The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

You guys rock, can't believe the MC is only 4 months out, im sure glad to hear how hard you guys are working and how supportive you all are. Really glad I have 16 months the prepare for next year, especially after this winter :alien: but seriously keep up the good work its awesome to follow along!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I'll be sending my HHI scores to my captain shortly. I expect a strongly worded response. And I blame the snow.

I am a low capper and I could rely on my game as it is today to get me through the next 4 months. You know what, It could work but based on what I saw on Sunday, I have somethings I need to work out and improve upon as to not let my team down. That's what it is all about for me. I want my team to know I care enough about them to put in the same work they are putting in.

I know Trout is working his ass off on a new swing. I know Spicoli is working on his great move. I saw Flog doing work and I know Dan is doing his job. Nate is really working as is Dave out in phoenix. Mward is working on his game and I know this because of his perfoamce today. If I missed a low capper I apologize, but I know first hand that the guys I named are working.

Just so you know I did not take offence to your statement but I wanted to let you know that the low caps are just as motivated as the mid and high cappers. Maybe even more because we have higher expectations on our shoulders to play well.

I like JB's challenge and I hope all 39 of you take him up on his offer and do it. I hope that all 39 of you are being completely honest with yourselves as to where your games really are and where you can get them. There is no shame in working you tail off and giving it your best. If you best falls short in the end, well that is how the cookie crumbles. But you will know in your heart that you gave it 100%. That is all JB is asking and I am glad he did. Ultimately you are going to do what you want but I hope that is the right thing.

I am not going to PM Haek my last three scores on three new courses. I am going to find a course I have not played and turn in that score. I will be calling mward and and War to get this done by next week. I miss my brothers but I also think this will be fun to do together.

As this is my first morgan cup and first 6 months as a member, I can not direct my next comment specifically to the mc.

I can however speak from experience in a large number of competitive activities in varies sports.

I truly believe that the less "experienced" or in this can the higher handicaps have a better motivation. Not trying to ruffle feathers but I can remember many times when I HAD to work for for somwthing. Being the person that many didnt think would improve to the level needed.

The players that have a slightly lower handicap have a cushion. Some wont use it and will work but some may also rely on their current game to get them by.

The ones that are working their tail off to improve are truly the ones I worry about. Because the right motivation and determination csn do amazing things.

So much motivation is being stored up by the thread today. I wasn't sure I was gonna go to the range today due to the weather. After reading the thoughts in hear and talking to my teammates I spent 2 and a half hours at the range. Tonight was the best range session I have had in a long time. Not only did I get some great instruction over the weekend I am super motivated to improve. I can't wait to get my first round in and share it with my Captain!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

There is no shame in working you tail off and giving it your best. If you best falls short in the end, well that is how the cookie crumbles. But you will know in your heart that you gave it 100%. That is all JB is asking and I am glad he did. Ultimately you are going to do what you want but I hope that is the right thing.

Quoting for Truth. With this format there will be a Team of 8 that wins and 32 others that will work their butts off but not win--Trust me I want to win badly, but the MC is not just about that. It is about representing THP and our Sponsors proudly in victory and defeat. This to me means doing everything I can to get ready before the MC for my best 100% effort. I love seeing good quality golf --the tournaments won by 2 closing Birdies and not by someone falling apart and giving it away. Meaning I want to see us all do great out there and hopefully DotCom will do just a bit better :)

I can tell you now that I'll be ramping up my practicing too. Rates are about to drop for playing, and I can definitely tighten up a couple things here and there that are probably some power and accuracy leaks. I feel like I can always get better and could definitely get stronger.

Time to do some effin work

So much motivation is being stored up by the thread today. I wasn't sure I was gonna go to the range today due to the weather. After reading the thoughts in hear and talking to my teammates I spent 2 and a half hours at the range. Tonight was the best range session I have had in a long time. Not only did I get some great instruction over the weekend I am super motivated to improve. I can't wait to get my first round in and share it with my Captain!

hahahaha dude, if only you know what was coming to you this year....

Im truly excited to spark some enthusiasm amongst the masses. It makes me happy to know that everyone is working and will be working their butt off..
I would like to reiterate one last time though thst my first sentence specifically said I cannot direct this to the MC.

With all of this being said, let work...lets enjoy...lets compete and lets have some fun.

I know it's been said a bunch already, but I just wanted to throw in my .02...

At 6.5 GHIN I'm not sure if I'm considered low or mid or whatever but I can tell you right now it doesn't matter. I've practiced putting everyday since I've been selected for at least 30-45 mins a day. It's about all the weather will let me do, but what I'm getting at is I don't care if I started this journey/process at 0.0 GHIN I would still be working my ass off every single day. The best players in the world still work hard every single day because they believe they can improve. If they believe they can I know damn well I can. Cushion or not I will NOT be relying on anything. I'm not taking anything for granted and I want to be the best I absolutely can be come July. I'm sure Tiger works hard right before the majors, well guess what fellas this is a once in a life time opportunity for most if not all of us. I'm taking the Morgan Cup as all 4 majors wrapped into one.

Perfect example for myself. I've been improving quite well with my pretty much homemade swing, I knew it wasn't perfect but I was athletic enough to make it work and record the scores I do. I started my lesson with a PGA Pro nearby 2 weeks ago. He changed a little fundamental things as I told him I was comfortable with my swing and didn't want any drastic changes. Well this past weekend met up with a few Morgan Cup teammates in Ohio for some range time and some instruction with Chris Carfangia he looked at my swing and told me what I needed to do to make it better. Was it what I wanted to hear? No. Did I know if I commit to it and make the changes necessary it will make me more consistent and a better player? Yes. Guess what I started doing the very next day, spent a few bucks on a strike pad and went to the gym my girlfriend is the director at and went to work.

My motivation is simple, I want to be the best for my teammates, for my Captain, for Bridgestone, but more importantly...

I want to be the best golfer I can be...period, for the ultimate golf event...period.

I know it's been said a bunch already, but I just wanted to throw in my .02...

At 6.5 GHIN I'm not sure if I'm considered low or mid or whatever but I can tell you right now it doesn't matter. I've practiced putting everyday since I've been selected for at least 30-45 mins a day. It's about all the weather will let me do, but what I'm getting at is I don't care if I started this journey/process at 0.0 GHIN I would still be working my ass off every single day. The best players in the world still work hard every single day because they believe they can improve. If they believe they can I know damn well I can. Cushion or not I will NOT be relying on anything. I'm not taking anything for granted and I want to be the best I absolutely can be come July. I'm sure Tiger works hard right before the majors, well guess what fellas this is a once in a life time opportunity for most if not all of us. I'm taking the Morgan Cup as all 4 majors wrapped into one.

Perfect example for myself. I've been improving quite well with my pretty much homemade swing, I knew it wasn't perfect but I was athletic enough to make it work and record the scores I do. I started my lesson with a PGA Pro nearby 2 weeks ago. He changed a little fundamental things as I told him I was comfortable with my swing and didn't want any drastic changes. Well this past weekend met up with a few Morgan Cup teammates in Ohio for some range time and some instruction with Chris Carfangia he looked at my swing and told me what I needed to do to make it better. Was it what I wanted to hear? No. Did I know if I commit to it and make the changes necessary it will make me more consistent and a better player? Yes. Guess what I started doing the very next day, spent a few bucks on a strike pad and went to the gym my girlfriend is the director at and went to work.

My motivation is simple, I want to be the best for my teammates, for my Captain, for Bridgestone, but more importantly...

I want to be the best golfer I can be...period, for the ultimate golf event...period.

love this dude. Love everything about this. I can't wait to meet you.

This sums it up absolutely perfectly. There were guys last year that gave it their all and we saw those emotions. And there were guys (in all skill levels) that relied on experience or took the journey "a different way".

Handicap played little role in this...

This is so so true. Handicaps really are an afterthought as soon as we all tee it up.

love this dude. Love everything about this. I can't wait to meet you.

You as well buddy! I can't wait to meet the 39 other participants. I hope all of us take this ride as a way to become the best golfers we possibly can be!

Participants,
We are watching as seasons change and weather permits golfers to work on accomplishing the goals they have set for themselves, their captains, their teams and of course this event. #THPMC can be anything you make it, but it should definitely be a commitment to getting better regardless of your skill level.

I have a challenge to each participant. When possible (weather), I want you to play a course that is unknown to you that might even have a few more hazards than you might be used to. I want you to then send a PM to your captain with your score. Your real score. No fudging, no "well it would have been this". Your actual golf score.

This is not to hinder you from any action or event, but to get a sense of where you might be. We are just a few months away from this event (give or take) and we want everybody playing their best golf. Life gets in the way, and we fully understand that, but we also know that this event is a bit different than most. We know that many times a handicap can usually have a few strokes added to it due to the pressure of a THP Event and we want to make sure that assistance is offered in the form of advice to each participant on how they can get where they need to be.

Its your job as a golfer however to reach out to your captain. To speak to them candidly. To want to help the team win and bring home the glory. As Tour Reps it is our job to make sure that each company is held in the proper light and we believe that EVERY person here can be playing their best golf when they arrive in Myrtle Beach. We have a chance collectively to have all 40 golfers playing their best golf...BUT YOU HAVE TO WANT IT!

If you are not self motivated, ask any person that is returning in this one that has been in one previously, how losing feels. Then find out what you have to personally do to not have that feeling. Skating by and "barely" making it are options...But poor ones at that.

I just wanted to bump this for the evening crew. Thanks for this JB. I couldn't agree more.

There's not a day going by I'm not working on my game in some capacity. I'm on the course 4+ times a week, the range a couple more, and when I can find time I'm in the gym or working out in some capacity, just trying to stay up on strength and flexibility. Don't know if I'd be able to make it to a course that I'm totally blind on. I've played every course that's within 80 miles of home. Maybe a road trip to Tucson is in order.

I am definitely putting in work, I have a long way to go to reach my goals by july.

hahahaha dude, if only you know what was coming to you this year....

You and me buddy to the end!

There's not a day going by I'm not working on my game in some capacity. I'm on the course 4+ times a week, the range a couple more, and when I can find time I'm in the gym or working out in some capacity, just trying to stay up on strength and flexibility. Don't know if I'd be able to make it to a course that I'm totally blind on. I've played every course that's within 80 miles of home. Maybe a road trip to Tucson is in order.

Im sure you can find one that you have played less than most or just once or twice.

Im sure you can find one that you have played less than most or just once or twice.

Can always play different tees too to change courses up.

Might be fun. Me and several of my friends are planning a weekend on the cape the first weekend in May and we are going to play two courses we haven't played. One Saturday and one Sunday. I can't freaking wait.

Not gonna quote the Freddie post but I agree with it 100%. This year there appears to be a lot more under 7 handicappers than in years past. Any one of us could draw that low handicapper. It happened last year. If that doesn't motivate each and every one of us on our #JourneyToBetter then I don't know what will.

There is nothing better knowing that each day I practice or play, that what I'm doing on that day, gets me one step closer in playing my best against Trout, Freddie, Canadan, Howzat or who ever the lucky person(s) I play come July. I don't want to lose to a scratch player and I don't want to lose to a 15 handicapper (although I fully expect everyone to be lower than that!!!) You will get equal treatment regardless of handicap. That is part of my #JourneyToBetter and I hope it's part of yours.

I have it firmly in my mind that I WILL draw a scratch or near scratch player in a match. With that in mind I know for sure I have my work cut out for me. I will do everything I can to put up a point regardless who I match against

You never know who you'll draw in your match, so you have to prepare for all possibilities!

With the first day of spring right around the corner, hopefully everyone's weather will change for the better.

No need in worrying in things you can't control. I'm focused on my game and the games of my teammates. I'm glad that everyone of the other teams are working to improve and are getting better, but it's not something I care about (no disrespect to anyone). If I play a lower handicap than I, all I can do is play my game. I can't change the course to make or do anything else to alter my opponent's play.

Play my game, trust my swing and I'll walk away satisfied win or lose.

No need in worrying in things you can't control. I'm focused on my game and the games of my teammates. I'm glad that everyone of the other teams are working to improve and are getting better, but it's not something I care about (no disrespect to anyone). If I play a lower handicap than I, all I can do is play my game. I can't change the course to make or do anything else to alter my opponent's play.

Play my game, trust my swing and I'll walk away satisfied win or lose.

While you cannot change the course or their game, you can have your game significantly better minimizing the chances of playing someone with a lower index than yourself. And while I am sure people are working at it, I tend to believe that most are not doing everything they can. Their choice and not my place, but I read and see a lot and tend to believe that I am correct.

Back