The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Although this is a very special event to push yourself to new levels. For those of us that aren't playing in July. Why wait for an event to take your game with these guys. You never know what event could have your name on it. Or why not do it for you. Challenge yourself.

Just got caught up on all of the posts from last night.

So many fantastic posts and things said that I would do it a disservice trying to mention them all.

This forum, this event, and all of the people involved have changed my life dramatically in an extremely positive way.

I've been lucky enough to play in this event twice already and I can honestly say that heading into this event in 4 months it is extremely different than years past.

The teams are different, the attitude is different, and the people are different. The motivation and desire are different.

It has always been a competition but the seriousness of it has changed IMO.

My drive to be better is different and the expectations from my team are different.

It will be obvious in a few months whom has embraced this event for everything that it is, I will be one of those people.

Motivation at this point shouldn't be needed but I'll be damned if it isn't having quite the impact on me.

Thank you Josh.

Before I found THP, golf was a hobby for me, it was something I did from April to October, and didn't really think about during the winter. Never took a lesson, never really put a plan together to improve, didn't spend much time on the range unless I wanted to release some steam by smashing my driver as hard as I could. When I came to THP, I saw that golf could be so much more, and I really started focusing on areas I could improve, and actually started practicing with a purpose, but still didn't have an end goal in mind. Fast forward to December, and my name gets called... that took my focus to an even higher level. For the first time ever I spent time in the winter practicing my swing and my putting, I solicited advice from a swing guru (Mr. Kong), looking for lessons (will begin shortly), and focusing on continuing my weight loss journey and more importantly on training my body for golf specifically. As someone just below the limit for this competition, I have a long ways to go to reach my goal, and it's a lofty goal, but I'm filled with purpose and a drive to reach that goal. If I do everything I can, and dedicate myself to this mission, I'm confident I can reach it, but if I don't, I will at least be proud to say that I gave it my all. Fortunately for me, I've got a team and a captain who will encourage me to give "everything you've got" to make sure I don't let them down, let you (the THP community) down, Josh and Morgan down, or this amazing event down. #DoWorkDotCom

We always owe it to ourselves to get and be better but we owe it to JB, Morgan, our Sponsors, and each other to bring our best. This is going to be an event of a lifetime for me, and the only prepare for it is to work work work and be as good as I can. I owe it to the event and I owe it to all my competitors and teammates.

It's our defining moment in Amateur golf, don't let it define you!

Scheduling an Aimpoint lesson and registering for a tournament here in NJ for July 12th today. I want to be ready in all aspects, physically and mentally.

We always owe it to ourselves to get and be better but we owe it to JB, Morgan, our Sponsors, and each other to bring our best. This is going to be an event of a lifetime for me, and the only prepare for it is to work work work and be as good as I can. I owe it to the event and I owe it to all my competitors and teammates.

It's our defining moment in Amateur golf, don't let it define you!

I totally agree Marc! We do owe to many more than just ourselves when it comes to these sort of events. We felt it when we hit Carlsbad and during the lead up to the grandaddy. It powerful, and it's amazing what that pressure does on a positive way.

Posting this from the SeeMore thread where Dev shared a comment made to him by a putting instructor who knows about the Morgan Cup.

I'm familiar with THP and their relationship with SeeMore and the Morgan Cup. I am also a Bridgestone staff professional and the company has been very involved in both. Congrats on the chance to play in that event - it's supposed to be a lot of fun!

I recommend you come for a session at the beginning of the season and we can do an assessment and give you some things to work on. Then you can come back for an "eval"/refresher about a month before the tournament. As you know, golf is a motor learning sport so you always want to give yourself some time to allow the practice to take hold and avoid having technical thoughts during competition. If you need a little touch up before you leave we can talk about that then.

I believe in and teach in the SPi system but I can do that with any putter. If you need help selecting a Callaway model what will give you the best chance for success, just let me know.

Congrats again on the opportunity! I coach a lot of competitive players and I would enjoy helping you make the most of the experience.

All the best,

Paul

Paul had been contacted by Dev and he mentioned the MC. Sometimes we forget the reach of our community. Paul works closely with two OEM's who are stellar supporters of this community and the Morgan Cup. They obviously DO talk about things. If this doesn't speak to you about the importance of performing, not just for yourself, but for your team, JB/GG, your sponsor and this community in the best possible light, then nothing will. This comment is not necessarily directed at anyone, but posted more as information and PROOF that this wonderful place we feel so warm and fuzzy about and enjoy daily has far reaching roots that are spreading throughout the industry daily. What we do in July will be seen and discussed by more than any of us really know or understand. Think about it from this perspective. Enjoy it for sure, but I think if you look at it from the outside it will bring a new level of anticipation and and responsibility to our task.

I LOVE THIS! I WANT THIS! I hope you do to. My #JourneyToBetter has its first stop in Myrtle Beach. I'll see you there and I'll do the absolute best that I can to bring it to those who watch with interest. To coin a phrase, I look forward to beating each of you!

JM

Finally got some down time this week after being busy and wow all kinds of positive and inspiring comments in here. Always great to read comments and get even more pumped up and push the motivation meter higher. After being selected one of the best things ever was everyone from THP reaching out and congratulating me. Really made me feel like a rockstar,special, and especially grateful to represent THP, Cleveland Golf and Srixon. This might be a once in lifetime opportunity for me or others, and going into July to the THPMC I will not be looking back and thinking about what I have not done. I am going to keep very positive and work my tail off because I know there are tons of THP'ers out there that would do anything to be in the position that I am in. I will succeed and there's no other options on the table. It's so amazing that I can reach out to fellow THP'ers and especially my Team Albatross to help me improve myself and my game. If your not mentally prepared it's going to make this journey tough for you, and with everyone giving inspiring message's makes me feel so amazing. I first want to THANK JB and GG, you are amazing and do so much for us, can't wait to meet you in May. You guys have made this the truly Ultimate Event and I am so Honored to be apart it. THANK YOU!!! And Thanks to all my Teammates and everyone on THP!!! I will not take this for granted and will work on my game and show you in July what hard work really does to your game. And like Michael Breed says "LETS DO THIS"!!!!!!!!!!

Having been blessed with being selected to be a part of it this year is OTT to me, just like my swing (not in July though). Everyone's perception is different and their reality, cast the first stone if you will, but look in the mirror first. Growth is something few look for these days and simply want the quick fix, and then quickly dismiss the accomplishment and on to the next want. Most anyone would want this, all I want is for those taking on this gift to do so from within, for everyone involved... Those that only see the glitter and the perks will vanish, it's the quality that holds me not the quantity. A vision was made into reality one can't find anywhere else, for me I don't plan to squander away simply getting by.

This opportunity has been given to a very few select. What is saddening is that there are very few of those select still around. What list will you be on?

I just shared this post with my team and wanted to share it online as well.

"Hey fellas, I wanted to make a post in here and tell you how my round went Wednesday. I needed a day or two to kind of compose my thoughts and get some things sorted out. Also, I want everyone to be 100% honest with how their rounds are going and felt like I could set the tone on that by being 100% honest right from the start.

A lot of you know that I completely tore down my swing this winter and built it from scratch, I've worked my tail off and had built some pretty high expectations for myself because of some of the changes I made. I went into it thinking I was going to set the world on fire, and I didn't. On top of that, I'm playing with the guy who created the dang thing, so I put even more pressure on myself to perform.

I ended up shooting a 105 Wednesday. It's an embarrassing score to post, and I was pretty down on myself afterwards to be honest, how could I put in so much work and see so little results? The answer is simple really. I put very high, unrealistic expectations on myself and when things started to go south on the course, I pressed and made it even worse.

Was there some good things to take out of it? Absolutely, and even JB complimented me on how much better my swing was, it just needs some fine tuning and oiling. I will be ready for Myrtle Beach, I will not let any of you down and if anything, I will be working even harder now for these last 4 months. That round opened my eyes to a lot of things and now that I have had some time to reflect on it, I am ready to improve even more.

What I wanted to tell you guys is I want you to be honest with everyone as we go through the process, don't just post and tell us your good rounds, tell your bad ones too. Being 100% honest with each other and yourselves is the only gonna to make you and our team better.

My goal for this post was to get that communication line open, don't be afraid of judgement from everyone, because that's not what this team is about.

Let's start hearing about those scores as they come in fellas and let's start holding each other accountable and motivate ourselves to make ourselves better!"

You know, I could have not posted this, because this score technically wouldn't count towards my handicap, because it doesn't start counting scores until April 1, but I felt I needed to share it with the community because it's going to motivate me to make myself even better than before.

Will some people judge me by this score? You bet.

Will they question my place as an Asst Captain? Sure.

Do I care? Nope.

Because they aren't there in my basement at 9:30 when I'm working, or haven't seen the improvement I've made since Dec. The game will be there by July, don't you worry about that.

I love this event too much to let it down and I hope everyone feels that same way. Keep on keeping on guys!

Brad...just an awesome post. Good round or bad, it's all hard work towards one wonderful goal.

I like you Brad. You get it and you have since day 1.

I just shared this post with my team and wanted to share it online as well.

"Hey fellas, I wanted to make a post in here and tell you how my round went Wednesday. I needed a day or two to kind of compose my thoughts and get some things sorted out. Also, I want everyone to be 100% honest with how their rounds are going and felt like I could set the tone on that by being 100% honest right from the start.

A lot of you know that I completely tore down my swing this winter and built it from scratch, I've worked my tail off and had built some pretty high expectations for myself because of some of the changes I made. I went into it thinking I was going to set the world on fire, and I didn't. On top of that, I'm playing with the guy who created the dang thing, so I put even more pressure on myself to perform.

I ended up shooting a 105 Wednesday. It's an embarrassing score to post, and I was pretty down on myself afterwards to be honest, how could I put in so much work and see so little results? The answer is simple really. I put very high, unrealistic expectations on myself and when things started to go south on the course, I pressed and made it even worse.

Was there some good things to take out of it? Absolutely, and even JB complimented me on how much better my swing was, it just needs some fine tuning and oiling. I will be ready for Myrtle Beach, I will not let any of you down and if anything, I will be working even harder now for these last 4 months. That round opened my eyes to a lot of things and now that I have had some time to reflect on it, I am ready to improve even more.

What I wanted to tell you guys is I want you to be honest with everyone as we go through the process, don't just post and tell us your good rounds, tell your bad ones too. Being 100% honest with each other and yourselves is the only gonna to make you and our team better.

My goal for this post was to get that communication line open, don't be afraid of judgement from everyone, because that's not what this team is about.

Let's start hearing about those scores as they come in fellas and let's start holding each other accountable and motivate ourselves to make ourselves better!"

You know, I could have not posted this, because this score technically wouldn't count towards my handicap, because it doesn't start counting scores until April 1, but I felt I needed to share it with the community because it's going to motivate me to make myself even better than before.

Will some people judge me by this score? You bet.

Will they question my place as an Asst Captain? Sure.

Do I care? Nope.

Because they aren't there in my basement at 9:30 when I'm working, or haven't seen the improvement I've made since Dec. The game will be there by July, don't you worry about that.

I love this event too much to let it down and I hope everyone feels that same way. Keep on keeping on guys!

Thank you for sharing this post Brad. It really hit home like a ton of bricks. This is the part of the journey I believe most of us are here for.

Well said Brad! It was your first round and that is to be expected. Look at it this way...I had the worst three rounds of my life last week. I beat myself up over it and just kept plugging away. It takes time going from your basement to the course. Your rewards will be seen in no time.

I wanted to say I watched all three rounds of the MC 2013 last night. You grinded it out and played some awesome golf. Just think what it will be like this year!!!

Just trying to let people know that it is not a bad thing to struggle. That's why it is called a journey, if it was easy, everyone could do it. It's how you respond to those struggles that determine whether you are successful or not

Just trying to let people know that it is not a bad thing to struggle. That's why it is called a journey, if it was easy, everyone could do it. It's how you respond to those struggles that determine whether you are successful or not

heck yes buddy. Struggle is part of the game and it's certainly part of the journey. Never anything to be ashamed about.

Keep fighting Brad, you have a whole team behind you to lean on for support!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Keep fighting Brad, you have a whole team behind you to lean on for support!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Not just your team Brad. We are all behind you. I want all 40 people playing their absolutely best in July.

Completely agree Brad. Struggles are what you learn from. You only grow from them and they make you stronger in the future. I am sure you will take what you learned from this round and apply it for the future.

Completely agree Brad. Struggles are what you learn from. You only grow from them and they make you stronger in the future. I am sure you will take what you learned from this round and apply it for the future.

I know when I have a bad round it fuels me to work harder and practice longer.

I wouldn't panic about that round Brad. Waterlefe isn't exactly the easiest course in the world, especially the first time seeing it. Find some positives from your round, transfer it over to your next.

Great stuff Brad. It's a journey and you get it.

Announcement

Format Change!
Just like last year, THP is mixing it up this year again. The 1st round of competition (Saturday Morning) will have two separate formats in which the teams and match stay the same, but the format changes at the turn.

This post still has me fired up. Excited to hear what the formats will be for the Ultimate Amateur Golfing event of 2014.

Loving all the changes. Brews up much excitement. I think I see a shamble? Possible alternate shot

Back