

I feel is all about distance gaps and how far and accurate can you hit the ball. It doesnt matter what number the club has.

My longest iron in the bag is 200 yards, that's my R11 4 iron, not consistent but, when i hit it right, it will go 200 yards. 3 iron?, cant hit it and when i hit it it will go less than my 4 iron.

With the speed blades, that doesn't change, my longest iron in the bag continues to go 200 yards, is just not the 4 iron anymore, now is the 5 iron., i cant hit the 4 iron(same length as r11 3 iron).

It all depends on the type of player you are, they are filled with tons of forgiveness but if you don't hit them right it doesn't matter. Forgiveness for a 10 hdcp is not the same for a 24 hdcp.

They are packed with forgiveness and technology, that doesn't mean you instantly are going to be able to hit a 39.5 inch 4 iron 225 yards in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back