The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

As this is my first morgan cup and first 6 months as a member, I can not direct my next comment specifically to the mc.

I can however speak from experience in a large number of competitive activities in varies sports.

I truly believe that the less "experienced" or in this can the higher handicaps have a better motivation. Not trying to ruffle feathers but I can remember many times when I HAD to work for for somwthing. Being the person that many didnt think would improve to the level needed.

The players that have a slightly lower handicap have a cushion. Some wont use it and will work but some may also rely on their current game to get them by.

The ones that are working their tail off to improve are truly the ones I worry about. Because the right motivation and determination csn do amazing things.

not that it matters cause I'm not in it. But I don't agree with this at all. And if it's the case with anyone then they need to evaluate why they're in this, and what it means on a personal
level. There is no one group of cappers that needs more motivation than the other. All are equal.

not that it matters cause I'm not in it. But I don't agree with this at all. And if it's the case with anyone then they need to evaluate why they're in this, and what it means on a personal
level. There is no one group of cappers that needs more motivation than the other. All are equal.

The event is for the whole place T2G. Your opinion matters just as much as a participant.

Again I said I cant specifically say this is for the morgan cup. However in my experience in sports people who are slightly better or have more expeirence sometimes rely on thaat instead of working as hard as people who have to work hard.

Let me just say, and I know it wasn't meant by anyone's posts. Please don't put me on a pedestal for the improvement I went through last year. Was it a fun journey? Of course and I am having even more fun the second time around, but let me say this, the only thing that got me to improve was hard work, which means ANYONE can do it. I didn't drink a magical potion or have some special talent.

Hopefully it's not coming off as brash, I appreciate all of it. But it's just hard work, that's all it takes. Anyone can do it with the right mindset!

Have I mentioned I love this place lately?

All you needed was to be inspired, and an ice cream cone.

You're team is going down, hard. But, I'm still really proud of you.

As this is my first morgan cup and first 6 months as a member, I can not direct my next comment specifically to the mc.

I can however speak from experience in a large number of competitive activities in varies sports.

I truly believe that the less "experienced" or in this can the higher handicaps have a better motivation. Not trying to ruffle feathers but I can remember many times when I HAD to work for for somwthing. Being the person that many didnt think would improve to the level needed.

The players that have a slightly lower handicap have a cushion. Some wont use it and will work but some may also rely on their current game to get them by.

The ones that are working their tail off to improve are truly the ones I worry about. Because the right motivation and determination csn do amazing things.

I also can't agree with your statement here. Sure the 5-6 Handicaps probably don't have to worry about meeting the 18 handicap level. And the 14-17 players may feel the pressure as they are closer to the bubble.

However, I think that if you're in the event, everything should be done to ensure your game is the absolute best it can be come July. Without working towards that goal, you are not doing your teammates, the event, your sponsors, or yourself justice.
The motivation has to be there to perform to your best.
Everyone is expecting that!

And I agree with this whole heartedly.

I'm taking my game to another level for July. I've got too many people on Team DotCom and at Callaway looking at me to play well. I can't rest on what I've been doing. Not for a second.

Again I said I cant specifically say this is for the morgan cup. However in my experience in sports people who are slightly better or have more expeirence sometimes rely on thaat instead of working as hard as people who have to work hard.

I feel you have to work hard regardless of handicap because there will always be someone working as hard or harder than you with the sole purpose of beating you in this event.

Where the handicap difference might come into play is certain experiences on the course during competition and how to handle them

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

The guys that show up in Myrtle and do not put in the work will regret it. Even the guys with the cushion. There is no better feeling than being able to walk of the course knowing you gave everthing you had. It brought out emotions I did not know I had last year and has made my prep this year even more intense than last.

I agree that even those low handicappers are putting in the work. They may not post about it on a daily basis, but come July I hope everyone's game is in top form.

I realized a lot of things this week and know where I need to put in some dedicated work. What everyone related to the MC on a personal level or not, needs to remember when it comes to team competitions you aren't playing for yourselves, but for the whole group. Letting someone down is not in my outlook for the future.

I also can't agree with your statement here. Sure the 5-6 Handicaps probably don't have to worry about meeting the 18 handicap level. And the 14-17 players may feel the pressure as they are closer to the bubble.

However, I think that if you're in the event, everything should be done to ensure your game is the absolute best it can be come July. Without working towards that goal, you are not doing your teammates, the event, your sponsors, or yourself justice.
The motivation has to be there to perform to your best.
Everyone is expecting that!

Agree 100 percent. Everyone should be working their butt off to get better. Everyone should be putting in the time so that when there name is called they are ready.

Just a statement from previous experiences. Just an opinion that the ones that know they have to work harder catch more of my attention then the ones that have the option.

Am I saying that any one of the 40 participants are doing this... no. For the thrill of competition, I sure as h#ll hope note. It just something that happens.

The guys that show up in Myrtle and do not put in the work will regret it. Even the guys with the cushion. There is no better feeling than being able to walk of the course knowing you gave everthing you had. It brought out emotions I did not know I had last year and has made my prep this year even more intense than last.

This sums it up absolutely perfectly. There were guys last year that gave it their all and we saw those emotions. And there were guys (in all skill levels) that relied on experience or took the journey "a different way".

Handicap played little role in this...

What everyone related to the MC on a personal level or not, needs to remember when it comes to team competitions you aren't playing for yourselves, but for the whole group. Letting someone down is not in my outlook for the future.
I'm not in the Morgan Cup, but having competed at the collegiate level in another sport this is a critical mindset to have when it comes to sports and frankly, life in general.

It's one thing to have a bad day, or peak at the wrong time, when you gave it your all and it just wasn't enough. Anyone who has competed will have experienced that. It is however another thing entirely to coast along, confident in your own abilities only to fall flat on your face and put everyone else's hard work to waste. You'll know you failed, and worst of all ... they'll know it too.

The one thing to remember here is HEART and DESIRE. O.K., that was two, but I don't care what your cap is, If you don't have the DESIRE to get better for yourself, then your teammates and the community at large can help motivate you. Either way, it takes HEART. You have to want to do it, whatever the reason. Just to lay a couple of for instances out there:

1. This may never happen to any of us ever again. I have the desire to make the ABSOLUTE MOST of it I can.
2. I have always wanted to be better than I am/have been. I now have the desire to do it. Call it motivation if you will.
3. Knowing that my sponsor, this community, JB and GG, my Capt. and team are relying on me to bring my very best, fuels the desire I have to be the best I can be.

If none of that motivates you to work hard then you might want to schedule an appointment with a Dr. to see if you actually have a heartbeat.

Just my .02

I think what Golferbest said has merit for sports competitions in general. The difference is this is with THPers, a totally different breed. No doubt everyone is going to be working hard on their game. But at the same time, with 40 participants, there is inevitably going to be some people who work harder than others. Which doesn't mean all 40 aren't gonna work their tail off, cuz I'm sure you are. I'm sure everyone will be ready to bring their best stuff come July.

This is a great opportunity to get some Morgan Cuppers and King players in on a common challenge. AtlGolfer, flog2424, and Vman, could all come to my golf course for a round and then I could go to one of their golf courses. Sound like a plan?

Don't forget me! :) I'd love to join you guys at your places and reciprocate by hosting you at mine.

The emotions last year were not expected, but when you reach your ultimate goal, and you've worked so hard to get there, I just let them overtake me. I don't even care that x amount of people saw me bawling like a child.

Guys, you think you're having fun now, just wait until everyone starts trickling into Myrtle. I guarantee this Cup is going to come right down to the wire.

Well said Erik, being able to walk off the course of battle with your head held high knowing you left it all out there and had yourself prepared to play your best golf is an amazing feeling.

I hope everyone takes these discussions seriously, you owe it to yourself, your team, your competitors, Josh, Morgan and all of THP to have your golf game in tip top shape.

And I know you all can do it!!!

I think that's a great idea! I'd be glad to host a get together at my home course. It's a bit of a drive for some, but I think y'all would love the course, and find it challenging. It's a given, Bill, that I'll be over to tee it up with you on Lane Creek soon.

I will also add that you all can come down to Eagles Landing any time you would like. We could have a little MC prep series on a bunch of hard courses

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Don't forget me! :) I'd love to join you guys at your places and reciprocate by hosting you at mine.

I'm sure we can get Dawg, MillerTime and a few others to join us so we can round out some foursomes and get this done. I'll work on setting up the one at Lane Creek and send you all a PM!

Barry -- I would never purposely forget ya buddy :thumb: I was thinking of Morgan Cuppers getting with us Kingsters and working on the course challenge. I think it will be a ton of fun :bomb:

I like this challenge, now I really want the snow gone!!

This is exciting to me. Can't wait to get out there and test myself a little.

I am playing a course I know all too well this Saturday so I can't use that one so how about my practice round from next Friday which will be the course that we uusefor the next stop in the invitational series?

I would call that a good test.

I'll put this out there for anyone traveling to the Houston area prior to the MC. I am willing to get a round together at a course and have a match play game with anyone interested. I know I'm not in the MC, but figured a new course and match play situation could help anyone getting their game in shape.

I've been so pumped about the MC today...now reading the last couple of pages in this thread made me hungrier than ever.

I had a feeling last year that while I did give my everything, there was something missing at certain points...I was maybe in awe of the experience a bit and lost my concentration.
It made me rethink myself as a golfer and a person, there's a lot of different ways to experience things like the MC, there's no right or wrong, but I know this time will be different.
I have grown, I know myself better, I want more, I hunger for more, I will be better, I am better. We need more. We are better, we will be ready. We are the Morgan Cup.

We all want to play the best golf of our lives, we can.
This is going to be fun!!

I am playing a course I know all too well this Saturday so I can't use that one so how about my practice round from next Friday which will be the course that we uusefor the next stop in the invitational series?

I would call that a good test.
I think our match play on Sat. will help you get ready for the MC, so don't discount that aspect of it. Also, I'm game if you want to move the round to the Hills course to get a different look.

I think our match play on Sat. will help you get ready for the MC, so don't discount that aspect of it. Also, I'm game if you want to move the round to the Hills course to get a different look.

Without question our matches help me, not discounting it at all! Plus we can do a match in Lake Charles next Friday.

If we want to change courses, let's take that to our DFW thread. :)

I could not agree with you more.

When I got into the Morgan Cup, I didn't sit back as a sub 5 handicap. Not a chance. I took my game to heights I wasn't sure i could ever achieve. I left that tournament knowing that I gave it everything I had and felt sorry for those who didn't. I can't imagine the feeling that ate the pit of their stomachs for weeks following. Coulda woulda.

Anyone who sits idly by and waits for the Morgan Cup without improving is going to get squashed. By teammates and by competition.

Back