Does your 1st hole dictate your round?

• Total voters

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
After my last couple rounds, it seems like my first hole dicatated how the rest of the round went, 1 I holed out from the bunker for birdie, the next I hacked around for a bogey, both rounds went entirely different, and I'm wondering if the start dictates.

So the question:

For me I say yes!

It did today. I played a match play round, my opponent eagled the par 5 1st hole, I parred it and I never recovered.

No, thank goodness. I rarely par the first hole, and I probably score more doubles than pars on it. I would need to find a new course!

It used to, but I'm much better at hunkering down these days. If anything, it slaps me in the face that its time to play some golf.

For me it doesn't. I just move forward and know I have 17 more holes to meet my goal

Only if I double or triple it. I seem to just always never fully recover. However a birdie, par or bogey and I don't know how the round will go.

Interesting topic here. I generally use the first hole as a sort of warm up and a par is just fine with me usually and my round can either stay there or go down hill. It's not indicative of the round to come for me, but it will be something I look for in a trend in the future.

Nope, it one of eighteen holes and doesn't define a round.

Not really especially since my back 9 is usually better

Nope thankfully it doesn't. The opening hole is rarely awesome for me.

For me, the first hole usually won't reflect how the rest of the day will go. That is sometimes a good thing.

Grip n Rip
@bigtazzGOLF

Thank goodness it doesn't. Otherwise I probably won't be playing the game as much as I do.

Not at all. I usually start slow. Just a first of 18 holes for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Absolutely not. Good or bad, the second hole is a new hole.

It doesn't for me because I need a couple holes to warm up. I play once a week but with no practice in between.

My first hole has never been an accurate determination of how my round will play out. Plenty of times I have started with a double bogey and ultimately played a great round, while other times I have started with birdie only to have that be one of very few holes with a score of par or better.

Not at all, I actually expect to bogey the first hole lol. The back 9 is where I like to come alive for some reason, just a late starter I guess.

It used to. But I am starting to learn that one -maybe even two- bad holes can be recovered from as long as I don't press and play relaxed.

I wouldn't say it dictates my round but it can certainly affect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I usually start slow then I build off of it. If I have a band round it could but for the most part it doesn't.

I wish it did....the last several rounds I have made par or better on the first hole....downhill from there...LOL

I voted no. 17 more holes to be played, so good or bad, I just move on.

Nah. Sometimes it can set the tone if I start poorly especially, but I know many rounds I have started with par (sometimes better) and still stunk it up overall.

I can't definitively say yes or no. I typically play the first hole fairly well but if I play it terribly it doesn't really hurt the rest of my round.

Back